    What flash unit out there will do this for me the best? Is it one of the
    two above, or is it another one?

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Clyde Torres

    GT40 Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:25:25 GMT, "Clyde Torres"
    <> wrote:

    >If YOU could afford either one, would you buy the Canon 580EX or the
    >Quantaray T4d, assuming you have a Canon 20D? I bought a ProMaster 5750DX
    >once upon a time for a P&S camera. I was very dissatisfied, mostly because
    >the hot shoe fitting broke rather early in its life. I also found out that
    >the camera/flash combo didn't control the light output very well. Today I
    >am looking for a flash unit that controls the light as a function of all the
    >camera variables, including the zoom setting, f-stop, focus distance, etc.
    >What flash unit out there will do this for me the best? Is it one of the
    >two above, or is it another one?

    580EX no question

    GT40, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Clyde Torres

    DM Guest

    "Clyde Torres" <> wrote in message news:<p0kdd.20767$>...
    > If YOU could afford either one, would you buy the Canon 580EX or the
    > Quantaray T4d, assuming you have a Canon 20D? I bought a ProMaster 5750DX
    > once upon a time for a P&S camera. I was very dissatisfied, mostly because
    > the hot shoe fitting broke rather early in its life. I also found out that
    > the camera/flash combo didn't control the light output very well. Today I
    > am looking for a flash unit that controls the light as a function of all the
    > camera variables, including the zoom setting, f-stop, focus distance, etc.
    > What flash unit out there will do this for me the best? Is it one of the
    > two above, or is it another one?

    The new promaster 7500 is pretty darn good, and comes with a solid metal
    hot shoe which is even sturdier than Canon's flashes. In one test it
    trashed the 550EX in terms of exposure accuracy. I believe the price is
    around $150, take a good look at that.

    DM, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Clyde Torres

    Tony Guest

    Never trust Qunatary. Ritz buys from the cheapest source. Get the Canon and
    you will have a flash you can trust.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Clyde Torres

    Robert Guest

    Could be Ok

    http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc031.htm

    Robert, Oct 20, 2004
  6. Clyde Torres

    Skip M Guest

    > If YOU could afford either one, would you buy the Canon 580EX or the
    > Quantaray T4d, assuming you have a Canon 20D? I bought a ProMaster 5750DX
    > once upon a time for a P&S camera. I was very dissatisfied, mostly
    > because
    > the hot shoe fitting broke rather early in its life. I also found out
    > that
    > the camera/flash combo didn't control the light output very well. Today I
    > am looking for a flash unit that controls the light as a function of all
    > the
    > camera variables, including the zoom setting, f-stop, focus distance, etc.
    > What flash unit out there will do this for me the best? Is it one of the
    > two above, or is it another one?
    >
    > Clyde Torres

    Do mean "Quantum," not "Quantaray?" A huge difference. The Quantum flashes
    are among the most respected on camera flashes for pro photographers,
    ranking at or above the level of Metz. Quantaray is the house brand of Ritz
    Camera, and not well respected.
    AFAIK, Quantaray does not make a T4D, while Quantum does.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Oct 20, 2004
  7. Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > Do mean "Quantum," not "Quantaray?" A huge difference. The Quantum

    flashes
    > are among the most respected on camera flashes for pro photographers,
    > ranking at or above the level of Metz. Quantaray is the house brand of

    Ritz
    > Camera, and not well respected.
    > AFAIK, Quantaray does not make a T4D, while Quantum does.
    >
    > --
    > Skip Middleton
    > http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Thank you for making this most important distinction, Skip. I really did
    mean Quantum, the maker of the T4d. I will pose my question again. Which
    one would YOU (pl) buy, the Canon 580EX or the Quantum T4d? Does the
    Quantum T4d accept data like focal length, focus distance, aperture, etc.,
    from the Canon 20D in determining how much light to flash? I want a flash
    that very accurately flashes the amount of light needed to take a picture of
    the subject at the specified parameters that the 20D provides. Is the
    Quantum T4d personalized for each camera, or does it hook to any ol' camera
    and figures it out?

