Qualitative inputs- Nikon D70s vs Canon EOS Rebel XT/350D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by animesh_77@iitiim.com, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Request members opinions on the D70s vs 350D/Rebel XT. I love the D70's
    feaure set and directness of controls (I'm an N75 user) but am put off
    by:

    a. The very poor viewfinder (very low magnification)
    b. The D70 feels to bulky (not heavy... just too big and conspicuous)

    The Canon is fine on both counts but lacks:

    a. The elegant and more responsive controls of the Nikon
    b.The kit lens on the D70 is far superior (focal length range, optics
    and non-rotating front element)

    What are your views? Did you face such a choice, and what/ how did you
    decide?

    Also, does it make sense to buy a D70s in what must be the last days of
    its product cycle (originally introduced Apr 2004)?

    Thanks and cheers
    , Jan 24, 2006

  2. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > Request members opinions on the D70s vs 350D/Rebel XT. I love the D70's
    > feaure set and directness of controls (I'm an N75 user) but am put off
    > by:
    >
    > a. The very poor viewfinder (very low magnification)
    > b. The D70 feels to bulky (not heavy... just too big and conspicuous)
    >
    > The Canon is fine on both counts but lacks:
    >
    > a. The elegant and more responsive controls of the Nikon
    > b.The kit lens on the D70 is far superior (focal length range, optics
    > and non-rotating front element)
    >
    > What are your views? Did you face such a choice, and what/ how did you
    > decide?
    >
    > Also, does it make sense to buy a D70s in what must be the last days of
    > its product cycle (originally introduced Apr 2004)?
    >
    > Thanks and cheers

    The D70s is a recent camera, a slight update to the older D70.

    The kit lens is really a non-issue on the Canon. If you don't want the
    kit lens, buy the body only and the excellent 17-85 IS lens (which _is_
    offered as a kit with the 20D body).

    It's not like you save hundreds of dollars with a kit, i.e. the
    difference between the D70s with and without the kit lens is $300, and
    the lens purchased separately is $350, a $50 difference. For the Canon
    20D with the excellent 17-85 IS kit lens. The kit is $1660, the body is
    $1200, and the lens alone is $520, a $60 savings. So don't feel that by
    not getting a kit that you're somehow losing a great deal of money over
    buying components separately.

    Qualitative Comparison
    ----------------------

    Nikon D70s kit (with Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens). $1200.
    Plus: Spot focusing.

    Biggest gripes are no mirror lock-up, only after-market vertical grips,
    lower resolution, and no high speed USB.

    Rebel XT ($750 Rebel XT body, plus $500 EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    LENS). $1250

    Plus: Higher resolution and lower noise than the Nikon D70s, and the
    lens includes image-stabilization. Nikon doesn't have a lens similar to
    this Canon lens.

    Gripes: No spot focusing, Canon switched to the lower capacity NB-2LH
    battery from the less expensive and higher capacity BP-511 battery, that
    was used on the 300D, and which is still used on the 20D. Body feels
    cheaper due to type of material used.

    Then there is some subjective stuff, i.e. the 350D is quite a bit
    smaller and lighter than the D70s, which some people think is good, and
    some people think is bad.

    It's still a tough choice between the two. I think I would favor the
    Canon for several reasons:

    -Better image quality due to higher resolution and lower noise sensor
    -Better selection of image stabilized lenses
    -Upgrade path to full-frame (though the EF-s lenses won't work on the
    full-frame models).
    -Canon U.S.A. behaves a lot better than Nikon U.S.A..

    Steve
    "http://digitalslrinfo.com"
    SMS, Jan 31, 2006

  3. cjcampbell Guest

    wrote:
    > Request members opinions on the D70s vs 350D/Rebel XT. I love the D70's
    > feaure set and directness of controls (I'm an N75 user) but am put off
    > by:
    >
    > a. The very poor viewfinder (very low magnification)
    > b. The D70 feels to bulky (not heavy... just too big and conspicuous)
    >
    > The Canon is fine on both counts but lacks:
    >
    > a. The elegant and more responsive controls of the Nikon
    > b.The kit lens on the D70 is far superior (focal length range, optics
    > and non-rotating front element)

    If you want image stabilization on the D70s, forget the kit lens and
    get the 18-200mm AF-S VR DX lens, perhaps one of the most versatile
    optics Nikon has ever introduced. At 200mm it actually focuses closer
    than Nikon's own 200mm Micro-Nikkor. And image quality is pretty good,
    too.

