    model just handles even crappy media well.

    Thanks,

    -Gaiko
    Gaikokujin Kyofusho, Sep 7, 2003

  2. Gaikokujin Kyofusho

    BoB Guest

    With the A06, it's not a question of crappy media, but Pioneer's intention to
    write firmware for their burners that's truly "open architecture".
    This "enlightened" approach allows the use of generic media, Sony and other
    manufacturers seem to be more closed, creating "propriatry" frimware,
    that's great if quality at any cost is the goal.

    BoB, Sep 7, 2003

  3. "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, quick question. I was wondering about the quality of writable
    > DVDs, i have seen alot of discussion about good brands bad brands etc
    > and i was curious does good/bad refer to the ability to write (without
    > ending up with a coaster) or to the readability of the DVD after it
    > has been (sucessfully) burned... or both?
    >
    > I ask because i have had quite a bit of luck with my new burner
    > (pioneeer a06) and don't know if it is just that (luck) or if this
    > model just handles even crappy media well.

    Its referring to the ability to read after write and when the supplier says
    won`t write to NEC 1300a they mean because the NEC firmware prevents writing
    to this disc becuase a) they`ve not been tested or b) they failed to read
    back correctly in the drive.

    Which crappy media are you using and can you read them back in your Pioneer
    and also other dvd roms / standalone players & ps2 / xbox etc
    Nick Le Lievre, Sep 7, 2003
  4. "BoB" <> wrote in message
    >With the A06, it's not a question of crappy media, but Pioneer's intention

    >write firmware for their burners that's truly "open architecture".
    >This "enlightened" approach allows the use of generic media, Sony and other
    >manufacturers seem to be more closed, creating "propriatry" frimware,
    >that's great if quality at any cost is the goal.

    Then when you like me flash the firmware of your drive (NEC 1300a) with a
    hacked version of the official firmware http://herrie.rpc1.org you then have
    a drive that also has a truly "open architecture" this "enlightened"
    approach allowed me to burn at 2x on some crappy B grade White Label Longten
    Tech dvd-r that the NEC & my standalone cannot read from but my notebook dvd
    rom simply loves.
    Nick Le Lievre, Sep 7, 2003