    Hope you can help me...

    Kind regards,

    Sebastiaan Brozius
    Iskander, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Iskander

    Ken Johnson Guest

    This is a subject I'm interested in also.

    My DSL setup has PPPoE so it's more complicated with a dialer
    interface. Which is worse for me.

    However, using my Cisco 1720 router running 12.3(5a), here's what I've
    learned so far.
    - The ATM interface doesn't support CBWFQ
    - Can put WRED but not FRED on the pvc.
    - I'm unclear about the queueing relationship of the 4 interfaces for
    the DSL connection; ATM0, ATM0.1, Dialer0, Virtual-Access1.
    I'll be interested in what we learn.
    Ken Johnson, Feb 2, 2005

  3. Iskander

    Ben Guest

    Iskander wrote:
    > Hoi y'all,
    >
    > I'm trying to set up QoS on my ADSL-router, but I don't seem to get
    > anywhere..
    >
    > Could any of you give me a pointer as to how to set up QoS on an
    > ATM-interface?
    >
    > I don't use a dialer-interface for the DSL-connection, and have a
    > subinterface with the pvc configured.
    > Hope you can help me...
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Sebastiaan Brozius

    Exactly what are you trying to achieve? There's no such thing as a
    general qos setup, we need to know your requirements.
    Ben, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Iskander

    Iskander Guest

    What I'm trying to set up, is to be able to give EIGRP a Low
    Latency-priority, a Custom-protocol (RDP) a fixed minimum bandwidth
    with the ability to grab what it needs above the minimum, HTTP and FTP
    a lesser priority, and the rest whatever bandwidth is available...
    Iskander, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Iskander

    Ben Guest

    Iskander wrote:
    > What I'm trying to set up, is to be able to give EIGRP a Low
    > Latency-priority, a Custom-protocol (RDP) a fixed minimum bandwidth
    > with the ability to grab what it needs above the minimum, HTTP and FTP
    > a lesser priority, and the rest whatever bandwidth is available...

    Ok, that's fairly easy.

    1) First you need a class-map matching each of the 4 classes.

    Eigrp should already be marked to ip precedence 6 by your router, but
    you can check this with a packet sniffer. So you can just match ip prec
    6 for your priority class, and you will pick anything the router marks
    to 6 by default, such as routing protocols and ntp.

    class-map match-any EIGRP-ET-ALL
    match ip precedence 6

    The other classes you should be able to figure out...

    2) 2nd the actual policy, e.g.

    policy-map ADSL
    class eigrp-et-all
    priority percent x
    class rdp
    bandwidth percent y
    class http-ftp
    bandwidth percent z
    class class-default (optional)
    bandwidth percent n

    3) Apply the policy to the PVC (not sub-int

    interface atm 0
    pvc 8/35
    service policy output ADSL
    Ben, Feb 9, 2005
  6. Iskander

    Iskander Guest

    Works like a charm!

    One more Q, though...

    As far as I can tell, the bandwidth-values are fixed reservations for
    the QoS-classes. Is there a way to specify a minimum and a maximum a
    class can use, using ATM sub-interfaces?
    Iskander, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Iskander

    Ken Johnson Guest

    Ben wrote:

    [ deleted ]

    > 3) Apply the policy to the PVC (not sub-int)
    >
    > interface atm 0
    > pvc 8/35
    > service policy output ADSL

    I apply my service policy to the pvc and the service policy disappears!

    PVC accepts the "service-policy output ADSL" command without complaint.
    However when I do a "show run" it's not there, and "show policy int
    atm0.1 vc 0/35" says a service policy is not configured on that pvc.

    I'm going to try upgrading from my 12.3(5a) to a newer version.
    Ken Johnson, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Iskander

    Iskander Guest

    Do a "term mon" before going into config-mode and then re-apply the
    policy.
    When you do an "exit-vc" and "exit" after applying the policy, the
    reason for not applying the policy will be shown...
    Iskander, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Iskander

    Ken Johnson Guest

    Iskander wrote:
    > Do a "term mon" before going into config-mode and then re-apply the
    > policy.
    > When you do an "exit-vc" and "exit" after applying the policy, the
    > reason for not applying the policy will be shown...

    Here's the error:
    Feb 18 16:17:58.585 CST: I/f ATM0.1 VC 0/35 class cmUDP requested
    bandwidth 150 (kbps), available only 0 (kbps)

    Neither the "show interface" or "show atm 0.1 pvc 0/35" show a 0
    bandwidth.
    Ken Johnson, Feb 18, 2005
  10. Iskander

    Iskander Guest

    Can you post the config of that (sub)-interface? (Omit usernames and
    passwords if in that config....)
    Iskander, Feb 19, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    Ken Johnson <> wrote:

    > Iskander wrote:
    > > Do a "term mon" before going into config-mode and then re-apply the
    > > policy.
    > > When you do an "exit-vc" and "exit" after applying the policy, the
    > > reason for not applying the policy will be shown...

    > Here's the error:
    > Feb 18 16:17:58.585 CST: I/f ATM0.1 VC 0/35 class cmUDP requested
    > bandwidth 150 (kbps), available only 0 (kbps)

    I get a similar error when attempting to attach a service-policy to an ATM
    point-to-point interface on an 837 (I tried attaching the service policy
    on the linked dialer interface too, but the same occurred).

    Under the pvc configuration of the ATM point-to-point interface, is it
    necessary to specify vbt-nrt parameters. I am attempting to implement some
    for of LLQ on the router to prioritise outbound voice traffic (in addition
    to ppp multilink interleave and fragment-delay).

    This error is suggesting that the ATM network itself is informing the
    router that it won't support the requested bandwidth for a priority queue.
    Does the actual ATM PVC need to be provisioned in a specific way to
    achieve this?

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    Matthew Melbourne
    Matthew Melbourne, Feb 23, 2005
  12. Iskander

    Iskander Guest

    On our pvc's we have a cbr specified.....

    LLQ and bandwidth-allocation are working...
    Iskander, Feb 23, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    Iskander <> wrote:
    > On our pvc's we have a cbr specified.....
    >
    > LLQ and bandwidth-allocation are working...

    Do you have a sample config?

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    Matthew Melbourne
    Matthew Melbourne, Feb 23, 2005
  14. Iskander

    Iskander Guest

    Here's the config Ben gave earlier on in this thread.

    Ok, that's fairly easy.

    1) First you need a class-map matching each of the 4 classes.

    Eigrp should already be marked to ip precedence 6 by your router, but
    you can check this with a packet sniffer. So you can just match ip prec
    6 for your priority class, and you will pick anything the router marks
    to 6 by default, such as routing protocols and ntp.

    class-map match-any EIGRP-ET-ALL
    match ip precedence 6

    The other classes you should be able to figure out...

    2) 2nd the actual policy, e.g.

    policy-map ADSL
    class eigrp-et-all
    priority percent x
    ! priority is for LLQ
    class rdp
    bandwidth percent y
    class http-ftp
    bandwidth percent z
    class class-default (optional)
    bandwidth percent n

    3) Apply the policy to the PVC (not sub-int

    interface atm 0
    pvc 8/35
    service policy output ADSL

    In our pvc-declaration, there's a cbr-statement with the bandwidth as
    parameter...
    Iskander, Feb 23, 2005