Quation about HP printer OfficeJet G95

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rolf, Jul 7, 2007.

  1. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Hi,

    Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is not
    new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
    question:

    The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
    Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
    identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot remember
    where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
    'branches' pointing upwards.

    Can anyone tell me what it is for?

    (At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there are
    three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
    Telephone line.
    Telephone.
    Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
    means the computer should have an analog modem.)

    Rolf, Jul 7, 2007

  2. Rolf wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is not
    > new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
    > question:
    >
    > The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
    > Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
    > identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot remember
    > where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
    > 'branches' pointing upwards.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what it is for?
    >
    > (At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there are
    > three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
    > Telephone line.
    > Telephone.
    > Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
    > means the computer should have an analog modem.)

    If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they are
    ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
    USB port.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 7, 2007

  3. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Re: Question about HP printer OfficeJet G95

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Rolf wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is

    not
    > > new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
    > > question:
    > >
    > > The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
    > > Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
    > > identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot

    remember
    > > where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
    > > 'branches' pointing upwards.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me what it is for?
    > >
    > > (At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there

    are
    > > three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
    > > Telephone line.
    > > Telephone.
    > > Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
    > > means the computer should have an analog modem.)

    > If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they are
    > ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
    > USB port.

    Uhm, I am not so sure about that. I connected the telephone line and the
    telephone, and I got the dial tone. Would I have got that if it was an
    Ethernet port? Besides, the contacts had symbols for phone, line and pc.

    But the USB - I also thought it should be that, but looking itno the contact
    it doesn't look like it is. But maybe, maybe it should have a special cable.

    Rolf, Jul 7, 2007
  4. Rolf

    Larry Guest

    Re: Question about HP printer OfficeJet G95

    This OfficeJet sounds like it has Fax capabilities if it has phone
    connections, which are RJ-11, not RJ-45. The "Connection to Computer" might
    be an RJ-45. You can tell the difference in that RJ-11 connectors have four
    contacts. RJ-45 will have eight.

    Larry

    "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Rolf wrote:
    : > > Hi,
    : > >
[...]
    : >

    Larry, Jul 7, 2007
  5. Rolf

    SgtMinor Guest

    Rolf wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rolf wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is

    > not
    >
    >>>new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
    >>>question:
    >>>
    >>>The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
    >>>Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
    >>>identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot

    > remember
    >
    >>>where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
    >>>'branches' pointing upwards.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone tell me what it is for?
    >>>
    >>>(At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there

    > are
    >
    >>>three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
    >>>Telephone line.
    >>>Telephone.
    >>>Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
    >>>means the computer should have an analog modem.)

    >>If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they are
    >>ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
    >>USB port.

    > Uhm, I am not so sure about that. I connected the telephone line and the
    > telephone, and I got the dial tone. Would I have got that if it was an
    > Ethernet port? Besides, the contacts had symbols for phone, line and pc.
    >
    > But the USB - I also thought it should be that, but looking itno the contact
    > it doesn't look like it is. But maybe, maybe it should have a special cable.

    USB cords have different connectors on either side. The flat connector
    connects to the computer, the "squarish" connector fits the appliance.

    SgtMinor, Jul 7, 2007
  6. Rolf

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > This OfficeJet sounds like it has Fax capabilities if it has phone
    > connections, which are RJ-11, not RJ-45. The "Connection to Computer"

    might
    > be an RJ-45. You can tell the difference in that RJ-11 connectors have

    four
    > contacts. RJ-45 will have eight.

    Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
    assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts. While
    telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

    But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer conctact? It
    doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

    Rolf, Jul 8, 2007
  7. Re: Question about HP printer OfficeJet G95

    Rolf wrote:

    > Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
    > assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts. While
    > telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

    Networks neeed 4 but use 8, but let's not haggle over details.

    > But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer conctact? It
    > doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

    Does it look something like (gotta be using monospaced plain text for this):

    __
    / \
    |__|

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 8, 2007
  8. Rolf

    why? Guest

    Re: Question about HP printer OfficeJet G95

    On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 10:36:11 +0200, Rolf wrote:

    With HP kit (or any) including the model code like C6740A helps.

    >"Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> This OfficeJet sounds like it has Fax capabilities if it has phone
    >> connections, which are RJ-11, not RJ-45. The "Connection to Computer"

    >might
    >> be an RJ-45. You can tell the difference in that RJ-11 connectors have

    >four
    >> contacts. RJ-45 will have eight.
    >>

    >Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
    >assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts. While

    Even RJ-45 is a generic term used incorrectly.

    8P8C, picture.
    http://www.gpskit.nl/images/rj45pcb.jpg

    Phones are commonly RJ11.
    http://www.dspglobal.com/adapt RJ11 schem.jpg
    6P4C

    >telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

    Usually 4 i.e.2 pairs and 1000Mbps or 1Gbps used the 8 and another
    variant or 2.

    >But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer conctact? It
    >doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

    How odd in that case, pictures are always handy. Maybe a vendor specific
    micro USB port.

    So it's not this then?
    http://www.housing.wisc.edu/resnet/images/rj45-1.jpg

    >> Larry
    >>
    >> "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    >> :
    >> : "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> : news:...
    >> : > Rolf wrote:
    >> : > > Hi,
    >> : > >
    >> : > > Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the

    >printer
    >> is
    >> : not
    >> : > > new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
    >> : > > question:
    >> : > >
    >> : > > The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation
    >> says.
    >> : > > Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I
    >> cannot

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jul 8, 2007
  9. Rolf

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Rolf wrote:
    >
    > > Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
    > > assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts.

    While
    > > telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

    > Networks neeed 4 but use 8, but let's not haggle over details.
    >
    > > But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer

    conctact? It
    > > doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

    > Does it look something like (gotta be using monospaced plain text for

    this):

    > __
    > / \
    > |__|

    Am I stupid - I don't have the printer in question here, but your question
    prompted me to look at the printer that I do have here - another HP, a
    Deskjet 380 - and dammit, it has the same type of contact! And that contact,
    is not like the other USB contacts that I am familiar with, and have on
    several other units here.

    OK, so I cant trust USB to be USB like I used to trust DB-25 to be just
    DB-25 - but then I always used to have a gender bender at hand...

    But that settles it, I gotta go out and get me a HP USB printer cable.

    BTW, the contact on the printer is square hole with a square 'block' in the
    middle , and the contact on the cable has a square hole that fits over the
    square on the printer contact.

    Thanks to all who have tried to help - and without your help, I don't know
    how long it would have taken me to solve the mystery. 24H is a great place!

    Rolf, Jul 9, 2007
  10. Rolf

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:11:48 +0200, Rolf wrote:

    >"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Rolf wrote:
    >>
    >> > Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
    >> > assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts.

    >While
    >> > telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

    >> Networks neeed 4 but use 8, but let's not haggle over details.
    >>
    >> > But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer

    >conctact? It
    >> > doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

    <snip>

    >But that settles it, I gotta go out and get me a HP USB printer cable.
    >
    >BTW, the contact on the printer is square hole with a square 'block' in the
    >middle , and the contact on the cable has a square hole that fits over the
    >square on the printer contact.

    This then
    http://www.allproducts.com/ee/fuyao/Product-200567144515.jpg
    USB Type B socket.