Quasi-Blog

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by E. Eugene Herbert, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4500 to see what all the film vs. digital
    was all about. My initial pix were unimpressive, especially the
    rendering of skintones - but the flash was probably the cause
    of that.
    This year I took the Coolpix on my usual September trek into
    Colorado and Utah. When I printed the best ones on my HP
    photo printer back home at 8"X10", I was astounded! These
    are "better" than the 35mm film photos I'd taken in the past!
    I then wondered what these would look like at 16"X20".
    I used PSP to cut one 1600X1200 image into 4 parts, printed
    them @ 8"X10" and put them together on a posterboard. Hmm,
    not bad! So, I googled the 'Net for a 16"X20" photo lab and
    Shutterfly showed up. I just now got back 3 16"X20" prints
    from them, and I'm just astounded at what this digital world
    is delivering!.
    I try my best not to let my brain use these pix to recall
    what those scenes looked like, and try to just stop at
    the print itself and contemplate its rendering of that scene.
    It usually takes months for me to do that, so I'm probably
    mentally recalling the images anyway.
    But so what? If these 16"X20" prints are so good that
    it facilitates that process, what is the problem? Isn't that
    why I took the photos? Really, the 16"X20" renderings
    of those photos is so good that I'm no longer pining for
    the Mamiya 7, although I'll bet that an 8 megpixel digicam
    would be even nicer than this Coolpix 4500.
    Although I hand-held that digicam, the detail is
    amazing (however, it was a sunny day).
    Guess I'll ebay my Nikon N90s but will keep the
    lenses for that day when 24X36mm-sized digital sensor
    based cams are affordable.
    Thank God I live in this world of digital computers
    and cameras, Rituxan, and V*i*a*g*r*a !

    E. Eugene Herbert

    Does your State pay lawyers to sue it? Alabama does!
    E. Eugene Herbert, Dec 5, 2003

  2. E. Eugene Herbert wrote:
    > I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4500 to see what all the film vs. digital
    > was all about. My initial pix were unimpressive, especially the
    > rendering of skintones - but the flash was probably the cause
    > of that.

    Definitely. Flash is terrible, especially on P&S cameras where you
    can't use bounce or an external unit at least. But it's a necessary
    evil sometimes. It's either that or dark, unusable pictures.

    > This year I took the Coolpix on my usual September trek into
    > Colorado and Utah. When I printed the best ones on my HP
    > photo printer back home at 8"X10", I was astounded! These
    > are "better" than the 35mm film photos I'd taken in the past!

    I have been impressed as well. My coolpix 990 took great pictures and
    my D100 does even better. As soon as I saw the pictures from that I
    sold all my 35mm film stuff.

    The ironic part is that thanks to digital I print more 8x10 then I ever
    did with film. I even printed my first 11x17 this year, something I had
    NEVER done on film.

    Digital allows me to share my pictures, view them easily (on computer,
    TV, etc), print whatever I want and do it all immediately without a trip
    to Walmart and a wait for developing and processing, which usually
    didn't look very good anyway due to incompetent printing.

    I am in complete control.

    > Thank God I live in this world of digital computers
    > and cameras, Rituxan, and V*i*a*g*r*a !

    I will go with the digital computers and cameras, can't comment on the
    other two.
    Andrew McDonald, Dec 5, 2003