    TIA for your opinions,
    S.

    , Apr 13, 2007

  2. cgiorgio Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > Hello,
    > What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
    > likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
    > very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
    > crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
    > Acropolis.
    >
    > TIA for your opinions,
    > S.

    Depends on what model you choose and how lucky you are. Neither company
    seems to have quick and competent technical support in Europe so if
    something happens, you will be screwed anyway. Amateur cameras (including
    DSLR's) usually have low priority in repair centers.

    cgiorgio, Apr 13, 2007

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    cgiorgio wrote:
    > <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Hello,
    >> What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
    >> likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
    >> very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
    >> crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
    >> Acropolis.
    >>
    >> TIA for your opinions,
    >> S.

    > Depends on what model you choose and how lucky you are. Neither company
    > seems to have quick and competent technical support in Europe so if
    > something happens, you will be screwed anyway. Amateur cameras (including
    > DSLR's) usually have low priority in repair centers.

    People who own Sony will say Sony. Those who own Canon will say Canon,
    so take your choice.
    There are publications that keep track of problem reports for various
    products, you would have to search for that.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 13, 2007
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
    > likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
    > very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
    > crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
    > Acropolis.

    Take one of each.

    You are asking about the reliability of consumer electronics. Long-term
    reliability has never been a prime issue and never will be. Those little
    puddles of technology: silicon, glass, plastic are spewed out to make money
    for the manufacturers. The manufacturers profit when they fail, after the
    warranty runs out. There is a lot of evidence that they are designed to
    fail, by the way.

    Military and Medical specifications aside, consumer stuff is designed to
    work for at least 1 year.

    Charles Schuler, Apr 13, 2007
  5. Rob-L Guest

    I can't speak for Sony because I never owned a Sony digital camera, but
    all my other Sony products seem very reliable.

    I have a Canon S410 that I've used regularly for 3 years and it has never
    given me one bit of trouble. I have a Kodak that is 5 years old that is
    still operating great.

    Just take be careful and take care of your camera and you should be fine.

    Rob-L

    ----

    Rob-L, Apr 14, 2007
  6. mogator88 Guest

    On Apr 13, 11:07 am, wrote:
    > Hello,
    > What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
    > likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
    > very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
    > crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
    > Acropolis.
    >
    > TIA for your opinions,
    > S.

    I think any of the major brands will be fine. I've had or seen issues
    with both Sony and Canon, but that's just random (bad) luck. Buying a
    certain brand guarantees nothing. Don't buy it at the last minute,
    use it a little and get some prints made so you'll know if there are
    any immediate problems. Think of the batteries. AA's are easy to get
    and the new lithiums last a really long time. Rechargeables might be
    a hassle and you'll definitely need a voltage adapter.

    Enjoy your trip!

    mogator88, Apr 14, 2007
  7. SteveB Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
    > likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
    > very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
    > crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
    > Acropolis.
    >
    > TIA for your opinions,
    > S.

    A friend used to service mainly Sony digicams but other makes as well plus
    TVs etc, I asked him recently what used to go wrong with digital cameras
    mainly and the answer was 'the owner'. Cameras dropped, contaminated with
    sand, pepsi; these account for the vast majority of failures. Overall, all
    types of domestic electronics considered, he rated Samsung the best built
    low end stuff but that may have been because they were the easiest and most
    logical to work on, that's the way engineers think.

    SteveB, Apr 14, 2007
  8. Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:07:06 GMT, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
    >likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
    >very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
    >crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
    >Acropolis.
    >
    >TIA for your opinions,
    >S.

    That can't be answered; while there may be a statistical difference
    in the general reliability between the two brands (which is what you
    are asking about), this can't be taken down to actual samples, meaning
    *one* example or another.
    The camera you buy may be much more or less reliable than the group
    consisting of all examples of that model. IOW, the one you buy may
    crap out at the worst possible moment, or it may work very well for
    over ten years; there's no way to tell.
    Sorry.

    The White House admitted on Wednesday that
    e-mails about official business in Karl Rove's
    office were erased. The deleted e-mails were
    sent on Republican Party accounts instead of
    White House accounts to avoid a law that
    requires preservation of government records.
    It doesn't clog up the landfills like Hillary's
    shredder did for eight years.

    Bill Funk, Apr 14, 2007