QOS management on 2960 lan-lite switches

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by devx, May 8, 2012.

  1. devx

    devx Guest

    Dear all,

    one of my customers is starting to migrate his voice infrastructure to a
    solution based on Cisco UCM and Cisco VOIP phones.
    The access switches he is currently using are all Cisco 2960 with
    LAN-LITE feature set and unfortunately the qos capabilities of these
    devices are very limited.

    In my first attempt to overcome this limitation I deployed and tested
    the configuration reported below:

    mls qos
    mls qos srr-queue input cos-map queue 2 threshold 1 3 5
    mls qos srr-queue input priority-queue 2 bandwidth 20
    mls qos srr-queue output cos-map queue 1 threshold 1 3 5
    mls qos srr-queue output cos-map queue 2 threshold 3 0

    The problem is that the customer is currently using a desktop
    virtualization solution (not Cisco VXI) based on ultra-thin client
    devices; these devices generate a very bursty traffic workload and the
    output-queue 2-3 is experiencing a very high packet drop (which
    generates a poor user experience).

    Next step I'd like to try is to grow the output queue size of the
    fast-ethernet ports from 40 (which is the default) to 60 in the attempt
    to lower the tail-drop effet on the output-queue 2-3. What about it?

    Are there any options or solutions I'm currently not considering?

    Regards.

    Alberto

    devx, May 8, 2012