    "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    GraB, Jun 16, 2005

  2. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:19:44 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    >defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    >splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    >change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    >quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    >"Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    >either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    >NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    To many Cheap Chinese DVD Players..

    Tony, Jun 16, 2005

  3. GraB wrote:
    > Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    > defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    > splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    > change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    > quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    > "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    > either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    > NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    Most DVDs sold here are made in Australia. We have very few region 4
    titles, but all play flawlessly, including those purchased back in 1998.

    'DVD rot' is a possibility for dual layer disks, and could be the result
    of poor storage conditions. I would take a look at where you are getting
    the disks from, and also check with other players (Good ones like
    Pioneer)... not all are created equal.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 16, 2005
  4. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:19:44 +1200, GraB <> says...
    > Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    > defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    > splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    > change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    > quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    > "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    > either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    > NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    Are you using a Mustek or rebranded player?

    Rob J, Jun 16, 2005
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:32:38 +1200, The Other Guy
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    >> defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    >> splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    >> change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    >> quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    >> "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    >> either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    >> NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    >Most DVDs sold here are made in Australia. We have very few region 4
    >titles, but all play flawlessly, including those purchased back in 1998.
    >
    >'DVD rot' is a possibility for dual layer disks, and could be the result
    >of poor storage conditions. I would take a look at where you are getting
    >the disks from, and also check with other players (Good ones like
    >Pioneer)... not all are created equal.

    Whitcoulls has replaced one defective DVD, the replacement plays
    without trouble. Unlike Whitcoulls, Harvey Norman insisted on a
    receipt, even though the box is covered with their stickers, so I
    will have to go back.

    Players include Black Diamond and Samsung standalone, and my LiteOn
    832S PC drive and one other unknown player (friend's).

    There is a DVD plant in Auckland - how many of the NZ market DVDs are
    they making?

    Discs have come from Whitcoulls, Warehouse, Harvey Norman, etc. If a
    DVD faults on four different players you can't blame the player. I
    would still call them defective if they won't play flawlessly on
    either my Samsung DVD-V540 or my LiteOn drive. I have over 60 DVDs
    which play flawlessly. It is a few that I have bought recently that
    seem to be defective. Hire DVDs with multitudes of scratches play
    better than those.

    There is an interesting article about defective DVDs from the Sydney
    Morning Herald. http://tinyurl.com/dlec8

    It is clear that there are many DVDs that have production errors in
    them, going by the various forums, ranging from missing bits, pauses
    and freezes, some won't play on certain brand players, even Toshiba
    and Pioneer. Some batches have been faulty but there are also some
    faulty ones from good batches.

    In regard to players, it is apparent that different players have
    different error correction algorithms, so, as I find, a disc that
    faults on one might play on the another, but another disc that faults
    on the other player will play OK on the first. It seems that it might
    be a good idea to have more than one player and connect through a
    source selecter box.

    GraB, Jun 16, 2005
  6. GraB

    Richard Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    > defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    > splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    > change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    > quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    > "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    > either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    > NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    Because we get shit pressed in Aussie, just like NZ bought audio CDs.

    Its not the players, I have had better sucess with asian bootlegs then some of
    the region 4 trash that we get served up - the asian bootlegs are often dual
    layer and DTS as well these days. Once you get past the amusing errors on the
    cover they are great value.

    Richard, Jun 16, 2005
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 04:24:40 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    >> defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    >> splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    >> change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    >> quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    >> "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    >> either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    >> NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    >Because we get shit pressed in Aussie, just like NZ bought audio CDs.
    >
    >Its not the players, I have had better sucess with asian bootlegs then some of
    >the region 4 trash that we get served up - the asian bootlegs are often dual
    >layer and DTS as well these days. Once you get past the amusing errors on the
    >cover they are great value.

    There is a movie that sells for $10, with Michael Caine, called
    "Shadow Run" not a bad movie. On the spine it is "Shadaow Run",
    misspelling 'shadow'. That is for sale everywhere.

    GraB, Jun 16, 2005
  8. GraB

    ardz Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 04:24:40 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > >GraB wrote:
    > >> Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    > >> defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    > >> splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    > >> change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    > >> quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    > >> "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    > >> either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    > >> NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    > >Because we get shit pressed in Aussie, just like NZ bought audio CDs.
    > >
    > >Its not the players, I have had better sucess with asian bootlegs then

    some of
    > >the region 4 trash that we get served up - the asian bootlegs are often

    dual
    > >layer and DTS as well these days. Once you get past the amusing errors on

    the
    > >cover they are great value.

    > There is a movie that sells for $10, with Michael Caine, called
    > "Shadow Run" not a bad movie. On the spine it is "Shadaow Run",
    > misspelling 'shadow'. That is for sale everywhere.

    I havent had much problems with region 4 movies and i purchase heaps on my
    trips to Oz from JB Hifi....now they have awesomely huge selections of DVDs
    and at awesome prices. I have older Pioneers(hey if it aint broke....)a 717
    and a 414. Actually my brother uses a Mizuda "foodtown" machine and it plays
    movies better than my Pioneers.

    ardz, Jun 16, 2005
  9. GraB

    Mutlley Guest

    GraB <> wrote:

    >Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    >defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    >splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    >change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    >quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    >"Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    >either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    >NZ are being made here?

    Most likely non. Most come from Oz

    Mutlley, Jun 16, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    >defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    >splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    >change - I never notice those).

    Have you tried cleaning them?

    I've only bought a few stamped DVDs--latest was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
    Dragon"--highly recommended! And I haven't noticed any quality problems
    so far.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2005
  11. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:52:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    >>defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    >>splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    >>change - I never notice those).

    >Have you tried cleaning them?
    >
    >I've only bought a few stamped DVDs--latest was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
    >Dragon"--highly recommended! And I haven't noticed any quality problems
    >so far.

    No, they were pristine. Replacement disc plays fine, so original was
    defective.

    GraB, Jun 17, 2005
  12. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 04:24:40 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Me and a friend have found a number of DVDs bought recently have been
    >> defective. I had two this last week. Both looked clean but stall and
    >> splutter at a certain point before eventually continuing (not layer
    >> change - I never notice those). One was "The Fugitive", great video
    >> quality, pity about the hickups in playback. My friend bought
    >> "Kartoum" and couldn't get past chapter 18. Wouldn't on my players
    >> either, though there was no visible fault. How many DVDs for sale in
    >> NZ are being made here? Wondering why there are so many duds.

    >Because we get shit pressed in Aussie, just like NZ bought audio CDs.
    >
    >Its not the players, I have had better sucess with asian bootlegs then some of
    >the region 4 trash that we get served up - the asian bootlegs are often dual
    >layer and DTS as well these days. Once you get past the amusing errors on the
    >cover they are great value.

    Got replacement The Fugitive DVD but it played up in the same place,
    from ch22-25. Ran Nero CD-DVD Speed Scandisk on it, file and surface
    check. Got 1.32% unreadable, 1 error reading vob4.

    GraB, Jun 18, 2005