    picture to fit in an email centered in the email space in perhaps a 4" by 5"
    space).

    MB
    MB_, Oct 23, 2004

  2. MB_

    Mike Guest

    I'd recommend ACDSEE for this - it is good at emailing pictures and gives
    you the option of choosing a picture size.

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    > OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
    > I can take a picture and store it on my computer.
    >
    > Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).
    >
    > I can do this, but it seems to take up way too much of the screen; the
    > picture is way too large. Now, I can sometimes find the corners and shrink
    > it, but it is hard to do it right. Is there a way to copy a picture from

    one

    Mike, Oct 23, 2004

  3. MB_

    Harvey Guest

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    > OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
    > I can take a picture and store it on my computer.
    >
    > Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).
    >
    > I can do this, but it seems to take up way too much of the screen; the
    > picture is way too large. Now, I can sometimes find the corners and shrink
    > it, but it is hard to do it right. Is there a way to copy a picture from
    > one of the picture software programs into my email and have it paste there
    > at the same size it is in the program.
    >
    > (I hope this makes sense. Perhaps a better way is to say how can I get a
    > picture to fit in an email centered in the email space in perhaps a 4" by
    > 5" space).
    >
    > MB

    You just need the right software. Microsoft Picture It! Publishing works
    well to pull up those large image files and compress them to 20k to 40k for
    sending in an email.
    Harvey, Oct 23, 2004
  4. MB_

    Matt Ion Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
    > I can take a picture and store it on my computer.
    >
    > Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).

    Unfortunately, as an attachment is the only way you can include a
    picture in an email. The trick is in how the receiving mailer handles
    it: some will display the picture in-line, some will only let you view
    it separately.

    > I can do this, but it seems to take up way too much of the screen; the
    > picture is way too large. Now, I can sometimes find the corners and shrink
    > it, but it is hard to do it right. Is there a way to copy a picture from one
    > of the picture software programs into my email and have it paste there at
    > the same size it is in the program.

    Someone else suggested ACDSee6 - this program works great for emailing
    pictures. One other concern, besides image dimensions, is file size: a
    full-size 3MP JPG straight from the camera can be a meg and a half, and
    the attachment for it can be up to twice that because of the encoding
    process. JPGs from my 6.3MP Digital Rebel run around 3-5MB in size.
    Many ISPs do not allow attachments of this size; freebie Hotmail users
    are limited to 1MB *total* in their Inboxes: large images often simply
    won't get delivered.

    With ACDSee6, you can select the maximum size an email can be, and when
    sending one or more pictures, it will automatically adjust the size and
    compression to make them fit.
    Matt Ion, Oct 23, 2004
  5. MB_

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> schrieb
    > Unfortunately, as an attachment is the only way you can include a picture
    > in an email. The trick is in how the receiving mailer handles it: some
    > will display the picture in-line, some will only let you view it
    > separately.

    Using HTML encoded mail, you actually can insert a picture the same way as
    in a web page. Not all EMail readers can use this, but if the recipient is
    using a client capable of that its an option.

    > One other concern, besides image dimensions, is file size: a full-size 3MP
    > JPG straight from the camera can be a meg and a half, and the attachment
    > for it can be up to twice that because of the encoding process.

    The mime encoding blows up the size by 4/3, but you have a good point.
    Sending a 1MB picture will be more than 1MB in transfered size which can
    cause some problems due to (inbox) limitations.

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    http://cpicture.de/en
    Jürgen Eidt, Oct 23, 2004
  6. MB_

    Matt Ion Guest

    Jürgen Eidt wrote:

    > "Matt Ion" <> schrieb
    >
    >>Unfortunately, as an attachment is the only way you can include a picture
    >>in an email. The trick is in how the receiving mailer handles it: some
    >>will display the picture in-line, some will only let you view it
    >>separately.

    > Using HTML encoded mail, you actually can insert a picture the same way as
    > in a web page. Not all EMail readers can use this, but if the recipient is
    > using a client capable of that its an option.

