Quality snaps in USB tethered mode?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joachim Lous, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous Guest

    I need a digicam that can take still-quality images of >2Mpx while
    tethered to a PC via USB, and allow PC sofware to receive them.

    Release by software or manual button on camera, I don't care

    But the images _must_ be of the proper quality as when snapping normal
    shots, none of that dark and blurry webcam stuff.
    And it must be possible to transfer them immediately (polling the
    camera "drive" will suffice, if necessary.

    Ability to use flash in this mode and USB-powered operation would be
    nice bonuses, but not critical.

    Does such a beast exist? in the prosumer or lower part of the market?
    Price should preferably be as low as possible provided the requirements
    are met, but please let me know of anything suitable.

    Hope someone can help.

    Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Joachim Lous wrote:

    > I need a digicam that can take still-quality images of >2Mpx while
    > tethered to a PC via USB, and allow PC sofware to receive them.
    >
    > Release by software or manual button on camera, I don't care
    >
    > But the images _must_ be of the proper quality as when snapping normal
    > shots, none of that dark and blurry webcam stuff.
    > And it must be possible to transfer them immediately (polling the
    > camera "drive" will suffice, if necessary.
    >
    > Ability to use flash in this mode and USB-powered operation would be
    > nice bonuses, but not critical.
    >
    > Does such a beast exist? in the prosumer or lower part of the market?
    > Price should preferably be as low as possible provided the requirements
    > are met, but please let me know of anything suitable.
    >
    > Hope someone can help.

    The Canon EOS 10D can do this via USB; PC/remote shutter release, PC
    setting exposure values, flash-capable, 6MP/low noise images.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous Guest

    Dave Herzstein <> skrev:
    > The Canon EOS 10D can do this via USB; PC/remote shutter release, PC
    > setting exposure values, flash-capable, 6MP/low noise images.

    Thanks. I'll think about it, but if anyone knows about a cheaper
    alternative please let me know.

    Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Joachim Lous

    adm Guest

    "Joachim Lous" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Herzstein <> skrev:
    > > The Canon EOS 10D can do this via USB; PC/remote shutter release, PC
    > > setting exposure values, flash-capable, 6MP/low noise images.

    > Thanks. I'll think about it, but if anyone knows about a cheaper
    > alternative please let me know.

    Nikon D70 - does the same. It's cheaper - but not a lot.

    adm, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Joachim Lous <> writes:

    > Dave Herzstein <> skrev:
    > > The Canon EOS 10D can do this via USB; PC/remote shutter release, PC
    > > setting exposure values, flash-capable, 6MP/low noise images.

    > Thanks. I'll think about it, but if anyone knows about a cheaper
    > alternative please let me know.

    Many of the Olympus prosumer cameras can do this (for example, the C-5060WZ can
    do it). You can get the software somewhere from Olympus, or use the shareware
    program from Pine Tree Computing: http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp.

    If you are using Linux, check out gphoto2 (http://www.gphoto.org), which is a
    general program to control cameras.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous Guest

    Michael Meissner <> skrev:
    > Joachim Lous <> writes:
    >
    >> Dave Herzstein <> skrev:
    >> > The Canon EOS 10D can do this via USB; PC/remote shutter release, PC
    >> > setting exposure values, flash-capable, 6MP/low noise images.

    >> Thanks. I'll think about it, but if anyone knows about a cheaper
    >> alternative please let me know.

    > Many of the Olympus prosumer cameras can do this

    Thanks for the help everyopne. Turns out many Canon cameras can do it
    too. If anyone else is interested: download the latest update to
    "Remote capture" (how was I supposed to think of that as a search
    phrase?) from Canon, and the README will tell you exacly which
    model supports which operations by cable.

    Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous Guest

    Michael Meissner <> skrev:
    > Joachim Lous <> writes:
    >
    >> Dave Herzstein <> skrev:
    >> > The Canon EOS 10D can do this via USB; PC/remote shutter release, PC
    >> > setting exposure values, flash-capable, 6MP/low noise images.

    >> Thanks. I'll think about it, but if anyone knows about a cheaper
    >> alternative please let me know.

    > Many of the Olympus prosumer cameras can do this

    Thanks for the help everyopne. Turns out many Canon cameras can do it
    too, including most of their consumer range. If anyone else is
    interested in details: download the latest update to "Remote capture"
    (how was I supposed to think of that as a search phrase?) from Canon,
    and the README will tell you exacly which model supports PC-control over
    what operations.

    Joachim Lous

    Joachim Lous, Aug 9, 2004