  1. Miles

    Miles Guest

    Where do I find the quality setting for jpg's in windows Xp?

    Miles, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Miles

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Quality setting for saved jpg files
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => Miles <= wrote:

    >Where do I find the quality setting for jpg's in windows Xp?

    You're going to have to more specific.

    --

    -Graham

    Remove the snails to email

    G. Morgan, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Miles wrote:
    > Where do I find the quality setting for jpg's in windows Xp?

    Not sure what you mean. If you use an image viewing/editing program you
    can get the information about a specific image. I don't know of one
    setting for all .jpg's in XP.

    Try Irfanview, open a .jpg, click on Image and then Information:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Miles wrote:

    >> Where do I find the quality setting for jpg's in windows Xp?

    > Not sure what you mean. If you use an image viewing/editing program
    > you can get the information about a specific image. I don't know of
    > one setting for all .jpg's in XP.

    > Try Irfanview, open a .jpg, click on Image and then Information:
    > http://www.irfanview.com/

    Will that give compression?

    If so, what does it tell you if you've further compressed (higher
    compression level) an already-compressed image?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Support the Usenet Improvement Project 2005 (UIP5)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Miles

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:10:30 -0700, "Miles" <> wrote:

    >Where do I find the quality setting for jpg's in windows Xp?

    You need 3rd party software to do that.
    In Paint Shop Pro, you select "File", "Save As", select ".jpg" and click the "Options" button.
    There, you can set the compression ratio to whatever you want. The default settings are
    "Standard Encoding" and a Compression Factor of 15.

    Unk, Apr 14, 2005
  6. Miles

    JANA Guest

    You should be more specific. It is usually in the program that is going to
    be used for creating the files. There are programs that can convert photo or
    picture type formats. Many of these will give you the option to compress the
    files at different qualities.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 14, 2005
  7. Miles

    PC Guest

    "Miles" <> wrote in message
    > Where do I find the quality setting for jpg's in windows Xp?

    Miles

    XP is an Operating System. Applications some of which can manage pictures
    and save them as jpg's run as an additional facility to the Operating
    System. Other applications are Word Processors, Spreadsheets; even a Game is
    an application that uses the facilities provided by the Operating System to
    produce an output.

    The 'Quality' setting you seek is inside such an application. It would be an
    image manipulation program like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro etc.,

    Not all applications will allow you to control the 'Quality' of jpg
    compression, for example the applet supplied with XP called 'Paint' can save
    pictures as a jpg type but it will not allow you to adjust the 'Quality'
    (Actually 'Quality' isn't quite correct, the more accurate term is
    'Compression')
    One application that does allow the 'Quality' to be changed is 'IrfanView' a
    free application available from www.irfanview.com (get the plugins as well)
    This program will allow you to change the 'Quality' when you save a picture
    to disk.

    Do note however that once you have saved a picture with high compression
    (Low quality?) you can not revert it to a higher 'Quality' (low compression)
    as the jpg process is lossy ie information is discarded from within the
    picture in order to get the size down. Once this information is discarded it
    is nigh on impossible to get it back.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Apr 14, 2005