    Clyde Torres
    QSBT = Quantaray Sux Big Time
    RSBT = You figure it out

    Clyde Torres, Oct 21, 2004
  8. Clyde Torres

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Clyde Torres"

    >Clyde Torres
    >QSBT = Quantaray Sux Big Time
    >RSBT = You figure it out

    Ritz.

    Annika1980, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Clyde Torres

    Skip M Guest

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> Do mean "Quantum," not "Quantaray?" A huge difference. The Quantum

    > flashes
    >> are among the most respected on camera flashes for pro photographers,
    >> ranking at or above the level of Metz. Quantaray is the house brand of

    > Ritz
    >> Camera, and not well respected.
    >> AFAIK, Quantaray does not make a T4D, while Quantum does.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Skip Middleton
    >> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    > Thank you for making this most important distinction, Skip. I really did
    > mean Quantum, the maker of the T4d. I will pose my question again. Which
    > one would YOU (pl) buy, the Canon 580EX or the Quantum T4d? Does the
    > Quantum T4d accept data like focal length, focus distance, aperture, etc.,
    > from the Canon 20D in determining how much light to flash? I want a flash
    > that very accurately flashes the amount of light needed to take a picture
    > of
    > the subject at the specified parameters that the 20D provides. Is the
    > Quantum T4d personalized for each camera, or does it hook to any ol'
    > camera
    > and figures it out?
    >
    > Clyde Torres
    > QSBT = Quantaray Sux Big Time
    > RSBT = You figure it out

    I've been told that the Quantum does just that. I have a wedding to shoot
    on Sunday, and one on Friday, that I'm renting this very flash to do, with a
    eye to buying 2 of same, having gotten tired of battling the limitations of
    my 420EX flashes. I'll let you know the results. Quantum has a module for
    each type of camera, theirs is ETT-L enabled, so it should work with ETT-L
    II just like the Canon flashes.
    One reason I'm considering going with Quantum over Canon is that I have the
    540EZ, and I don't think it is as capable as the Quantum T4D, and the 550EX
    isn't that much of an improvement over the older model, IMHO.

    Skip M, Oct 21, 2004
  10. Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > I've been told that the Quantum does just that. I have a wedding to shoot
    > on Sunday, and one on Friday, that I'm renting this very flash to do, with

    > eye to buying 2 of same, having gotten tired of battling the limitations

    of
    > my 420EX flashes. I'll let you know the results. Quantum has a module

    for
    > each type of camera, theirs is ETT-L enabled, so it should work with ETT-L
    > II just like the Canon flashes.
    > One reason I'm considering going with Quantum over Canon is that I have

    the
    > 540EZ, and I don't think it is as capable as the Quantum T4D, and the

    550EX
    > isn't that much of an improvement over the older model, IMHO.
    >
    > --
    > Skip Middleton
    > http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    By all means please let us know how the T4d performs.

    Thanks.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Oct 22, 2004
  11. Clyde Torres

    Skip M Guest

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been told that the Quantum does just that. I have a wedding to
    >> shoot
    >> on Sunday, and one on Friday, that I'm renting this very flash to do,
    >> with

    >> eye to buying 2 of same, having gotten tired of battling the limitations

    > of
    >> my 420EX flashes. I'll let you know the results. Quantum has a module

    > for
    >> each type of camera, theirs is ETT-L enabled, so it should work with
    >> ETT-L
    >> II just like the Canon flashes.
    >> One reason I'm considering going with Quantum over Canon is that I have

    > the
    >> 540EZ, and I don't think it is as capable as the Quantum T4D, and the

    > 550EX
    >> isn't that much of an improvement over the older model, IMHO.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Skip Middleton
    >> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    > By all means please let us know how the T4d performs.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Clyde Torres

    Do me a favor, if I forget, or lose track of this thread, email me after the
    1st of Nov. I have a wedding this Sunday and again on Friday, the 29th,
    using these flashes for both.

    Skip M, Oct 22, 2004