Qimage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bs_kramer@yahoo.com, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Aug 6, 2006

  2. Pete D Guest

    I wouldn't bother, has limited RAW support and poor camera support, plenty
    of others are better, try Irfanview.

    Pete D, Aug 6, 2006

  3. "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >I wouldn't bother, has limited RAW support and poor camera support, plenty
    >of others are better, try Irfanview.

    It has _NO_ raw support: it's an image printing program. A superb image
    printing program.

    >> Does anyone have any experience with Qimage, a product specifically for
    >> image printing. It is available at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    It's designed to get your images onto paper in the best possible way. Works
    great.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Aug 6, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any experience with Qimage, a product specifically
    > for
    > image printing. It is available at
    > http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    If you want superior output from your existing images, go for it.

    It now offers three versions at different price points. The different
    versions are worth every dime they cost and the trade-up options are
    fair for the features offered
    (http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/editions.htm), and the audiences
    they serve.

    I consider Qimage as one of the 'toolbox essentials'.

    --
    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 6, 2006
  5. wrote:
    : Does anyone have any experience with Qimage, a product specifically for
    : image printing. It is available at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    I use it for making multi page poster prints. I have no complaints with
    the parts of the program I use. But since there is a lot of functions that
    I don't use, there may be faults I have not run into yet. I'll let others
    let you know about the rest of the program. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Aug 6, 2006
  6. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    There are those that think its the cats meow. Personally, I think it's a
    hairball.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 6, 2006
  7. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any experience with Qimage, a product specifically for
    > image printing. It is available at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    Yup, love it - only program I use to print whether at home or using it to
    prep files for printing elsewhere.

    Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor camera
    support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to transfer files.
    It does one thing extremely well, no need to make the program do anything
    else.

    Mark
    Mark B., Aug 6, 2006
  8. Pete D Guest

    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm
    Pete D, Aug 6, 2006
  9. Pete D Guest

    Pete D, Aug 6, 2006
  10. VK Guest

    wrote:
    > Does anyone have any experience with Qimage, a product specifically for
    > image printing. It is available at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    I use it - it is fantastic value for printing. It uses an excellent
    interpolation algorithm which is far superior to Photoshops, and also
    has a very good and easy-to-use print sharpening algorithm.

    As a result, printing is a snap. All you do is get the image the way
    you like it on screen, and QImage takes care of the output resizing and
    sharpening. The output on my Epson 2100 is really, really good.

    And as an added bonus, you can use their interpolation software to
    upsize TIFF images for agency submissions. Their Pyramid
    interpolation yields results that are as good as Genuine Fractals for
    the amount of up-ressing I do (which, admittedly, is no more than
    200%).

    Easily worth the $50 they charge for it, IMO.

    Vandit
    VK, Aug 6, 2006
  11. Jimmy Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    >> Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor camera
    >> support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to transfer
    >> files.

    > http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

    Pete, did you even bother to read the first 3-4 paragraphs on the link you
    so kindly provided? The programs primary function is printing, which is
    exactly what the original poster mentioned. Qimage has limited raw support
    granted as they note, but DDsoftware does say, "Let the raw processing tools
    do their job to develop your raw files and let Qimage do its job in getting
    you the best possible prints."
    Jimmy, Aug 6, 2006
  12. "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark B." <> wrote in message

    SNIP
    >> Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor
    >> camera support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to
    >> transfer files.

    > http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

    And to quote from that page:
    "Use a good professional raw processing tool to process your raw files
    and save them as high quality JPEG or TIFF images. You will then be
    able to ensure the highest image quality and accuracy and will be able
    to utilize those processed JPEG/TIFF images in other software such as
    Qimage."

    That's what Qimage is about, highest (output) image quality, so use a
    dedicated tool for a dedicated task. Besides, if the author had to
    split his attention between Raw conversion (new encrypted formats
    would also need to be added) and output quality, both would suffer.

    --
    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 6, 2006
  13. "VK" <> wrote in message

    SNIP
    > Their Pyramid interpolation yields results that are as good as
    > Genuine Fractals for the amount of up-ressing I do (which,
    > admittedly, is no more than 200%).

