    I was reading about one in a mag. on Black and White photography.
    I was wondering how it would compare to a print from a printer?
    -Rich

    Rich, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Rich

    Stacey Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > Has anyone seen the output of a "digital enlarger?"
    > I was reading about one in a mag. on Black and White photography.
    > I was wondering how it would compare to a print from a printer?

    My experience has been RA-4 B&W prints from a lab look much better than from
    inkjets using a regular color inkjet printer. I read where Kodak made a
    regular B&W paper for digital lightjet type printers that was developed in
    regular B&W chemistry (silver print), not sure if they still do? I'd image
    that would produce a nice print.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Rich

    Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Has anyone seen the output of a "digital enlarger?"
    > I was reading about one in a mag. on Black and White photography.
    > I was wondering how it would compare to a print from a printer?

    Don't know about the "digital enlarger" but this may be of interest to
    you:

    http://www.inksupply.com/bwpage.cfm

    I too was looking to do B&W from digital. I tried photoprocessing
    using the local Fuji Pioneer printer and gave up on that immediately.
    I went looking for a Kodak lab after hearing they had developed B&W
    papers to be used in the digital photoprocessing type printers, but was
    then sidetracked when I found the MIS ink people.

    There is a photographer named Paul Roark who is doing a lot of research
    into digital B&W prints:

    http://home1.gte.net/res0a2zt/photos.html

    They are using archival grade carbon based pigment inks in inexpensive
    Epson inkjets and are working on ink and paper combinations to run a
    large gamut of B&W tones. I've ordered a couple of inksets and am
    looking forward to playing with them on an inexpensive Epson R220.

    , Mar 11, 2006
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On 11 Mar 2006 07:16:55 -0800, wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >> Has anyone seen the output of a "digital enlarger?"
    >> I was reading about one in a mag. on Black and White photography.
    >> I was wondering how it would compare to a print from a printer?

    >Don't know about the "digital enlarger" but this may be of interest to
    >you:
    >
    >http://www.inksupply.com/bwpage.cfm
    >
    >I too was looking to do B&W from digital. I tried photoprocessing
    >using the local Fuji Pioneer printer and gave up on that immediately.
    >I went looking for a Kodak lab after hearing they had developed B&W
    >papers to be used in the digital photoprocessing type printers, but was
    >then sidetracked when I found the MIS ink people.
    >
    >There is a photographer named Paul Roark who is doing a lot of research
    >into digital B&W prints:
    >
    >http://home1.gte.net/res0a2zt/photos.html
    >
    >They are using archival grade carbon based pigment inks in inexpensive
    >Epson inkjets and are working on ink and paper combinations to run a
    >large gamut of B&W tones. I've ordered a couple of inksets and am
    >looking forward to playing with them on an inexpensive Epson R220.

    So you can put various "shades" of black into the colour "slots" of
    the Epson and they work? It should be an interesting experiment.
    I guess they must mix white inks with blacks to get the gradations.

    I've seen a digital black and white enlarger that uses a cathode ray
    tube as the imaging source and the claim is that it supports
    resolutions up to 60 megapixels. There was an article about it in one
    of the latest B&W magazines. I don't know the price, but I'm sure it
    must cost a fortune. The reason I've asked in the first place is that
    IMO, current black and white imaging on inkjet papers looks
    nothing like prints done on photopaper using (for e.g.) Tech Pan
    negatives. A search of the web turns up a few digital enlargers, from
    inexpensive add-ons for pre-existing enlargers to professional units
    from Ilford.

    Rich, Mar 11, 2006
  5. Rich

    bob Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Has anyone seen the output of a "digital enlarger?"
    > I was reading about one in a mag. on Black and White photography.
    > I was wondering how it would compare to a print from a printer?
    > -Rich

    You mean like the Fuji Frontier?

    I scanned some old family photos of my wife's and had them printed. They
    looked great. Much nicer than the sample output I've seen from the quad
    grey ink system.

    Smooth tones with good transitions. In most cases the prints we got back
    looked a lot better than the ones we started with, because the originals
    were yellowing. Some of them had also been printed too light or too dark
    as well.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 13, 2006