Quality of computers at Walmart??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave Boland, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. Dave Boland

    Dave Boland Guest

    We plan to purchase a computer form my parents, and they
    shop at Walmart and like it (no comments, please!). I know
    Walmart sells computers, but I have no experience with these
    brands or Walmart service and support. So I would like your
    help to see if this is wise, or get one from another company.

    I know that the family doesn't want a Mac (I disagree, but
    there reasoning is that they have Windows and could offer
    more assistance).

    What I'm looking for in a computer is:

    1. Easy setup
    2. Good performance for a given CPU and amount of memory
    3. Low noise
    4. High reliability and longevity
    5. Good support. I can accept someone in India, but only if
    they are very knowlegible and there English is very good.

    The brands carried are:
    Acer
    Compaq
    eMachines
    Everex
    HP
    IC Power
    Microtel
    NASCAR // Parents not NASCAR fans, so...
    Salton
    SHUTTLE COMPUTERS

    Some of these brands may be better than others, so any
    advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    Dave Boland, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Dave Boland

    Uplink Guest

    Wal-Mart can sell items so cheaply because, first they buy it at
    discount prices in bulk. And, what they buy are often outdated and no
    longer supported by the manufactorer. So the oem just wants to get rid
    of those old version of computers getting dusky at the back of the
    warehouse. My Dell Inspiron 1150 was $850 CAD because it was going out
    of date.

    You probably won't have a manufactorer's warranty on the computer you
    buy, Wal-mart warranty won't replace that motherboard that you
    'overheated' by leaving it in the sun.

    But, if you plan to use it for email and internet only, I guess
    Wal-mart is okay for that. (Otherwise, I would get a Dell)

    Uplink, Jul 6, 2006

  3. Dave Boland

    Rob Guest

    "Dave Boland" <> wrote in message
    > We plan to purchase a computer form my parents, and they shop at Walmart
    > and like it (no comments, please!). I know Walmart sells computers, but I
    > have no experience with these brands or Walmart service and support. So I
    > would like your help to see if this is wise, or get one from another
    > company.
    >
    > I know that the family doesn't want a Mac (I disagree, but there reasoning
    > is that they have Windows and could offer more assistance).
    >
    > What I'm looking for in a computer is:
    >
    > 1. Easy setup
    > 2. Good performance for a given CPU and amount of memory
    > 3. Low noise
    > 4. High reliability and longevity
    > 5. Good support. I can accept someone in India, but only if they are very
    > knowlegible and there English is very good.
    >
    > The brands carried are:
    > Acer
    > Compaq
    > eMachines
    > Everex
    > HP
    > IC Power
    > Microtel
    > NASCAR // Parents not NASCAR fans, so...
    > Salton
    > SHUTTLE COMPUTERS
    >
    > Some of these brands may be better than others, so any advice would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    A lot of these brands offer good home computers. They will still be under
    warranty. Wal-Mart probably has no service, you will have to either exchange
    it or send it in for warranty repair. I would stay away from Dell for
    inexpensive home computers, they are not any better than the brands you
    mention but they are more expensive.

    Rob

    Rob, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Dave Boland

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    > Wal-Mart can sell items so cheaply because, first they buy it at
    > discount prices in bulk. And, what they buy are often outdated and no
    > longer supported by the manufactorer. So the oem just wants to get rid
    > of those old version of computers getting dusky at the back of the
    > warehouse. My Dell Inspiron 1150 was $850 CAD because it was going out
    > of date.

    Take your pick:-

    CAD Computer-Aided Design
    CAD C'est A Dire (French: That Is to Say)
    CAD Cable Air Dryer
    CAD Cabling Diagram
    CAD Cadaveric Donor
    CAD Cadillac
    CAD California Academic Decathlon
    CAD California Association of the Deaf
    CAD Call Acceptance Delay (ITU-T)
    CAD Call Denial
    CAD Calling Area Database
    CAD Canadian Association of the Deaf
    CAD Canadian Dollar
    CAD Capability Analysis Document (US DoD)
    CAD Capital Adequacy Directive
    CAD Carol Ann Duffy (British poet)
    CAD Cartridge Actuated Device(s)
    CAD Cartridge Actuating Device
    CAD Cash Against Delivery
    CAD Cash Against Documents
    CAD Cash Available for Distribution
    CAD Catholic Anti-Discrimination (Northern Ireland)
    CAD Central Accounting Division
    CAD Chicago Assyrian Dictionary
    CAD Coherent Amplitude Detector
    CAD collective address designator (US DoD)
    CAD Collective Address Directory
    CAD Collider-Accelerator Department
    CAD Collisionally Activated Dissociation (mass spectrometry)
    CAD Colorado Association of the Deaf
    CAD Combined Approach Document
    CAD Combined Arms Division
    CAD Commercial Affairs Department (Singapore)
    CAD Comparison Attitude Data
    CAD Complaint Adjudication Division
    CAD Complex Application Domain
    CAD Component Advanced Development
    CAD Computer-Aided Detection
    CAD Computer-Aided Diagnosis (medical)
    CAD Computer-Aided Dispatch
    CAD Computer-Aided Drafting
    CAD Computer-Aided Drawing
    CAD Computer-Assisted Design
    CAD Computer-Assisted Device
    CAD Computer-Assisted Drafting
    CAD Computer-Automated Design
    CAD Concept Advanced Development
    CAD Condemned At Depot
    CAD Congenital Abduction Deficiency
    CAD Connecticut Association of the Deaf
    CAD Consumer Advocate Division
    CAD Contact Allergic Dermatitis
    CAD Containment Atmosphere Dilution
    CAD Contract Appeals Division
    CAD Contract Award Date
    CAD Control and Debug
    CAD Control And Display
    CAD Coronary Artery Disease
    CAD Coronary Atherothrombotic Disease
    CAD Corporate Account Delinquency
    CAD Corrective Action Design
    CAD Cost Analysis Division
    CAD Course Administrative Data
    CAD Crank Angle Degree
    CAD Ctrl Alt Del
    CAD Ctrl Alt Del (gaming webcomic)
    CAD Current Account Deficit
    CAD Custom Application Development
    CAD Customer Avalized Draft

