Quality of ATA vs IP phone vs Softphone

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. NewsAcc

    NewsAcc Guest

    I currently use Sipgate with a softphone (SJPhone - which seems to be MUCH
    better than x-lite) and a standard £20 headset. The quality seems to be
    pretty good. After using the service for a while (but not so keen on the
    reliability - see below post !) I quite fancy the idea of going one step
    further and moving away from the PC headset.

    Whats the quality of an ATA or IP phone (ie Budgetone 102) compared to a PC
    headset (which I assume to be the best quality) ?

    I assume that the ATA and DECT phone setup will be noticably worse than the
    PC headset ?

    The great thing about a seperate IP phone is that I dont 'disturb' the
    missus when she is on the BT landline ! and we get another phone. With the
    ATA, we are then limited to one phone (which is great if the ATA has a
    passthrough, but again I could potentially miss an important business call
    while the missus is chatting on the BT landline). Perhaps the ATA with PSTN
    passthough is a perfect choice for making free/cheap calls from one single
    phone.

    The ultimate setup would be a Wifi Phone, but I cant find any on the net.
    Are there any tried/tested ones available in the UK that are known to work
    with Sipgate ?

    Thanks

    NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005

  2. NewsAcc

    NewsAcc Guest

    Just to add to my post, I also have an Ipaq (and bluetooth) with SJphone
    Although the range isnt great I could potentially get a wireless card for
    this and use this instead (cheapest option !). However, the standard
    earpiece/mic is rubbish. Would a good headset + wireless SD card be a cheap
    alternative ? I could even take this round to friends houses and roam to
    their wireless networks and still get calls (mega bonus !). Just thinking
    out loud really.

    Ta.

    NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005

  3. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:30:20 GMT, "NewsAcc" <>
    wrote:

    >I assume that the ATA and DECT phone setup will be noticably worse than the
    >PC headset ?

    why ?

    BTBBV into DECT sounded just like a BT line to my ears and nobody on
    the other end ever commented.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !

    Phil Thompson, Jun 24, 2005
  4. NewsAcc

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Comments below...

    > Whats the quality of an ATA or IP phone (ie Budgetone 102) compared to a

    PC
    > headset (which I assume to be the best quality) ?

    ATA plus phone or IP phone is normally better than the PC.

    > I assume that the ATA and DECT phone setup will be noticably worse than

    the
    > PC headset ?
    >

    > The great thing about a seperate IP phone is that I dont 'disturb' the
    > missus when she is on the BT landline ! and we get another phone. With

    the
    > ATA, we are then limited to one phone (which is great if the ATA has a
    > passthrough, but again I could potentially miss an important business call
    > while the missus is chatting on the BT landline). Perhaps the ATA with

    PSTN
    > passthough is a perfect choice for making free/cheap calls from one single
    > phone.

    Not sure about what you want here. A Cisco ATA (pricey) supports 2 VOIP
    phones. Most support only a single VOIP phone (but see below). And surely,
    if the missus is on the landline, you can't take a second landline call -
    period. But you can take an IP call via the ATA.

    You may be thinking of some of the "auto-switch between PSTN & VOIP" boxes
    that are around. I've not had any experience of these - some other posters
    may be able to help.

    > The ultimate setup would be a Wifi Phone, but I cant find any on the net.
    > Are there any tried/tested ones available in the UK that are known to work
    > with Sipgate ?

    Usual thing to do is connect a DECT phone to an ATA. Almost wireless phone!

    Paul D.Smith, Jun 24, 2005
  5. NewsAcc

    NewsAcc Guest

    > why ?

    Any DECT phone I ever tried always seemed to be worse quality than a normal
    landline. Put that on top of the standard VOIP call conversion and then I
    assume it would be worse.

    NewsAcc, Jun 24, 2005
  6. NewsAcc

    Mike Gayler Guest

    "NewsAcc" <> writed in

    >> why ?
    >>

    > Any DECT phone I ever tried always seemed to be worse quality than a
    > normal landline. Put that on top of the standard VOIP call conversion
    > and then I assume it would be worse.

    My DECT set-up (Sipgate > Grandstream ATA486 > Binatone DECT) is
    indistinguishable from my BT landline.

    Mike Gayler, Jun 24, 2005
  7. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:30:10 GMT, "NewsAcc" <>
    wrote:

    >Any DECT phone I ever tried always seemed to be worse quality than a normal
    >landline.

    I see.

    The DECT was a common factor in my case. I used a PC headset once and
    the other guy asked about crakcle twice - I couldn't hear any.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 24, 2005
  8. NewsAcc

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "NewsAcc" <> wrote in message
    >I currently use Sipgate with a softphone (SJPhone - which seems to be
    >MUCH better than x-lite) and a standard £20 headset. The quality seems
    >to be pretty good. After using the service for a while (but not so keen
    >on the reliability - see below post !) I quite fancy the idea of going
    >one step further and moving away from the PC headset.
    >
    > Whats the quality of an ATA or IP phone (ie Budgetone 102) compared to a
    > PC headset (which I assume to be the best quality) ?
    >
    > I assume that the ATA and DECT phone setup will be noticably worse than
    > the PC headset ?

    Not at all. Although I prefer wired phones I do occasionally use a DECT
    phone on Sipgate with my Sipura SPA-2000 ATA and the call quality is
    excellent. I was speaking to a friend in the US the other day for 30
    minutes and you would never have known it wasn't a normal PSTN call.

    > The great thing about a seperate IP phone is that I dont 'disturb' the
    > missus when she is on the BT landline ! and we get another phone. With
    > the ATA, we are then limited to one phone (which is great if the ATA has
    > a passthrough, but again I could potentially miss an important business
    > call while the missus is chatting on the BT landline). Perhaps the ATA
    > with PSTN passthough is a perfect choice for making free/cheap calls
    > from one single phone.

    I don't know about PSTN passthrough, I have no requirement for it. Why
    can't you have two phones..?

    > The ultimate setup would be a Wifi Phone, but I cant find any on the
    > net. Are there any tried/tested ones available in the UK that are known
    > to work with Sipgate ?

    Don't like Wi-Fi. Too expensive and no better than a DECT with an ATA.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 24, 2005
  9. NewsAcc

    Martin² Guest

    >The ultimate setup would be a Wifi Phone, but I cant find any on the net.

    The Zyxel 2000W is readily available, but the price is ~£145 (was ~£185 few
    months ago).
    Apparently it works well, but does not like Wifi encryption.
    There are others, see: http://www.square7.com/
    but their prices aren't so good either.

    You may want to consider Zyxel 2602HWL WiFi router with two VoIP ports,
    different registrar and landline pass.
    Mine works fine with Sipgate (free in) , Voipbuster (free out).
    (broadbandbuyer.co.uk was selling them at a wrong price ;-)
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jun 25, 2005
  10. NewsAcc

    Maverick Guest

    Using a cheap Binatone cordless dect phone with a Linksys ATA (PAP2 £35 from
    http://tinyurl.com/862nd) and the quality is excellent. A couple of mates
    have the same and are pretty pleased.

    Mav

    Maverick, Jun 25, 2005