QoS for IP phones

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by FixitDave, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. FixitDave

    FixitDave Guest

    I have been asked to setup QoS for somebodys IP phones...having never done
    this before I need a little help.

    First of all, is there a minimum IOS feature set and/or version?

    I have a 1721 at the remote end and a 3640 at the central end...sh ver is
    below...

    Would anyone recommend the "autoqos" command as opposed to manual config??

    TIA to all that help...Dave

    IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-Y-M), Version 12.2(4)YA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEA
    E SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Synched to technology version 12.2(5.4)T
    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Compiled Thu 11-Apr-02 21:54 by ealyon
    Image text-base: 0x80008124, data-base: 0x807976DC

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    ROM: C1700 Software (C1700-Y-M), Version 12.2(4)YA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEASE S
    FTWARE (fc1)

    Brimington uptime is 3 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c1700-y-mz.122-4.YA2.bin"

    cisco 1721 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 24576K/8192K bytes of
    memo
    y.
    Processor board ID FOC072213NL (2550280394), with hardware revision 0000
    MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-I-M), Version 12.2(5a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Compiled Thu 04-Oct-01 13:46 by pwade
    Image text-base: 0x600089A8, data-base: 0x60A54000

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Scarsdale uptime is 34 weeks, 2 days, 1 hour, 37 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System restarted at 13:43:58 UTC Wed Jan 21 2004
    System image file is "flash:c3640-i-mz.122-5a.bin"

    cisco 3640 (R4700) processor (revision 0x00) with 73728K/24576K bytes of
    memory.
    Processor board ID 26879728
    R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
    Channelized E1, Version 1.0.
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    Primary Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    15 Serial network interface(s)
    12 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
    1 Channelized E1/PRI port(s)
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    FixitDave, Sep 18, 2004

  2. FixitDave

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <3MT2d.23647$>,
    says...
    > I have been asked to setup QoS for somebodys IP phones...having never done
    > this before I need a little help.
    >
    > First of all, is there a minimum IOS feature set and/or version?

    As many answers in networking... it depends what you want to do and what
    you actually have.

    > I have a 1721 at the remote end and a 3640 at the central end...sh ver is
    > below...
    >
    > Would anyone recommend the "autoqos" command as opposed to manual config??

    Since look like you don't know much about QoS (I could be wrong with
    this), autoqos could be a good start for you. You might even get wanted
    results like that. If not, the only way is manual config (look at CCO,
    there's a lot examples of how to set QoS for VoIP envirnoment).

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostres, Sep 18, 2004

  3. FixitDave

    FixitDave Guest

    Thanks Ivan...I've had a look on the CCO about QoS but I'm unable to
    actually find any docs on the minimum IOS version and feature set...

    Can anybody confim if I need IP Plus, or will stanard IP do and what version
    is the most stable with autoqos...tia

    Regards
    Dave

    FixitDave, Sep 18, 2004
  4. FixitDave

    Scooby Guest

    "FixitDave" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Scarsdale uptime is 34 weeks, 2 days, 1 hour, 37 minutes
    > System returned to ROM by power-on
    > System restarted at 13:43:58 UTC Wed Jan 21 2004
    > System image file is "flash:c3640-i-mz.122-5a.bin"
    >
    > cisco 3640 (R4700) processor (revision 0x00) with 73728K/24576K bytes of
    > memory.
    > Processor board ID 26879728
    > R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
    > Channelized E1, Version 1.0.
    > Bridging software.
    > X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    > Primary Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.
    > 1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    > 15 Serial network interface(s)
    > 12 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
    > 1 Channelized E1/PRI port(s)
    > DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    > 125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    > 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Dave,

    I would definitely use the auto-qos feature. I believe that the qos is
    available on all ios routers dating back quite a ways with just the standard
    ip software. The best way to test on yours is to just enter a simple
    class-map and then a service policy on your interface. Search on Cisco for
    some qos examples.

    However, to use the auto-qos, which would be best if you are not familiar
    with QOS, you will need a particular IOS version. From what I can tell on
    the feature navigator, standard IP feature set is okay, but you IOS versions
    are not. It looks like the minimum version is different for each platform.
    Use the feature navigator to figure what IOS will work best for you: Start
    here: http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

    If you don't have a CCO login, just cancel and follow directions. You can
    set yourself up a guest account.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Sep 18, 2004
  5. FixitDave

    FixitDave Guest

    Thanks Jim for the link...yes I have a CCO log in and I've never seen the
    "Cisco Feature Navigator" page before, nor knew it existed.

    Thanks again
    Dave

    "Scooby" <> wrote in message
    > "FixitDave" <> wrote in message
    > > I have been asked to setup QoS for somebodys IP phones...having never

    done
    > > this before I need a little help.
    > >
    > > First of all, is there a minimum IOS feature set and/or version?
    > >
    > > I have a 1721 at the remote end and a 3640 at the central end...sh ver

    is
    > > below...
    > >
    > > Would anyone recommend the "autoqos" command as opposed to manual

    config??

    > > TIA to all that help...Dave

    <snip>

    FixitDave, Sep 18, 2004
  6. FixitDave

    Ben Guest

    Just to second that, I would agree on using Autoqos. Especially if all you
    need to is provide a low-latency queue for voip traffic. There have been PhD
    studies on the best settings for WRED and other QoS features, so I would
    leave that can of worms alone :)

    Ben, Sep 21, 2004