Quality Science Fiction movies...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike Jackson, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Mike Jackson

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Event Horizon
    > Enemy Mine
    > The Empire Strikes Back
    > Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
    > Pitch Black

    If those are what you consider great sci-fi, I'd also recommend:

    The Fifth Element
    Stargate
    Demolition Man

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jul 7, 2004

  2. The Kontaminator wrote:
    > Can anybody please recommend some good Science fiction films-
    > primarily set in space, that I may enjoy.
    >
    > My own favourites, I can think of consist of the following:
    >
    > Event Horizon
    > Enemy Mine
    > The Empire Strikes Back
    > Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
    > Pitch Black

    The Thing (although it's sci-fi horror and set on Earth...)
    Dune
    Starship Troopers
    Total Recall
    Chasing Amy (just ask Kevin Smith)

    There are more sci-fi films that I'd recommend, but they're not what you
    specified.

    Leopold Stotch, Jul 7, 2004

  3. DVD groups are not appropriate for this post. But I'll suggest

    The Thing (not set in space but good)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (the best science fiction movie and also the best
    movie of any kind, ever)
    The Stalker (also not set in space)
    Akira (again, no space)
    Memories (actually three short films in one, the first one is set in space)
    Star Trek, especially II and VI.
    Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed from")
    Dark Star

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 7, 2004
  4. A few I like (some of these are bonafied classics, others depend on how
    eclectic you can be in something you like. All of these has good
    qualites despite some having some flaws)

    The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Forbidden Planet
    Colosis: The Forbin Project
    Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
    Soylent Green
    Planet Of The Apes
    Zardoz
    2001: A Space Oddysey
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Fifth Element
    Silent Running
    The Fantastic Voyage

    The Kontaminator, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Mike Jackson

    higgy Guest

    "The Kontaminator" wrote:

    > Can anybody please recommend some good Science fiction films-
    > primarily set in space, that I may enjoy.
    >
    > My own favourites, I can think of consist of the following:
    >
    > Event Horizon
    > Enemy Mine
    > The Empire Strikes Back
    > Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
    > Pitch Black
    >
    > Any tippage would be great.

    I'll second the recommendation for Silent Running, but other than that,
    I'm scratching my head and all I can think of is the TV series Firefly
    (which is excellent) and the new Battlestar Galactica mini (much better
    than I expected).

    I occurs to me that there just hasn't been enough good science fiction
    made in the past couple of decades... hopefully Pitch Black 2 will avoid
    being a shit Van Diesel vehicle and start a trend.

    Dave.

    higgy, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Mike Jackson

    Spack Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed from")

    Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon "borrowed
    from" a movie that was released 5 years later?

    Dan

    Spack, Jul 8, 2004
  8. In article <S7%Gc.191498$>,
    says...
    > DVD groups are not appropriate for this post. But I'll suggest
    >
    > Dark Star

    If you like that then try Galaxina, picked up the DVD for a quid at a car
    boot sale and wasn't disappointed. It's anamorphic to boot.

    Set-in-space sci-fi favourites:

    Red Planet
    Mission to Mars
    Supernova
    Galaxyquest
    The Black Hole
    The Last Starfighter

    Non-space sci-fi favourites:

    Dark City
    Lifeforce
    Blade Runner
    The Abyss

    --
    Rid

    Ridwan Hughes, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Mike Jackson

    Nimrod Guest

    Spack <> wrote in message
    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > > Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed

    from")

    > Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon

    "borrowed
    > from" a movie that was released 5 years later?
    >
    > Dan

    you know that Solaris with George Clooney was actually a remake of a film
    from the 70's also called Solaris?

    ---

    Nimrod, Jul 8, 2004
  10. Mike Jackson

    POD {Ò¿Ó} Guest

    Ridwan Hughes lifted their leg and sniffed their own bum in uk.media.dvd

    > Non-space sci-fi favourites:
    >
    > Dark City
    > Lifeforce
    > Blade Runner
    > The Abyss

    BR only 3rd on the list, wait til this gets back to the group ;-)

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    POD {Ò¿Ó}, Jul 8, 2004
  11. Mike Jackson

    Confessor Guest

    higgy <> wrote in

    > I'll second the recommendation for Silent Running, but other than that,
    > I'm scratching my head and all I can think of is the TV series Firefly
    > (which is excellent) and the new Battlestar Galactica mini (much better
    > than I expected).
    >
    > I occurs to me that there just hasn't been enough good science fiction
    > made in the past couple of decades... hopefully Pitch Black 2 will

    avoid
    > being a shit Van Diesel vehicle and start a trend.

