quantum t5d, 580 ex,battery box , Flash Extender FX-3 ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by picture taker, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. I have done some weddings with the 20 d 580 ex speed light combo with
    rechargeable batteries carefully to have fresh ones in during the
    ceremony(well the whole day )
    so far been lucky ,don't want to push my luck and started looking into
    the quantum t5d with turbo 2 x 2 battery charger etc ($1200.00 )

    it is a lot of $ so I was doing my homework and found thur a link on a
    dpreview forum

    http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm
    $300.00

    al breaks down the components hands down alls black box looks like the
    way better deal

    without the flash of course , it would power my current 580 ex .
    I also do sports and side by side it looks like the quantum has
    further each than the 580 ex and also alls black box takes 2-3 seconds
    to recycle the quantum 1 second ,critical while doing weddings bride
    kissing the groom coming down the aisle ,hmm ?

    I also came across this
    that would help me to get further reach with the 580 ex

    Flash Extender FX-3

    http://www.rpphoto.com/store/product_view.asp?cat=1&subcat=1&ProdID=102-007
    $ 50.00

    it breaks down to
    get alls black box with room to spare on money saved to buy a custom
    flash bracket ($250.00 b&h) also I would have room to get the flash
    extender .
    I could live with the 2-3 second recycle time pick my shots well ,slow
    walk down the aisle always have my 10 d &420 ex to get a different
    lense perspective while the flash is recycling .

    or get the quantum $1200.00 plus the custom bracket total
    $1450.00

    it looks like im leaning towards the black box but im open for
    suggestions/experience .
    thank you
    --
    photographyguy

    picture taker, Apr 15, 2006

  2. picture taker

    Skip M Guest

    "picture taker" <> wrote in message
    >I have done some weddings with the 20 d 580 ex speed light combo with
    > rechargeable batteries carefully to have fresh ones in during the
    > ceremony(well the whole day )
    > so far been lucky ,don't want to push my luck and started looking into
    > the quantum t5d with turbo 2 x 2 battery charger etc ($1200.00 )
    >
    > it is a lot of $ so I was doing my homework and found thur a link on a
    > dpreview forum
    >
    > http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm
    > $300.00
    >
    > al breaks down the components hands down alls black box looks like the
    > way better deal
    >
    > without the flash of course , it would power my current 580 ex .
    > I also do sports and side by side it looks like the quantum has
    > further each than the 580 ex and also alls black box takes 2-3 seconds
    > to recycle the quantum 1 second ,critical while doing weddings bride
    > kissing the groom coming down the aisle ,hmm ?
    >
    > I also came across this
    > that would help me to get further reach with the 580 ex
    >
    > Flash Extender FX-3
    >
    > http://www.rpphoto.com/store/product_view.asp?cat=1&subcat=1&ProdID=102-007
    > $ 50.00
    >
    > it breaks down to
    > get alls black box with room to spare on money saved to buy a custom
    > flash bracket ($250.00 b&h) also I would have room to get the flash
    > extender .
    > I could live with the 2-3 second recycle time pick my shots well ,slow
    > walk down the aisle always have my 10 d &420 ex to get a different
    > lense perspective while the flash is recycling .
    >
    > or get the quantum $1200.00 plus the custom bracket total
    > $1450.00
    >
    > it looks like im leaning towards the black box but im open for
    > suggestions/experience .
    > thank you
    > --
    > photographyguy

    I use a Sunpak T-2000 battery pack with my 580 EX flash, I get 200-500
    flashes from a "cluster" (the replaceable battery) depending on strength.
    B&H has them for about $250 plus $68 for a second "cluster." It hasn't let
    me down yet, and I've been shooting weddings with it for about a year.
    The one clear advantage of the Sunpak over what I can discern about the
    Black Box is that the Sunpak uses a Quantum cable to hook up to the high
    voltage socket in the 580, rather than through the battery compartment door.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 15, 2006