QoS and CoS with VoIP ?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by IHateSpam, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. IHateSpam

    IHateSpam Guest

    OK.. I dont know a whole lot about utilizing QoS and or CoS within a
    Cisco environment, especially with VoIP.

    I am trying to do a little lab situation on my own for some testing.
    I have two Cisco 2610's with T1 WIC DSU's. I have a T1 cross over
    between the two, and have them communicating using the following
    serial0 config on the DSU's.

    int serial0/0 - Router 2

    ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation ppp
    service-module t1 clock source internal
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-8

    int serial0/0 - Router 1

    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation ppp
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-8

    OK.. so I will be hooking up a Cat 3550 to one router and get a couple
    of our IP phones hooked up, and a PC. I will hook up a connection to
    our internal network on the other router. Basically emulating a
    branch office connection to our corporate office

    I will then run wan killer between PC to PC to really hog up the
    bandwidth between the routers.

    I want to then try to start making VoIP calls to our existing
    corporate office cisco phones over the WAN link.

    Ideally I want to implement some QoS or CoS over the circuit that will
    effectively manage a few VoIP calls and data. I would like to
    experience a bad voice call to see how it is affected, and adjust QoS
    or CoS accordingly to find a sweet spot.

    I am just not sure where to begin with the QoS or CoS. For example,
    would it be applied on both routers to the serial interfaces? Or
    typically just on one? I would assume its the serial interface since
    we are trying to manage the bandwidth and quality between the wan
    link.

    Anyone know of some public config examples for a similiar setup? I
    have a ton of cisco tac printouts right now in front of me, so I have
    a lot of reading. I also got the cisco press Deploying QoS for the
    Enterprise. Hopefully I will find my answer on my own and get moving
    on this asap. But if anyone has anything to offer please do so.

    IHateSpam, Feb 18, 2004

  2. IHateSpam

    Hank Karl Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:01:36 -0600, IHateSpam
    <> wrote:

    >Ideally I want to implement some QoS or CoS over the circuit that will
    >effectively manage a few VoIP calls and data. I would like to
    >experience a bad voice call to see how it is affected, and adjust QoS
    >or CoS accordingly to find a sweet spot.

    There's more to voice quality than the utilization of one link.

    http://www.voiptroubleshooter.com/voiptr_usersymptoms.htm will show
    you a lot of VoIP voice quality issues, many of which are not affected
    by QOS. There are some audio files so you can listen to what some of
    the impairments sound like.

    Hank Karl, Feb 20, 2004