    connect the pc and laptop?
    Does this make sense!
    Thanks

    Smiffie72, May 26, 2008

  2. Smiffie72

    Lem Guest

    Smiffie72 wrote:
    > Just had cable installed and so now have a cable modem to access net on pc.
    > Used to access the net through the phone line using a Inventel DV4210 which
    > was set up wirelessly for PC and Laptop.
    > I've been told that if I want to go wireless, I now need to buy a wireless
    > cable router.
    > I'm not bothered about having the pc wireless but it would be handy to still
    > access the net, emails and files on the laptop.
    > Is it possible to use the wireless functions of the Inventel modem to
    > connect the pc and laptop?
    > Does this make sense!
    > Thanks

    You are talking about two separate devices: a "modem" and a "router."
    Sometimes, but far from always, these devices are combined in one
    physical package. However, the "modem" that you need to use dialup is
    not the same and is in no way interchangeable with the "modem" you need
    for cable Internet access.

    So, if one could use just the router portion of your Inventel DV4210,
    then theoretically you could connect it to the cable modem and do what
    you want. I don't know anything about this device, and the Inventel
    website seems inaccessible at the moment, so I can't look it up.

    If I were you, however, I'd buy a separate wireless router (note: you do
    not want a "cable router" which implies another all-in-one device).
    Check out brand names like Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, and the like.
    Inventel boxes seem to be mostly in the UK and Europe, and I'm not
    familiar with the brands of wireless routers readily available there.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, May 26, 2008

  3. Hi
    The Inventel DV4210 is a DSL Modem/Wireless Router combo.
    Being a combo there it direct access to the WAN side of the device.
    Since you switched to Cable Internet service the DV4210 is useless for Cable
    connection.
    So you need a Router No matter what.
    If I had to buy a Wireless Router out of the USA I would go with this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-WHR...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211314998&sr=1-14
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers, or
    and, the vendors that I mentioned.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 27, 2008
  4. Smiffie72

    James Egan Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 03:22:01 -0700, Smiffie72
    <> wrote:

    >Just had cable installed and so now have a cable modem to access net on pc.
    >Used to access the net through the phone line using a Inventel DV4210 which
    >was set up wirelessly for PC and Laptop.
    >I've been told that if I want to go wireless, I now need to buy a wireless
    >cable router.
    >I'm not bothered about having the pc wireless but it would be handy to still
    >access the net, emails and files on the laptop.
    >Is it possible to use the wireless functions of the Inventel modem to
    >connect the pc and laptop?

    It's a possibility if there are enough wired LAN ports available to
    plug everything in. You would need to leave the WAN port on the router
    unused and just use the LAN port(s) so that it's only operating as a
    wireless access point. You would also need to enable ICS on the xp
    desktop to perform the routing and address translation previously done
    by the Inventel. The xp desktop would then become your network's
    default gateway.

    If you haven't got enough LAN ports to plug everything in, you might
    consider bridging the wired and wireless interfaces on the desktop
    instead of using the Inventel as an access point though the preferred
    option is to use the Inventel if you can.

    Read about ICS and bridging (if required) here
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/index.htm

    Jim.

    James Egan, May 28, 2008