    HOLD IT!

    If we're including television series, I'd have to insist that Babylon 5
    and Farscape be included.

    Babylon 5 because it took Star Trek, excised the most fantastical bits,
    and doused it in a riveting sense of reality.

    Farscape because it took Star Trek, excised the most realistic bits, and
    doused it in a riveting sense of fantasy.

    Though I've yet to watch beyond the first season of Farscape, I can
    already confirm that it is a cut above most of the Babylon 5-esque space
    operas that followed B5's cancellation.

    As for Babylon 5...

    Well, must leave this message now.

    Sorry :)

    Confessor, Jul 8, 2004
  12. Mike Jackson

    luminos Guest

    well the fourth isn't even in space.

    luminos, Jul 8, 2004
  13. Mike Jackson

    luminos Guest

    Now THIS is a list!!!

    luminos, Jul 8, 2004
  14. Mike Jackson

    luminos Guest

    I would add:

    Forbidden Planet
    When Worlds Collide

    I thought I was one of the few that knew Colossus: The Forbin Project
    (which has nothing to do with space at all).

    luminos, Jul 8, 2004
  15. Mike Jackson

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Spack wrote:

    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed from")

    > Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon "borrowed
    > from" a movie that was released 5 years later?
    >
    > Dan

    Solaris was released in 1972 and remade in 2002.
    HTH

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jul 8, 2004
  16. Spack wrote:
    >>Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed from")

    > Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon "borrowed
    > from" a movie that was released 5 years later?

    ROTFL!

    Explain it to 'im, folks.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 8, 2004
  17. Mike Jackson

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    The Kontaminator wrote:

    > Can anybody please recommend some good Science fiction films- primarily set
    > in space, that I may enjoy.
    >
    > My own favourites, I can think of consist of the following:
    >
    > Event Horizon
    > Enemy Mine
    > The Empire Strikes Back
    > Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
    > Pitch Black
    >
    > Any tippage would be great.
    >
    > Thanks

    This is going to be difficult. I hated Event Horizon but loved TESB and
    agree with you about Alien and Aliens, so I'm not sure about your
    tastes, BUT here's my entire collection of SF movies that take place in
    Space (via DVD Profiler), excluding Star Treks and Wars and Aliens.

    Outland (remake of High Noon in space)
    2001 (some of it takes place on Earth)
    2010
    Total Recall (but takes place on Mars)
    Spaceballs???
    Dune
    Final Fantasy
    Wing Commander (But I definitely do NOT recommend this one)

    If we consider movies that take place on Earth, here are my
    recommendations from my collection some of which are more comedy than SF

    Blade Runner
    Contact
    The Abyss
    Galaxy Quest
    Men In Black
    Terminator (and T2)
    Ghostbusters
    X-Men (both of them)
    Close Encounters ...
    Scanners
    Day the Earth Stood Still

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jul 8, 2004
  18. Mike Jackson

    d a v e Guest

    "Spack" <> wrote in message
    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > > Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed

    from")

    > Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon

    "borrowed
    > from" a movie that was released 5 years later?

    http://imdb.com/title/tt0069293/

    d a v e

    d a v e, Jul 8, 2004
  19. Mike Jackson

    Video Flyer Guest

    There've been a lot of great recommendations so far to which I'd just like
    to add 1) Gattaca and 2) 12 Monkeys (that counts, right?). I'll probably
    think of others later....

    Cheers!

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jul 8, 2004
  20. Video Flyer wrote:
    > There've been a lot of great recommendations so far to which I'd just like
    > to add 1) Gattaca and 2) 12 Monkeys (that counts, right?). I'll probably
    > think of others later....
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Neal

    Ah, 12 Monkeys, I knew I was forgetting something. I recommend this one
    too.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 8, 2004