    core compatible with this windows or would it run better on a different kind,
    please help!
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=, Oct 8, 2007

  2. xp pro x64, and its just not games, the computer it self its running slower
    than when it had vista ultimate

    =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=, Oct 8, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=

    Steve Guest

    I'm not sure exactly what the problem is for you, but I thought I would just
    inform that I'm running almost identical specs and have no problem what so
    ever (Vista x64 Business). Hence as far as im aware the Q6600 runs fine

    Steve, Oct 8, 2007
  4. I guess you must have missed something during the installation. This is not
    normal. Check your Event Viewer and see if there are any Errors/Warnings.

    As an example - I think Vista has more driver support that auto-installs. XP
    may want you to produce a System CD. Also if you upgrade any drivers it is
    safer to uninstall the old driver completely and re-boot before installing
    the new one.

    If this doesn't lead you anywhere, can you describe your system?
    Motherboard, HD(s), and such.

    And do read through your BIOS Manual and check that you've got all settings
    correct, some of these have grown to be rather complex and the text may
    sound overly technical - I'd suggest starting off by entering your BIOS
    Setup and resetting it to the defaults, and make sure you turn off any
    Overclocking you may have tried!

    And you may want to try flashing your BIOS. A new machine typically has not
    less than a 6month old BIOS, and an update is often waiting for you
    somewhere.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 8, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=

    Mark Guest

    What is the clock speed of the processor? (2.6 or 2.4)
    What was the clock speed of the previous processor?
    (Number of processors is meaningless if the programs can't use them.)

    Is all your memory rated for the same front side bus speed?
    This processor smokes at 1066 MHz, but does dismally if the memory is not
    capable.

    Mark, Oct 8, 2007
  6. the processor is a 2.4, i didnt have any previous processor, but i had vista
    ultimate installed, i got tired of most of my programs not being compatible
    with it, or partially compatible, so i installed xp pro 64bit, i gotta say
    the computer runs alot slower than it did with vista, but vista used like 40%
    of my memory when i had 3 gb just idleing, so i didnt like that either
    i have ddr2 memory 4gb running at 800mhz

    =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=, Oct 9, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    In my experience XP 64 is faster and much more stable than Vista 64. Rock
    solid. Utilises resources much more efficiently by properly allocating
    processes among the cores, where Vista does not.
    If yours is slower I would make sure you have all the proper drivers first.

    John Barnes, Oct 9, 2007
  8. yes and thats why i switched but, i dont understand whats wrong, i have all
    the drivers, i dont understand, maybe im missing a windows hotfix that i dont
    know, the only thing i havent done yet is updating the BIOS.

    =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=, Oct 9, 2007
  9. I am also using Q6600, but I have 6Gb of memory and Dual-8800 GTS SLI. But my
    system is very faster than others. only problem is its host process can stop
    working.
    So I think you should use Problem reports and solutions program to get some
    package from windows website....By the way, as I know from my peoblem report
    my system already have 400 error were reported and sent the error information
    to Micosoft, but untill now just 3 problem were solved......I am still
    waiting for now package or vista sp1...

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbFFK?=, Oct 11, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=

    Mark Guest

    "vista used like 40% of my memory when i had 3 gb just idleing, so i didnt
    like that either"

    Vista makes use of memory at all times, even idling, so that it can respond
    faster to what it thinks you are about to do.
    Why waste the memory by letting it sit there doing nothing?

    If a program needs the memory, Vista gives it up.
    ~~~~~~
    I've only found one program not compatible, Myst. It runs, but kind of
    jerky. Maybe it's just too old and it's the computer, not the program.
    Anyway, maybe in another thread, it would be nice to know what is "not
    compatible."

    Mark, Oct 11, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?czBpMG4=?=

    Allan Guest

    "MichaelQJ" <> wrote in message
    >I am also using Q6600, but I have 6Gb of memory and Dual-8800 GTS SLI. But
    >my
    > system is very faster than others. only problem is its host process can
    > stop
    > working.
    > So I think you should use Problem reports and solutions program to get
    > some
    > package from windows website....By the way, as I know from my peoblem
    > report
    > my system already have 400 error were reported and sent the error
    > information
    > to Micosoft, but untill now just 3 problem were solved......I am still
    > waiting for now package or vista sp1...
    >
    > "s0i0n" wrote:
    >
    >> I recently bought an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 i have 4gb of memory and a
    >> nvidia 8600gts for video card and all my games are running slow, is the
    >> quad
    >> core compatible with this windows or would it run better on a different
    >> kind,
    >> please help!
    >> Thank You

    I think the OP is referring to Windows XP Pro x64, not to Vista. What
    OS/version are you running?

    Allan, Oct 12, 2007