QOS VOIP - Hosted IP PBX Provider

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by pilotnine@gmail.com, Jul 4, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider.
    I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and
    clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS
    on router, and am wondering if this will help. Hosted provider is
    using MGCP and g.721 compression. The T1 line is mostly idle and used
    very little for anything other than web surfing and phone calls.T1
    line is error free and IP PBX provider checked and claim nothing is
    wrong on their end.

    Does anyone have a sample QOS configuration that may work? or point me
    to the right direction where I may obtain
    more information.

    IP hosted PBX provider -----Internet Cloud -----Cisco 1720---
    Firewall-------Switch---SIP IP phones..

    Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ENTBASE-M), Version
    12.3(8)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 10-Aug-05 19:07 by dchih

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Thanks!

    Bill

    , Jul 4, 2008

  2. bill the kid Guest

    On Jul 4, 9:48 am, "headsetadapter.com" <> wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > If your T1 used not only for telephony, then you definitely need to
    > configure QoS on the router, as well as on your switches, as well as confirm
    > the configuration on the provider side. Here is a great document on all
    > aspects of QoS on Cisco devices (it's "best practices" for Quality of
    > Service).
    >
    > In general, you must configure QoS on all your devices - the router, LAN
    > switches, phones. For example, if you configured QoS on the router, but your
    > LAN switch strips QoS marking, your QoS will not work. Or if your phone
    > sends other information, than router expects. Here is a list of what you
    > should do:
    >
    > 1. On the Router configure Priority Queuing (page 185)
    > 2. On the Router configure Traffic Shaping for the voice (pages 206-215)
    > based on number of calls you expect.
    > 3. On the switch(es) configure CoS trust (pick the section in the menu
    > depending on model of your switch)
    > 4. Confirm with the provider, what DSCP values do they expect.
    >
    > Also, since you have a firewall between your LAN and the router, things may
    > become more complicated, since firewalls (except the latest code of Cisco
    > ASA) do not understand and do not conform the QoS settings. So, you may need
    > to re-classify all voice traffic at the router.
    >
    > Also, if you don't feel comfortable with doing all this stuff yourself, I
    > would advice you to get a consultant, who will do all this changes for you.
    > Believe me, it will be faster and cheaper.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Mike
    > CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
    > CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
    > ------
    > Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapter.com
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider.
    > > I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and
    > > clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS
    > > on router, and am wondering if this will help. Hosted provider is
    > > using MGCP and g.721 compression. The T1 line is mostly idle and used
    > > very little for anything other than web surfing and phone calls.T1
    > > line is error free and IP PBX provider checked and claim nothing is
    > > wrong on their end.

    > > Does anyone have a sample QOS configuration that may work? or point me
    > > to the right direction where I may obtain
    > > more information.

    > > IP hosted PBX provider -----Internet Cloud -----Cisco 1720---
    > > Firewall-------Switch---SIP IP phones..

    > > Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ENTBASE-M), Version
    > > 12.3(8)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > > Technical Support:http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    > > Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    > > Compiled Wed 10-Aug-05 19:07 by dchih

    > > ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Mike,

    Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have a URL or the author of the
    mentioned doc - "Here is a great document on all

    bill the kid, Jul 4, 2008

  3. John Osmon Guest

    wrote:
    : Hi,

    : Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider.
    : I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and
    : clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS
    : on router, and am wondering if this will help.

    Don't forget -- QOS on your 1720 only queues things on the egress of
    your network. Your provider has to provide queuing for the ingress.

    A better solution is to buy a bigger pipe, but that isn't always
    an economical solution.

    I sell a hosted PBX product. We try to make sure we also sell the
    Internet access so that we can control packet flow to the customer
    premise. It helps us eliminate a number of the quality issues that
    other hosted companies run into.

    We also keep all of our VOIP gear in a single /24, so that customers can
    prioritize packets in our direction based on IP address. A lot of cheap
    equipment allows you to priority-queue things based on IP addresses.
    (Actiontec ADSL equipment comes to mind...)

    An old-school Cisco template for priority queueing would look like:
    !
    interface Serial0
    priority-group 1
    !
    access-list 112 permit ip any <voiop-ip-block> <mask>
    !
    priority-list 1 protocol ip high list 112

    This template is likely to work on your 1720 -- but doesn't use the
    newer modular QOS mechanisms, so is likely to draw ire from many
    directions.

    John Osmon, Jul 8, 2008