    replacement one right away?

    --
    Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)
    Nushar, Aug 17, 2007

  2. Nushar

    Jonathan Guest

    Nushar wrote:
    > I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    > packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    > rather trust you guys).
    >
    > I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    > buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >
    > What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    > want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    > replacement one right away?

    That depends on the camera. I still have the same battery that came with my
    Nikon DSLR. Which camera do you want?
    Jonathan, Aug 17, 2007

  3. Nushar

    Nushar Guest

    Jonathan <> wrote:

    : That depends on the camera. I still have the same battery that came
    : with my Nikon DSLR. Which camera do you want?

    Most likely Lumix LX2, although I'll wait to see FZ18 and then decide
    if the latter really is too big. My question about quality of bundled
    battery was generic, if there is a rule of thumb, like there is with
    memory cards.

    --
    Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)
    Nushar, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Nushar

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Nushar wrote:
    > I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    > packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    > rather trust you guys).
    >
    > I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    > buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >
    > What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    > want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    > replacement one right away?

    Lithium-ion batteries that come with the camera are full power
    batteries, although higher ratings may be available at a premium. Very
    small flash cards are usually supplied with the camera, however. Many
    cameras come with AA alkaline batteries which on some cameras will only
    give a very limited number of pictures.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Nushar

    Jonathan Guest

    Nushar wrote:
    > Jonathan <> wrote:
    >
    >> That depends on the camera. I still have the same battery that came
    >> with my Nikon DSLR. Which camera do you want?

    > Most likely Lumix LX2, although I'll wait to see FZ18 and then decide
    > if the latter really is too big. My question about quality of bundled
    > battery was generic, if there is a rule of thumb, like there is with
    > memory cards.

    I know what you mean as I have many cameras, about a dozen or so and most
    come with the smallest memory card available and the cheaper items have
    unknown batteries. The high enders don't include memory cards and have
    custom batteries. My Sony camcorders for example have smaller ones so I buy
    the bigger one to use for longer usage. If you use rechargeable AA batteries
    you might want to buy the highest rated 2700 as opposed to the 1800 mAh and
    so on. Some cameras don't come with power supplies so it might be a good
    idea to buy a nice one for use when downloading photos or use while
    connected to a PC.

    Jon.
    Jonathan, Aug 17, 2007
  6. "Nushar" <> wrote in message
    >I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    > packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    > rather trust you guys).
    >
    > I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    > buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >
    > What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    > want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    > replacement one right away?

    Generally speaking, the Li-Ion battery that comes with the camera is the
    best quality you can get for that camera. If you buy a second battery of the
    camera manufacturer's brand it will be the same thing, and that is in most
    cases the only type the manufacturer recommends using.

    Replacement batteries *not* of the manufacturer's brand are usually much
    cheaper. Whether they are as good as the manufacturer's brand is the subject
    of some debate.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Nushar

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:
    > "Nushar" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    >> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    >> rather trust you guys).
    >>
    >> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    >> buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >>
    >> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    >> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    >> replacement one right away?

    > Generally speaking, the Li-Ion battery that comes with the camera is the
    > best quality you can get for that camera. If you buy a second battery of the
    > camera manufacturer's brand it will be the same thing, and that is in most
    > cases the only type the manufacturer recommends using.
    >
    > Replacement batteries *not* of the manufacturer's brand are usually much
    > cheaper. Whether they are as good as the manufacturer's brand is the subject
    > of some debate.
    >
    > Neil

    I think we are only talking about Li-Ion rechargeable types here.
    Alkaline are a throw away item (or nearly so).
    Since manufacturers would want you to re-purchase their brand, it would
    be counter productive to both that goal and their reputation to supply
    an inferior item of any type.
    The only reason I can think of for those tiny flash cards and alkalines
    where applicable is so that the purchaser can take some test shots
    immediately and in the case of the flash card to prove the camera is ok
    in the event a third party card exhibited a problem.
    I notice on some more recent offerings, the flash card is not included
    (Pentax 100D comes to mind.)
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Aug 17, 2007
  8. Nushar

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:08:49 +0000, Nushar wrote:

    > I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    > packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    > rather trust you guys).
    >
    > I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    > buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >
    > What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    > want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    > replacement one right away?

