Quartz.dll is crashing Windows Explorer , help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jeff, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    The past couple of days I've seen some strange things happening with
    my PC. I have anti virus and anti spyware programs installed and
    updated, no worries there.

    I have a couple of xvid encoded avi files, if I start windows
    explorer and highlight one of them (single click) and then click to
    another xvid avi file windows explorer comes up with a serious error
    and closes windows exploerer (sometimes it will reboot my machine.)

    The serious error points to quartz.dll

    where should I start with this?

    I've tried typing this using the run command, it reregistered the dll
    but it doesn't fix anything.

    regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\quartz.dll

    jeff, Sep 13, 2005

  2. jeff

    Duane Arnold Guest

    jeff <> wrote in

    > The past couple of days I've seen some strange things happening with
    > my PC. I have anti virus and anti spyware programs installed and
    > updated, no worries there.
    >
    > I have a couple of xvid encoded avi files, if I start windows
    > explorer and highlight one of them (single click) and then click to
    > another xvid avi file windows explorer comes up with a serious error
    > and closes windows exploerer (sometimes it will reboot my machine.)
    >
    > The serious error points to quartz.dll
    >

    > where should I start with this?

    A more descriptive error message for starters.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 13, 2005

  3. jeff

    Trax Guest

    jeff <> wrote:

    |>The past couple of days I've seen some strange things happening with
    |>my PC. I have anti virus and anti spyware programs installed and
    |>updated, no worries there.
    |>
    |>I have a couple of xvid encoded avi files, if I start windows
    |>explorer and highlight one of them (single click) and then click to
    |>another xvid avi file windows explorer comes up with a serious error
    |>and closes windows exploerer (sometimes it will reboot my machine.)
    |>
    |>The serious error points to quartz.dll

    Properties of that file show it's a DirectShow support file.

    Start\Run DXDIAG <enter> and see what it's got to say.

    --

    http://media.putfile.com/PurePwnage-WoWisafeeling

    Trax, Sep 13, 2005
  4. jeff

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:48:49 GMT As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
    and then jeff <> wrote :

    >The past couple of days I've seen some strange things happening with
    >my PC. I have anti virus and anti spyware programs installed and
    >updated, no worries there.
    >
    >I have a couple of xvid encoded avi files, if I start windows
    >explorer and highlight one of them (single click) and then click to
    >another xvid avi file windows explorer comes up with a serious error
    >and closes windows exploerer (sometimes it will reboot my machine.)
    >
    >The serious error points to quartz.dll
    >

    >where should I start with this?
    >
    >I've tried typing this using the run command, it reregistered the dll
    >but it doesn't fix anything.
    >
    >regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\quartz.dll

    Download a DirectX update and install it.Usually fixes the quartz.dll
    problems as it's a .dll from DX and integrated into the multimedia
    side.

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Sep 13, 2005
  5. jeff

    fred-bloggs Guest

    jeff <> wrote in

    > The past couple of days I've seen some strange things happening with
    > my PC. I have anti virus and anti spyware programs installed and
    > updated, no worries there.
    >
    > I have a couple of xvid encoded avi files, if I start windows
    > explorer and highlight one of them (single click) and then click to
    > another xvid avi file windows explorer comes up with a serious error
    > and closes windows exploerer (sometimes it will reboot my machine.)
    >
    > The serious error points to quartz.dll
    >

    > where should I start with this?
    >
    > I've tried typing this using the run command, it reregistered the dll
    > but it doesn't fix anything.
    >
    > regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\quartz.dll

    Try Run....
    regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

    You will lose the video details (resolution,bit rate,etc) displayed in
    Explorer.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Sep 13, 2005