    Is this a known phenomenon/effect?
    I am using up to date OE on an XP system.

    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, May 24, 2004

  2. KiwiBrian

    Peter Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > Quite often I will receive two copies of messages sent from within NZ. I
    > have always assumed that it was due to some problem at the senders end.
    > It is now happening to messages that I send.
    > Is this a known phenomenon/effect?
    > I am using up to date OE on an XP system.

    read the headers in the emails
    I've seen it where a misconfigured mail server was sending on messages when
    it shouldn't. That is, when I sent a message to several people (one of who
    had an account at the misconfigured mailserver), that server sent the email
    on to everyone else it was addressed to. So all the other people got the
    email twice, once direct from me and another relayed by this mail server.
    Same thing happens when others send to our group.
    You can see what servers the email has been through by reading the headers.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, May 25, 2004

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    > > Quite often I will receive two copies of messages sent from within NZ. I
    > > have always assumed that it was due to some problem at the senders end.
    > > It is now happening to messages that I send.
    > > Is this a known phenomenon/effect?
    > > I am using up to date OE on an XP system.

    > read the headers in the emails
    > I've seen it where a misconfigured mail server was sending on messages

    when
    > it shouldn't. That is, when I sent a message to several people (one of

    who
    > had an account at the misconfigured mailserver), that server sent the

    email
    > on to everyone else it was addressed to. So all the other people got the
    > email twice, once direct from me and another relayed by this mail server.
    > Same thing happens when others send to our group.
    > You can see what servers the email has been through by reading the

    headers.

    Thanks Peter.
    I will dig deeper.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, May 25, 2004
  4. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > read the headers in the emails
    > I've seen it where a misconfigured mail server was sending on messages when
    > it shouldn't. That is, when I sent a message to several people (one of who
    > had an account at the misconfigured mailserver), that server sent the email
    > on to everyone else it was addressed to. So all the other people got the
    > email twice, once direct from me and another relayed by this mail server.
    > Same thing happens when others send to our group.
    > You can see what servers the email has been through by reading the headers.

    Yeah, I have seen that before when some "IT Guy" thought it would be a good idea
    to collect from a pop account and then feed it into there smtp server to save on
    the cost of a static IP address..

    Richard, May 27, 2004