    Thanks,
    Josh
    , Jun 20, 2007

  2. dman1973 Guest

    On Jun 20, 8:11 am, wrote:
    > I am wondering what is possible to setup for a Cisco WS-C2950-12 to
    > prioritize traffic between 2 ports on the switch but allow a third
    > port also access on of the ports. The setup is as follows:
    >
    > Port Fa0/1: Time Warner Cable Router
    > Port Fa0/2: Sonicwall Firewall
    > Port Fa0/3: VOIP controller card for our phones
    >
    > I want the traffic between ports Fa0/3 and Fa0/1 to take precedence
    > over taffic between Fa0/2 and Fa0/1. I tried to figure out a way to
    > use VLANs but I cannot seem to make this work without another piece of
    > equipment. Is there something I can do besides have a router for
    > inter-vlan communication?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Josh

    Well, you could use your router, provided it has enough interfaces.
    You will need some sort of layer 3 device to route between the VLANs,
    be it the switch, a firewall, etc.

    Regarding QoS, what problem are you trying to solve?

    Here is the guide on QoS for your switch:

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12122ea7/scg/swqos.htm

    Do you have the standard or enhanced image? I believe some of the
    features aren't there with the standard image.

    At any rate, QoS is probably better used when you have more than 1
    network device involved - end to end. I probably wouldn't worry about
    oversubscribing the backplane on this switch. Also, let's say you do
    mark your outbound packets (to Time Warner). They'll just ignore the
    DSCP values you set.

    -Dan
    http://ccie-lounge.blogspot.com
    dman1973, Jun 21, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jun 20, 9:57 pm, dman1973 <> wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 8:11 am, wrote:
    >

    > > I am wondering what is possible to setup for a Cisco WS-C2950-12 to
    > > prioritize traffic between 2 ports on the switch but allow a third
    > > port also access on of the ports. The setup is as follows:

    > > Port Fa0/1: Time Warner Cable Router
    > > Port Fa0/2: Sonicwall Firewall
    > > Port Fa0/3: VOIP controller card for our phones

    > > I want the traffic between ports Fa0/3 and Fa0/1 to take precedence
    > > over taffic between Fa0/2 and Fa0/1. I tried to figure out a way to
    > > use VLANs but I cannot seem to make this work without another piece of
    > > equipment. Is there something I can do besides have a router for
    > > inter-vlan communication?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Josh

    > Well, you could use your router, provided it has enough interfaces.
    > You will need some sort of layer 3 device to route between the VLANs,
    > be it the switch, a firewall, etc.
    >
    > Regarding QoS, what problem are you trying to solve?
    >
    > Here is the guide on QoS for your switch:
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12122ea7/...
    >
    > Do you have the standard or enhanced image? I believe some of the
    > features aren't there with the standard image.
    >
    > At any rate, QoS is probably better used when you have more than 1
    > network device involved - end to end. I probably wouldn't worry about
    > oversubscribing the backplane on this switch. Also, let's say you do
    > mark your outbound packets (to Time Warner). They'll just ignore the
    > DSCP values you set.
    >
    > -Danhttp://ccie-lounge.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

    The problem I am trying to solve is poor VOIP sound quality. When the
    network traffic on our Sonicwall firewall is using alot of bandwidth
    the voice quality on the phones decreases. I need to make sure VOIP
    traffice takes precedence and always has enough bandwidth.

    Thanks,
    Josh
    , Jun 21, 2007