    reburn it

    basically, does the way something is imported affect the quality? thanks
    for any insight.

    MauiJNP, Jan 11, 2005

  2. MauiJNP

    Biz Guest

    "MauiJNP" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > does it matter to the quality of the video which method is used to import
    > the video? for example, which would produce better quality?
    >
    > a- record something with my standalone dvd recorder and then import the

    file
    > onto my computer through the dvd drive to edit it and reburn it
    >
    > OR
    >
    > b- record something onto a dvd and import it via capture card to edit it

    and
    > reburn it
    >

    > basically, does the way something is imported affect the quality? thanks
    > for any insight.

    method "a" is ripping the video, so there is no analog capture involved
    meaning it should be better.

    Truthfully both methods "a" and "b" are inferior to mehtod "c", doing the
    captures straight to the pc, skipping the record to dvd process in the 1st
    place. Using your PC as a DVR can give substantially better results.

    Biz, Jan 11, 2005

  3. MauiJNP

    MauiJNP Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "MauiJNP" <> wrote in message
    >> does it matter to the quality of the video which method is used to import
    >> the video? for example, which would produce better quality?
    >>
    >> a- record something with my standalone dvd recorder and then import the

    > file
    >> onto my computer through the dvd drive to edit it and reburn it
    >>
    >> OR
    >>
    >> b- record something onto a dvd and import it via capture card to edit it

    > and
    >> reburn it
    >>

    >> basically, does the way something is imported affect the quality? thanks
    >> for any insight.
    >>

    > method "a" is ripping the video, so there is no analog capture involved
    > meaning it should be better.
    >
    > Truthfully both methods "a" and "b" are inferior to mehtod "c", doing the
    > captures straight to the pc, skipping the record to dvd process in the 1st
    > place. Using your PC as a DVR can give substantially better results.

    thanks for the help. just curious though, what hardware is required for
    option 'c' above? a video capture card? software? thanks

    MauiJNP, Jan 12, 2005
  4. MauiJNP

    John Gotwals Guest

    "MauiJNP" <> wrote in message

    > thanks for the help. just curious though, what hardware is required for
    > option 'c' above? a video capture card? software? thanks

    Here's one way to do it
    1. Connect the S-Video and L/R audio outputs of your VCR to the
    inputs of a Canopus ADVC-100 digital video converter.
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC-100/pm_advc-100.asp
    Connect the IEE 1394 (Firewire) port of the ADVC-100 to the 1394
    port on your computer.

    2. Use Pinnacle Studio 9 to capture the digital video output and
    store it as an AVI file. The AVI file will be about 13 GB in length
    for each hour of video and contains both video and audio.
    Studio 9 has frame-dropped counter so you can check for
    dropped frames.

    John Gotwals, Jan 12, 2005
  5. MauiJNP

    Biz Guest

    What are your sources?

    Cable/antenna: a simple decent tv tuner card in your pc. You tune the
    channels and record them right there, cant get any better, plus you can edit
    etc...schedule them, all kinds of apps that do this. The most important
    step is finding a good tuner card/capture program combination.

    Some form of tape(analog): use your capture card on your pc.

    digital tape formats: - firewire transfer..

    You find a good card in the $200 or so range, it costs you no more than an
    inexpensive dvd recorder, and your choices and possibilities are now just
    about endless.

    DVD recorders are easy to use, but you lose 98% of the ability to properly
    edit and customize.

    If there were no editing/re-authoring involved or ever wanted, I'd recommend
    a standalone DVD recorder, otherwise I ALWAYS recommend the PC method if
    quality and control of the entire process is what you desire.

    Biz, Jan 12, 2005