QOS for multicast

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by P, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. P

    P Guest

    I am running a small network of 5 3350-48 SMI switches trunked to a 3550-12G
    running EMI. There is no layer 2 redundancy but the 12G routes between the
    two main data VLANS. There is also a voice vlan in the network.

    When I run multicast video streams (8mbit mpeg) I am running into QOS
    issues. If the sender and receiver is on the same switch, I get good
    performance. When the sender/receiver are on different switches but the same
    vlan I get picture and sound quality issues. Skipping, occasional dropouts,
    etc.

    When the sender/receiver are on a different vlan on different switches, I
    get poorer performance again.

    No packets are dropped at layer 2. The links are not flooded. In fact they
    show exactly what you would expect. Around 8% utilisation for the access
    ports and hardly anything on the trunks. CPU also seems fine.

    Does this sound like a QOS issue? Would I solve it via queuing or policy
    maps? I need to take the next step in troubleshooting and I am finding
    resources lacking..

    thanks

    Paul

    P, Oct 19, 2003