    It must still encode the file (usually using MIME64) for transfer and
    enclose it in the message as an attachment... again, whether it actually
    displays inline is dependant on the receiving mailer.
    Matt Ion, Oct 23, 2004
  7. MB_

    Bill Crocker Guest

    If you set your email problem for HTML format, you can take just about any
    jpeg picture, cut & paste it, right in your email. For emailing pictures, I
    shoot at 1024x768 resolution. If the picture already exist, and it's too
    large, I create a copy of it, and downsize it, in my photo editor.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 23, 2004
  8. MB_

    Jim Townsend Guest

    MB_ wrote:

    > OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
    > I can take a picture and store it on my computer.
    >
    > Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).
    >
    > I can do this, but it seems to take up way too much of the screen; the
    > picture is way too large.

    Monitor screens display a fixed array of pixels. This array is
    generated by the graphics card within your computer.

    If you use MS Windows, If you right click on your desktop you'll
    get a pop up window titled 'display properties'.

    Click on the 'settings tab' near top. Here, you'll see what
    your graphics card is currently set to..

    It could be 800x600 pixels or 1024x768 pixels or even higher..

    Lets say for example YOUR display is set to 1024 x 768.

    This means 1024 pixels are used to make the full width of your screen
    and 768 pixels are used to make the full height of your screen.

    Now lets say your camera produces images that are 1600 x 1200 pixels.

    Will an image that is 1600 pixels across fit on a screen that is fixed
    to display 1024 pixels across.. No..

    You'll see the first 1024 pixels of the image, but the remainder
    (576 pixels) will extend off the end of the screen. Same goes for the
    height. And.. As you've noticed... It just won't fit.

    What you have to do is *change* the image from 1600 x 1200 pixels to
    1024 x 768 pixels. A 1024 x 768 image will fit exactly on a 1024 x 768
    screen. It's the perfect size for a wallpaper image too. You won't
    have to use the 'size to fit' option.

    You can 'shrink' your image using a host of editing programs.. Others
    responding to your post have provided a few good names.

    To go further.. If you want an image to be smaller and only fill say 1/2
    of your 1024x768 screen, then you need to shrink it to 512 x 384. Simple :)

    One last thing.. You should know the screen size of the people you're mailing
    your images to. If you have 1024x768 images fitting nicely in your 1024x768
    screen.. they WON'T fit if your friend has his screen set to 800 x 600 pixels.
    In this case you might want to scale your images down to 800 x 600 pixels

    Actually 800x600 is a good web size, since the chances nowadays of someone
    using a smaller resolution (like 640x480) is very rare, so this size will
    fit just about everyone's monitor.
    Jim Townsend, Oct 23, 2004
  9. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Bill:

    Yes I have enabled my OE for HTML format. I can use my photo program to get
    the picture the size I want.

    But if I save it and then try and INSERT it into my EMAIL as a PICTURE, it
    is blown back up. I'm missing something here.

    Mel

    MB_, Oct 23, 2004
  10. MB_

    Markeau Guest

    The free Picasa is very easy and very good for auto-reducing pics and
    attaching to email.
    Markeau, Oct 23, 2004
  11. MB_

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "MB_" <> writes:

    > OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
    > I can take a picture and store it on my computer.

    Good deal. That's probably half the battle right there.

    > Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).

    I think netpbm with djpeg/cjpeg is still the best software for shrinking
    jpegs to a nice size while maintaining picture quality. I have a batch
    file to drive these programs.

    http://img.ourdoings.com/windows.html

    It's really for uploading a pile of photos to a web site, but you can
    edit do.bat in notepad and put REM at the front of the line that starts
    with ZIP. That way it will merely shrink the files; it won't pack them
    all into a zip file. Put the shrunk versions in your email; picture
    sizes tend to hover around 50Kb.

    --
    Make that pile of digital photos presentable: http://ourdoings.com/
    It's quicker and easier than you think.