    If you had 3MP images and wanted to print them to 11x14 or 16x20, what DPI
    would you choose in Qimage?

    -brian
    Brian Huether, Nov 17, 2003

  2. "Brian Huether" <> wrote in message
    news:bpah4v$2b7$06$-online.com...
    > I have some 3MP images. I want to print them to 11x14 or 16x20. If I

    enlarge
    > these images in Qimage and specify 300DPI, then there is quite a bit of
    > enlarging going on. (i.e. the 3MP enlarged for 16x20, 300DPI is suddenly
    > 20MB...). Is this degree of interpolation going to have artifacts that
    > defeat the whole purpose of enlarging to begin with? I am wondering at

    which
    > point does enlarging actually hurt the end result (i.e. the large prints).
    > If you had 3MP images and wanted to print them to 11x14 or 16x20, what DPI
    > would you choose in Qimage?

    You don't choose DPI.

    Specify the output size you want, set up the printer parameters (Paper
    quality used) in the printer driver, and Qimage will automagically figure it
    out.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Brian Huether

    Peter Guest

    With a 3MP image, you would be pushing it beyond 8x10.
    If I were to print a 3 MP image larger then 8x10, then I would take it to a
    professional printer where they use a good interpolation software and get it
    printed on a quality large format printer. If you have a large format
    printer, then use a good program like Genuine Fractals or Stair
    Interpolation to enlarge your image before printing.

    Peter, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Brian Huether

    Martin Reed Guest

    Hmmm. You might well find that QImage matches (or even exceeds) the
    quality of many other techniques. From my own experience, it really is
    that good in the recent releases.

    I would agree that *ideally* one would not wish to go above 8x10 (approx
    200dpi). However, I've had good results with QImage when going down to
    150dpi or even a little lower (I needed to crop a pic rather heavily).
    Also, remember that a large print is usually viewed at a sensible
    distance. You'd be horrified at the artefacts if you got close up to a
    billboard :)

    I assume you are printing directly to your printer, not trying to save
    the output file. In which case don't worry about the apparent file size,
    QImage feeds it to the printer for you.

    In article <ZR8ub.402$>,
    Peter <> writes
    >With a 3MP image, you would be pushing it beyond 8x10.
    >If I were to print a 3 MP image larger then 8x10, then I would take it to a
    >professional printer where they use a good interpolation software and get it
    >printed on a quality large format printer. If you have a large format
    >printer, then use a good program like Genuine Fractals or Stair
    >Interpolation to enlarge your image before printing.
    >

    >"Brian Huether" <> wrote in message
    >> I have some 3MP images. I want to print them to 11x14 or 16x20. If I

    >enlarge
    >> these images in Qimage and specify 300DPI, then there is quite a bit of
    >> enlarging going on. (i.e. the 3MP enlarged for 16x20, 300DPI is suddenly
    >> 20MB...). Is this degree of interpolation going to have artifacts that
    >> defeat the whole purpose of enlarging to begin with? I am wondering at

    >which
    >> point does enlarging actually hurt the end result (i.e. the large prints).
    >> If you had 3MP images and wanted to print them to 11x14 or 16x20, what DPI
    >> would you choose in Qimage?
    >>
    >> -brian

    Martin Reed <>
    Martin Reed, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Brian Huether

    Mark B. Guest

    "Brian Huether" <> wrote in message
    > I have some 3MP images. I want to print them to 11x14 or 16x20. If I

    enlarge
    > these images in Qimage and specify 300DPI, then there is quite a bit of
    > enlarging going on. (i.e. the 3MP enlarged for 16x20, 300DPI is suddenly
    > 20MB...). Is this degree of interpolation going to have artifacts that
    > defeat the whole purpose of enlarging to begin with? I am wondering at

    which
    > point does enlarging actually hurt the end result (i.e. the large prints).
    > If you had 3MP images and wanted to print them to 11x14 or 16x20, what DPI
    > would you choose in Qimage?
    >
    > -brian

    You're using Qimage all wrong. Don't worry about ppi, dpi, etc. Just
    specifiy the size you're printing to, set sharpening (if any) and let Qimage
    do the rest. Make a large print first and THEN decide if 3mp is enough for
    your needs.

    Mark
    Mark B., Nov 18, 2003
  6. I think you are all assuming that I am printing from Qimage. I should have
    been clearer. I am actually just using its interpolation since I hear it is
    as good as anything else out there. What I am doing is specifying the
    printed size (11x14, etc), and so what I then do is choose a DPI. It makes
    sense to do it that way. I am then going to send the files to an online
    service (ofoto, photoaccess, etc). So I was wondering what DPI I can get
    away with. I am starting to think that 150-200 will be good enough.

    thanks,

    brian

    Brian Huether, Nov 18, 2003