    And an improved method was recently added, 'Hybrid interpolation'. It
    generates even more detailed interpolations while, just like Pyramid
    interpolation, maintaining the integrity of edges (without GF's
    exaggeration).

    'Hybrid' may be a little too detailed for stuff like portraits, but
    then the other choices remain available, and for Professional users
    the more expensive 'Studio Edition' has a 'Hybrid SE' interpolation
    method that also reduces possible halo effects.

    --
    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 6, 2006
  14. J. Clarke Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >>I wouldn't bother, has limited RAW support and poor camera support, plenty
    >>of others are better, try Irfanview.

    > It has _NO_ raw support: it's an image printing program. A superb image
    > printing program.

    Actually it does have some for older cameras.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Aug 6, 2006
  15. J. Clarke Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >>>I wouldn't bother, has limited RAW support and poor camera support,
    >>>plenty of others are better, try Irfanview.

    >> It has _NO_ raw support: it's an image printing program. A superb image
    >> printing program.

    >> It's designed to get your images onto paper in the best possible way.
    >> Works great.
    >>
    >> David J. Littleboy
    >> Tokyo, Japan
    >>

    > http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

    Which, boiled down to the bare essentials, says "we supported RAW back when
    you couldn't get a decent RAW converter for under 500 bucks and while we
    haven't removed that code we won't continue developing it and don't expect
    it to work with any current production cameras and it wasn't all that good
    to begin with, so you really should be using something else for that
    purpose".

    Why are you having such a problem with this? The producers of Qimage don't
    seem to _want_ people to try to use it as a RAW converter so why do you?

    J. Clarke, Aug 6, 2006
  16. Celcius Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message

    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor

    camera
    > >> support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to transfer
    > >> files.

    > > http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

    > Pete, did you even bother to read the first 3-4 paragraphs on the link you
    > so kindly provided? The programs primary function is printing, which is
    > exactly what the original poster mentioned. Qimage has limited raw

    support
    > granted as they note, but DDsoftware does say, "Let the raw processing

    tools
    > do their job to develop your raw files and let Qimage do its job in

    getting
    > you the best possible prints."

    Very right you are, Jimmy!
    Qimage = Cue image = a printing facility which allows you to cue all images
    for subsequent printing.
    If you want to print three "4 x 6" on one page "8 x 11" or two "5 x 7" on
    one page, this is the program to do it.
    Personally I use Qimage as well as Indesign CS2 which can do the same.
    However, Qimage comes more cheaply.
    Not mentioned above is the fact that Qimage has a very good printing engine.
    Take care,
    Marcel
    Celcius, Aug 6, 2006
  17. VK Guest

    Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    > And an improved method was recently added, 'Hybrid interpolation'. It
    > generates even more detailed interpolations while, just like Pyramid
    > interpolation, maintaining the integrity of edges (without GF's
    > exaggeration).

    Thanks for the heads-up, Bart - I just upgraded my QImage and got the
    Hybrid interpolation.
    Will give it a test run soon.

    Regards,
    Vandit
    VK, Aug 6, 2006
  18. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    No it isn't a RAW converter but it should be able to load them for printing.
    If they want photographers to use it they need this. They just took the
    chicken way out and expect you to convert everything to bitmap first.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 6, 2006
  19. On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:43:29 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Hebee Jeebes"
    <> wrote:

    >No it isn't a RAW converter but it should be able to load them for printing.
    >If they want photographers to use it they need this. They just took the
    >chicken way out and expect you to convert everything to bitmap first.

    This makes absolutely no sense at all. Who shoots raw and makes no
    adjustments?
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Aug 6, 2006
  20. John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:43:44 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to
    E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:43:29 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Hebee Jeebes"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>No it isn't a RAW converter but it should be able to load them for printing.
    >>If they want photographers to use it they need this. They just took the
    >>chicken way out and expect you to convert everything to bitmap first.

    >This makes absolutely no sense at all. Who shoots raw and makes no
    >adjustments?

    You're not wrong Ed. In another place I had an equally
    senseless discussion with somebody complaining that Sikypix
    (a raw converter) was useless because it doesn't allow the
    use of custom printer profiles...

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Aug 6, 2006