    The big and conspicuous bit can be important. Many people are
    intimidated by a giant piece of glass pointing at them -- I think it is
    the lens more than the camera.

    The Canon is very nice. Although the controls are not as convenient as
    the Nikon's and it is less comfortable to hold, most people seem to
    manage it without too much difficulty. :)

    The difference in resolution and noise between the two is a non-issue.
    You have to be shooting black cats in coal bins and blowing up the
    pictures to wall mural size to see any difference.
    cjcampbell, Feb 1, 2006
  4. alex Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Canon lens.
    >
    > Gripes: No spot focusing, Canon switched to the lower capacity NB-2LH
    > battery from the less expensive and higher capacity BP-511 battery, that
    > was used on the 300D, and which is still used on the 20D. Body feels
    > cheaper due to type of material used.
    >
    > Then there is some subjective stuff, i.e. the 350D is quite a bit smaller
    > and lighter than the D70s, which some people think is good, and some
    > people think is bad.
    >
    > It's still a tough choice between the two. I think I would favor the Canon
    > for several reasons:
    >
    > -Better image quality due to higher resolution and lower noise sensor
    > -Better selection of image stabilized lenses
    > -Upgrade path to full-frame (though the EF-s lenses won't work on the
    > full-frame models).
    > -Canon U.S.A. behaves a lot better than Nikon U.S.A..

    Unless it's called something else, you can disable the 7 spot focus matrix
    and manually select any of the 7 points as a focus point on my 350D.
    Naturally I use the centre normally, but have used the offset side focal
    points occasionally.

    Alex
    alex, Feb 1, 2006
  5. Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <43dff53e$0$95996$>,
    SMS <> wrote:

    > Qualitative Comparison
    > ----------------------
    >
    > Nikon D70s kit (with Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens). $1200.
    > Plus: Spot focusing.

    And the pretty amazing wireless flash system and 2.5x higher flash
    synchro speeed (1/500 vs 1/200) allowing fill-in flash to be used in
    much brighter conditions. The 70-300 lens is also great value and
    there's no reason not to get it unless you're planning to buy a more
    expensive one.

    > Biggest gripes are no mirror lock-up, only after-market vertical grips,
    > lower resolution, and no high speed USB.

    15% larger dimensions is a plus but barely noticable. The USB is a pain
    but I spent $15 on a USB2 23-in-1 card reader that works great.

    > Rebel XT ($750 Rebel XT body, plus $500 EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    > LENS). $1250
    >
    > Plus: Higher resolution and lower noise than the Nikon D70s, and the
    > lens includes image-stabilization. Nikon doesn't have a lens similar to
    > this Canon lens.

    But Nikon *does* have the AF-S Nikkor 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR with
    image stabilization for $200 more than that Canon 17-85 IS. Much longer
    zoom range and larger aperture at all focal lengths.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Feb 1, 2006
  6. Guest

    Canon's 50/1.4 is better than its 50/1.8.

    Nikon's 50/1.8 is better than its 50/1.4.

    I like the following AF feature on 350D. I am not sure whether it is
    available on Nikon.

    350D lets me assign AF to another button under my thumb, separate from
    the shutter button under my finger. So I can thumb press to AF, hold
    down to track AF, and release to keep focus from changing. Any press of
    the shutter will not change focus at all.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr
    , Feb 2, 2006
  7. Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > Nikon D70s kit (with Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens). $1200.
    > Plus: Spot focusing.

    What do you mean by "Spot" focusing?
    As said, it is perfectly feasable to select only one of the 7 AF
    targets at will with the Canon.
    NB : I very rarely use the auto multi-AF mode on my 300d, because it
    will generally focus on an unwanted picture element (like leaves in the
    foreground or whatever), and I prefer pre-focusing with the center AF
    target.

    You might then mean, the Nikon target is more precise and sensible?

    Otherwise, I feel it is hard to answer to the initial question other
    than with the classical "which lens range do you already own or
    prefer?".
    If you already own a N75, you may have some valuable amount of Nikon
    glass that may be used with a D70s? (note though it might also be used
    by a Canon, with an adapter)
    , Feb 2, 2006