    recommend some supplemental reading that is more of a high-level
    overview of the Cisco implementation?

    Thanks for the help

    response3, Feb 9, 2007

  2. response3

    Guest

    On 9 Feb, 21:04, "response3" <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Catalyst 6500, and am learning QoS. I have read that this
    > switch has the capability to perform QoS functions on an egress port,
    > specifically, egress queuing and COS remarking. My question is, why
    > is this useful if I have ingress classification, and congestion
    > avoidance (WRED) setup on all my ingress ports?
    >
    > BTW, it seems getting QoS setup is quite a convoluted process. Any
    > suggestions? I have the Cisco QoS Exam Guide, but can anyone
    > recommend some supplemental reading that is more of a high-level
    > overview of the Cisco implementation?
    >
    > Thanks for the help

    Egress queuing is useful if two or more ingress
    ports send traffic to a single egress port. Or of
    course a high speed ingress port feeds a lower
    speed egress port. I think that the keys to
    QoS are ingress (or of course at source) marking
    and egress queuing.

    Settin up QoS is a convoluted process.

    I have not yet really been there, done that,
    however the routers (cpu switching - 2800, 3800,
    7200) do QoS quite straightforwardly however the
    switches seem require you to get pretty close
    to the hardware.

    Even the routers though have variations
    between models, interfaces, etc.

    , Feb 9, 2007