    I hope this makes sense.
    TIA
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Sep 12, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
    > bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
    > CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
    > the CPU type and clock speed?
    > I hope this makes sense.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    POST (Power On Self Test) should show you CPU and RAM at boot, no floppy
    needed
    ie. boot the machine up, and watch the machine do a ram count, and show
    the cpuinfo
    if it goes too fast, hit Pause|Break at the appropriate time, if a splash
    screen comes up instead, try TAB

    HTH

    Shane, Sep 12, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    >If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
    >bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
    >CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
    >the CPU type and clock speed?
    >I hope this makes sense.
    >TIA
    >Brian Tozer

    I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros around.
    Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into a full GUI
    - automatically detecting your network/internet connection - without
    writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just peeking into the BIOS,
    though.

    I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux" reply,
    but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this respect.

    Adam.
    Adam, Sep 12, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    >> If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction)
    >> but the bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use
    >> for a floppy or CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much
    >> RAM the system has, and the CPU type and clock speed?
    >> I hope this makes sense.
    >> TIA
    >> Brian Tozer

    > I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros around.
    > Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into a full GUI
    > - automatically detecting your network/internet connection - without
    > writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just peeking into the BIOS,
    > though.
    >
    > I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux" reply,
    > but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this respect.

    Or you could just boot a Memtest 86+ floppy. It'll tell you the CPU family,
    speed, L2 cache, installed memory and mobo chipset. Only takes 10 seconds to
    boot too.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Adam wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction)
    >>> but the bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use
    >>> for a floppy or CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much
    >>> RAM the system has, and the CPU type and clock speed?
    >>> I hope this makes sense.
    >>> TIA
    >>> Brian Tozer

    >> I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros around.
    >> Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into a full GUI
    >> - automatically detecting your network/internet connection - without
    >> writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just peeking into the BIOS,
    >> though.
    >>
    >> I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux" reply,
    >> but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this respect.

    > Or you could just boot a Memtest 86+ floppy. It'll tell you the CPU
    > family, speed, L2 cache, installed memory and mobo chipset. Only takes 10
    > seconds to boot too.

    Perfect. Downloaded the ISO and burnt it as an Image in Nero, and it does
    exactly what you said, and what I wanted.
    And tests the RAM as a bonus... :)))
    Thanks Misfit.
    KiwiBrian, Sep 13, 2005
  6. KiwiBrian

    ~misfit~ Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Adam wrote:

    >>> I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros
    >>> around. Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into
    >>> a full GUI - automatically detecting your network/internet
    >>> connection - without writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just
    >>> peeking into the BIOS, though.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux"
    >>> reply, but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this
    >>> respect.

    >> Or you could just boot a Memtest 86+ floppy. It'll tell you the CPU
    >> family, speed, L2 cache, installed memory and mobo chipset. Only
    >> takes 10 seconds to boot too.

    > Perfect. Downloaded the ISO and burnt it as an Image in Nero, and it
    > does exactly what you said, and what I wanted.
    > And tests the RAM as a bonus... :)))
    > Thanks Misfit.

    No problem, pleased to help.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2005
  7. In article <dg4flj$si1$>,
    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    >If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
    >bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
    >CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
    >the CPU type and clock speed?

    Besides the obvious Linux Live CDs, there's the Ultimate Boot CD
    <http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/>.

    Or if you want something that'll fit on a floppy, how about FreeDOS
    <http://www.freedos.org/>.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2005
  8. KiwiBrian

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in

    > hit Pause|Break at the appropriate time, if a splash
    > screen comes up instead, try TAB

    And if that does not work, memtest86 floppy

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 13, 2005