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Dave Boland

    Brian Guest

    I know of only one person that has bought a Wal-MArt computer (HP) and so
    far it seems to be working fine after over a year. They had asked me to
    build a system for internet, e-mail, checking,and a few specific programs
    only. I saw the one in Wal-Mart and I could not build one cheaper than that
    for what they were offering so I recommended that system and it has been
    working well ever since. I had no problem addding memory or a printer(USB),
    and even legacy support for an older printer (LPT) was no problem. These are
    not outdated systems and they do have manufacturer as well as Walmart
    warranty support for replacement and repair. This system was for an older
    couple with no computer experience.

    Brian, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Dave Boland

    LB Guest

    I bought a H/P for my grand children because of the price and it had all
    they wanted. I prefer to build my own, but for everyday use it has been
    fine.

    LB, Jul 8, 2006
  7. Dave Boland

    Alex Clayton Guest

    > We plan to purchase a computer form my parents, and they shop at Walmart
    > and like it (no comments, please!). I know Walmart sells computers, but I
    > have no experience with these brands or Walmart service and support. So I
    > would like your help to see if this is wise, or get one from another
    > company.
    >
    > I know that the family doesn't want a Mac (I disagree, but there reasoning
    > is that they have Windows and could offer more assistance).
    >
    > What I'm looking for in a computer is:
    >
    > 1. Easy setup
    > 2. Good performance for a given CPU and amount of memory
    > 3. Low noise
    > 4. High reliability and longevity
    > 5. Good support. I can accept someone in India, but only if they are very
    > knowlegible and there English is very good.
    >
    > The brands carried are:
    > Acer
    > Compaq
    > eMachines
    > Everex
    > HP
    > IC Power
    > Microtel
    > NASCAR // Parents not NASCAR fans, so...
    > Salton
    > SHUTTLE COMPUTERS
    >
    > Some of these brands may be better than others, so any advice would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    One of the name brand ones is the same whether you buy from Wally or some
    other store. I bought a lap top from them on line a couple years ago, a
    "Balance". When I bought a new one I gave that one to one of the kids, they
    are still using it, works great.
    You get the same warranty from Wally you get anywhere, no matter what some
    one tells you. If they have what you want, and it's a good price, buy it.
    Any machine running XP is pretty much idiot proof. I have taught a couple
    people how to use a PC that were my age and had never touched one. With one
    of those Dummies books, they just took off. The system is so stable now it's
    pretty hard to screw one up.
    Moderation is for monks."
    [Lazarus Long]

    Alex Clayton, Jul 9, 2006
  8. Dave Boland

    Dr. Money Guest

    Dave Boland wrote:
    > We plan to purchase a computer form my parents, and they shop at Walmart
    > and like it (no comments, please!). I know Walmart sells computers, but
    > I have no experience with these brands or Walmart service and support.
    > So I would like your help to see if this is wise, or get one from
    > another company.
    >
    > I know that the family doesn't want a Mac (I disagree, but there
    > reasoning is that they have Windows and could offer more assistance).
    >
    > What I'm looking for in a computer is:
    >
    > 1. Easy setup
    > 2. Good performance for a given CPU and amount of memory
    > 3. Low noise
    > 4. High reliability and longevity
    > 5. Good support. I can accept someone in India, but only if they are
    > very knowlegible and there English is very good.
    >
    > The brands carried are:
    > Acer
    > Compaq
    > eMachines
    > Everex
    > HP
    > IC Power
    > Microtel
    > NASCAR // Parents not NASCAR fans, so...
    > Salton
    > SHUTTLE COMPUTERS
    >
    > Some of these brands may be better than others, so any advice would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    it does not matter the store, it matters the brand

    -Dr. Money

    Dr. Money, Jul 22, 2006
  9. Dave Boland

    Adam F Guest

    "Dr. Money" <> wrote in message
    > it does not matter the store, it matters the brand
    >
    > -Dr. Money

    Truely spoken, best part about walmart is you can take it back to the store
    if somthing happens instead of having to wait to ship it back to dell or hp
    or whoever.
    only downside is you cant get a customized pc

    Adam F, Sep 19, 2006