QoS and Rate Limiting on a ADSL circuit running VoIP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by TechGuy, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. TechGuy

    TechGuy Guest

    I have a remote office with a 6Mbps download and a 384Kbps upload ADSL
    circuit. Site has a Cisco 837 router, and I have two Cisco 7940 IP
    phones there.

    I have the ADSL connection up, created a VPN tunnel to our main
    office. We have a 3 Mbps fiber connection at our main office for the
    internet. Phones are up and registered with our Cisco Call Manager.

    Quality is fairly good, with a little jitter and issues here and
    there.

    I would like to implement a little QoS and also possible some rate
    limiting to drop non VoIP packets. The rate limiting may not be
    necessary I assume if the VoIP is done right.

    Considering implementing the following:

    class-map match-any voip
    match ip rtp 16384 16383
    class-map match-all rdp-ica
    match access-group 152
    class-map match-all voip-control
    match access-group 151

    policy-map VoIP
    class voip
    priority 256
    class voip-control
    bandwidth 32
    class class-default
    fair-queue
    random-detect
    shape average 384000

    access-list 150 permit udp any any range 16383 32767
    access-list 151 permit tcp any any eq 2000
    access-list 152 permit tcp any any range 1030 3389

    Problem I have here is figuring out what bandwidth to put in above.
    Particulary for the shape average. I am thinking it should be shaped
    for the 384 since that is the max outbound I have.

    I want the voice calls to always have the set bandwidth no matter
    what. I dont want any other traffic to be able to drown out the voice
    calls.

    Any recommendations?
    TechGuy, Sep 3, 2004