    "The two most abundant things in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
    --Robert A. Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, Frank Zappa, and many others
    "Living free is the best revenge." --GT
    Gary G. Taylor, Feb 24, 2006

  2. Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > (relayed from alt.hacker)
    >
    > What would happen if you powered up your computer and it gave you some
    > results before opening any program? You would probably think that some
    > kind of malware has infested your system. But with the optical quantum
    > computer designed by researchers from the University of Illinois at
    > Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), this is now a reality. This quantum computer can
    > find the answer to an algorithm without running it by using
    > "counterfactual computation." And if you think it's bizarre, even the
    > leader of the scientists' team agrees with you: "To my mind, quantum
    > mechanics doesn't get any more mysterious than this."
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/index.php?p=170

    I read the whole article and it said nothing of experimenters hearing an
    MP3 before it was played or experiencing an orgasm before looking at
    porn. Seems incomplete.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 24, 2006

  3. Gary G. Taylor gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > (relayed from alt.hacker)
    >
    > What would happen if you powered up your computer and it gave you some
    > results before opening any program? You would probably think that some
    > kind of malware has infested your system. But with the optical quantum
    > computer designed by researchers from the University of Illinois at
    > Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), this is now a reality. This quantum computer can
    > find the answer to an algorithm without running it by using
    > "counterfactual computation." And if you think it's bizarre, even the
    > leader of the scientists' team agrees with you: "To my mind, quantum
    > mechanics doesn't get any more mysterious than this."
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/index.php?p=170

    All well and good, but will it pick the winning Powerball numbers for me?

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is
    The Old Sourdough, Feb 24, 2006