Quality - Nikon D1x v. Canon 1Ds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marinpix, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. Marinpix

    Marinpix Guest

    A couple of months ago, I bit the bullet and traded in all of my Nikon
    lenses and a D1x body and went to the Canon 1Ds, lenses, etc. As anyone
    who has contemplated this leap knows, it's a big one.

    Here's what I didn't know until I made the change: The quality of the
    Canon is dramatically better than that of the Nikon. This is coming
    from a Nikon guy, a guy who for years owned a series of Nikon film
    cameras and made the jump to digital believing that Nikon was every bit
    as good as Canon. I can only say that I am truly surprised that there
    could be as big a difference in the quality of construction at the pro
    level.

    Anyone who has an appreciation of high-quality mechanisms probably
    understands what I'm talking about; it's the details. The more I grow
    accustomed to using the Canon, the more I become aware of the thought
    that Canon has put into making their digital cameras truly "digital" as
    opposed to what seems to me, now, to be Nikon's attempt by trying to
    convert a film camera and mind set to digital. They are not the same
    thing.

    IMHO, if you are contemplating moving to or up in digital, you would be
    well advised to take a close look at Canon as opposed to Nikon. For my
    part, I am so glad to have made the switch. I'm far from flush with
    money. But, I can say in all honesty that it was worth every penny I
    lost on selling perfectly good Nikon gear and the premium I paid for
    new Canon equipment. Knowing what I know now, I would do it again in a
    heartbeat. I guess that says it all.

    Marinpix, Oct 10, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Marinpix <> wrote:
    >The more I grow
    >accustomed to using the Canon, the more I become aware of the thought
    >that Canon has put into making their digital cameras truly "digital" as
    >opposed to what seems to me, now, to be Nikon's attempt by trying to
    >convert a film camera and mind set to digital. They are not the same
    >thing.

    I'm just curious, what was wrong with the D2X? As far as I know, the body
    of the D1X is basically the same as the D1, which was Nikon's first DSLR.

    It is is a bit strange to compare just an old 1st generation design to a
    much more modern one.

    (I briefly played with a 1Ds mk II and didn't like it at all. But then
    again, my current favorite camera is the F4).

    Philip Homburg, Oct 10, 2005