    that
    i could run on my PC to generate tagged packets ?

    thanks

    mcaissie, Mar 16, 2005

  2. mcaissie

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <XIZZd.60818$fc4.44765@edtnps89>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to valid some Qos configurations. Is there a dscp generator
    > that
    > i could run on my PC to generate tagged packets ?

    Not sure about one for PC (it's been a long time - i remember that MGEN
    could probably do that), but why not use a router for setting dscp? Then
    you just have to ping or use ttcp.

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Mar 16, 2005

  3. mcaissie

    Scooby Guest

    "mcaissie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to valid some Qos configurations. Is there a dscp generator
    > that
    > i could run on my PC to generate tagged packets ?
    >
    > thanks

    You can create a service policy that will flag all (or certain) types of
    traffic as a certain QOS. Set that service policy on the interface that
    your pc is connected to. While your pc isn't creating the tags, you are
    doing pretty much the same thing, without the need for extra software.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Mar 16, 2005
  4. mcaissie

    Guest

    Re: Qos dscp generator ??

    The IOS extended ping can create packets with
    the Priority/TOS/DSCP field set.

    router#ping
    Protocol [ip]:
    Target IP address: 192.168.8.1
    Repeat count [5]:
    Datagram size [100]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]: y
    Source address or interface: ethernet0
    Type of service [0]: 0xb8
    Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:
    Validate reply data? [no]:
    Data pattern [0xABCD]:
    Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:
    Sweep range of sizes [n]:
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.8.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    Packet sent with a source address of 192.168.1.118
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 40/41/44 ms
    router#

    This matched 'dscp ef' as follows:-

    class-map match-all voiceoutclass
    match dscp ef
    !
    !
    policy-map voiceoutpolicy
    class voiceoutclass
    priority 150
    class class-default
    fair-queue

    I don't know if it is possible to specify the TOS field
    other than in hex. It was the first thing that I tried and
    it seemed to meet my requirements.

    TOS 0xb8 = DSCP Expedited Forwarding (ef)

    Confusing or what? I know that there is some reason
    behind it does it does seem insanely complex to
    work with doring this transitional period.

    sh policy-map int xx

    displays some stats.

    , Mar 19, 2005