    I've purchased a back-up li-ion battery for my camera, but I've never yet
    had to use it.
    ray, Aug 17, 2007
  9. "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    >> "Nushar" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    >>> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    >>> rather trust you guys).
    >>>
    >>> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    >>> buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >>>
    >>> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    >>> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    >>> replacement one right away?

    >> Generally speaking, the Li-Ion battery that comes with the camera is the
    >> best quality you can get for that camera. If you buy a second battery of
    >> the camera manufacturer's brand it will be the same thing, and that is in
    >> most cases the only type the manufacturer recommends using.
    >>
    >> Replacement batteries *not* of the manufacturer's brand are usually much
    >> cheaper. Whether they are as good as the manufacturer's brand is the
    >> subject of some debate.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >>

    > I think we are only talking about Li-Ion rechargeable types here.

    Of course. That's what the OP is asking about.

    > Alkaline are a throw away item (or nearly so).
    > Since manufacturers would want you to re-purchase their brand, it would be
    > counter productive to both that goal and their reputation to supply an
    > inferior item of any type.
    > The only reason I can think of for those tiny flash cards and alkalines
    > where applicable is so that the purchaser can take some test shots
    > immediately and in the case of the flash card to prove the camera is ok in
    > the event a third party card exhibited a problem.
    > I notice on some more recent offerings, the flash card is not included
    > (Pentax 100D comes to mind.)
    > Dave Cohen

    Nikon does not include memory cards with any of their cameras and hasn't
    since I've been buying Nikons. In the case of the Coolpix compact models,
    the camera itself has enough internal memory to hold several shots, which is
    all the user needs to try it out. I assume Nikon just feels that memory
    cards are so ubiquitous now, there's no more reason to include them with the
    camera than there was to include film with 35s. It's just something the
    buyer is expected to provide to suit his own needs.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Aug 17, 2007
  10. Nushar

    TrevM Guest

    "Nushar" <> wrote in message
    >I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    > packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    > rather trust you guys).
    >
    > I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    > buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >
    > What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    > want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    > replacement one right away?

    I always aim to carry a spare charged battery, otherwise Murphy's Law will
    ensure you will run out of charge just before your best shots of the day
    come along...

    As to quality of bundled versus unbranded batteries, I have mixed
    experiences. A Li-ion battery supplied from new with a Sony DV cam a few
    years back was supposed to last 90 mins on a full charge, but never managed
    more than about 30. A very cheap unbranded replacement had 3 times the
    nominal capacity, and really does last at least 4 hours running time. I
    also had a good result buying a cheap Brand X spare for a Nikon 5000 I used
    to have.

    On the other hand, I recently bought a spare cheapo battery on ebay for a
    Canon G2 which lasts only about half as long as the Canon branded BP511
    battery that came with the camera (bought secondhand). Still, it does as a
    spare to carry, and only cost about a tenth of the price of the branded one.

    TrevM
    TrevM, Aug 17, 2007
  11. Nushar

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    >> "Nushar" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a very basic newbie question about how digital cameras are
    >>> packaged and sold (could ask the salesman if I trusted them but I'd
    >>> rather trust you guys).
    >>>
    >>> I know that bundled memory cards are very small and one is better of
    >>> buying a replacement as an accessory.
    >>>
    >>> What about the Li-ion battery that would/might(?) come with camera I
    >>> want? Is the bundled battery "full quality" or should one buy a
    >>> replacement one right away?

    >> Generally speaking, the Li-Ion battery that comes with the camera is
    >> the best quality you can get for that camera. If you buy a second
    >> battery of the camera manufacturer's brand it will be the same thing,
    >> and that is in most cases the only type the manufacturer recommends
    >> using.
    >>
    >> Replacement batteries *not* of the manufacturer's brand are usually
    >> much cheaper. Whether they are as good as the manufacturer's brand is
    >> the subject of some debate.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >>

    > I think we are only talking about Li-Ion rechargeable types here.
    > Alkaline are a throw away item (or nearly so).
    > Since manufacturers would want you to re-purchase their brand, it would
    > be counter productive to both that goal and their reputation to supply
    > an inferior item of any type.

    Well, logical or not, they DO that. Just as printer manufacturers now
    pack tiny capacity cartridges with their printers so you need to either
    buy a set of cartridges when you buy the the printer, or in a few days.
    I think this is counterproductive, from a customer perception point of
    view, but there is so much competition on printers, and pricing, that
    they are doing everything they can to make a buck.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 18, 2007