    qedwipes.dll file...i've used mcafee and avg 7..does anyone know why this
    is? I'm running winxp sp2...any help is appreciated, thank you!

    m.

    theMIKEYshow, Mar 10, 2005

  2. From: "theMIKEYshow" <>

    | Hello, everytime I run any antivirus scan it always stalls and freezes on a
    | qedwipes.dll file...i've used mcafee and avg 7..does anyone know why this
    | is? I'm running winxp sp2...any help is appreciated, thank you!
    |
    | m.

    Please submit "qedwipes.dll" to Virus Total --
    http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
    The submission will then be tested against several different AV vendor's scanners.

    Another way to submit is to send the suspect file to the following email address
    scan<at>virustotal.com
    { replace <at> with @ } with only the word SCAN as the subject.

    Please post back the EXACT results.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 10, 2005

  3. theMIKEYshow

    theMIKEYshow Guest

    I tried both sending it like you said, and uploading via an option on that
    web site and either way it was unsuccessful...uploading it through the web
    site it says "can't upload greater that 2MB" or something, and through email
    an "error has occured". Anything involving this file slows and causes
    errors somehow...it I don't touch it, everythings fine. I think I'll just
    delete the little bastard.

    m.

    theMIKEYshow, Mar 10, 2005
  4. theMIKEYshow

    winged Guest

    theMIKEYshow wrote:
    > I tried both sending it like you said, and uploading via an option on that
    > web site and either way it was unsuccessful...uploading it through the web
    > site it says "can't upload greater that 2MB" or something, and through email
    > an "error has occured". Anything involving this file slows and causes
    > errors somehow...it I don't touch it, everythings fine. I think I'll just
    > delete the little bastard.
    >
    > m.

    >>From: "theMIKEYshow" <>
    >>
    >>| Hello, everytime I run any antivirus scan it always stalls and freezes
    >>on a
    >>| qedwipes.dll file...i've used mcafee and avg 7..does anyone know why
    >>this
    >>| is? I'm running winxp sp2...any help is appreciated, thank you!
    >>|
    >>| m.
    >>|

    >>Please submit "qedwipes.dll" to Virus Total --
    >>http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
    >>The submission will then be tested against several different AV vendor's
    >>scanners.
    >>
    >>Another way to submit is to send the suspect file to the following email
    >>address
    >>scan<at>virustotal.com
    >>{ replace <at> with @ } with only the word SCAN as the subject.
    >>
    >>Please post back the EXACT results.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Dave

    The file is used by directX Have you run a chkdsk scan? (command window
    then type chkdsk)

    Winged

    winged, Mar 11, 2005
  5. From: "winged" <>

    | The file is used by directX Have you run a chkdsk scan? (command window
    | then type chkdsk)
    |
    | Winged

    A complete set of instructions follows...

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)

    start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

    Open a Command Prompt.

    In the Command Prompt type the following...

    CHKDSK C: /F

    If it replies..
    "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
    (Y/N)"

    Choose - Y

    type; EXIT

    Reboot the PC.

    A full Check Disk will want to be performed, allow it.

    When it reboots, perform a defragmentation of the hard disk.

    You can get to the Defragmenting program easily by executing; dfrg.msc

    Start --> run ->
    type; dfrg.msc

    Once the system is defraged, the AV scans should be re-attempted.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 11, 2005
  6. theMIKEYshow

    theMIKEYshow Guest

    I appreciate all of your help...I did what you guys recommended, but
    unfortunately I'm having the same problems...but I'm noticing a pattern: the
    virusscan keeps stalling on those dll's that start with Q....I deleted
    qedwipes.dll and quartz.dll and stalls on the next file after those. I'm
    thinking this has to do with firefox....I installed it, then uninstalled it
    a few weeks later...if those files have to do with directX then I'm thinking
    firefox messed it all up...I have another computer I think I'll take that
    directory from and replace it on mine...I'm also having problems with system
    restore...its not keeping any restore dates...its on, and to the maximum
    storage setting..is there a virus that can be linked to any of this? or
    just dumb luck errors?

    theMIKEYshow, Mar 11, 2005
  7. From: "theMIKEYshow" <>

    | I appreciate all of your help...I did what you guys recommended, but
    | unfortunately I'm having the same problems...but I'm noticing a pattern: the
    | virusscan keeps stalling on those dll's that start with Q....I deleted
    | qedwipes.dll and quartz.dll and stalls on the next file after those. I'm
    | thinking this has to do with firefox....I installed it, then uninstalled it
    | a few weeks later...if those files have to do with directX then I'm thinking
    | firefox messed it all up...I have another computer I think I'll take that
    | directory from and replace it on mine...I'm also having problems with system
    | restore...its not keeping any restore dates...its on, and to the maximum
    | storage setting..is there a virus that can be linked to any of this? or
    | just dumb luck errors?
    | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    The FireFox idea is a Red Herring.

    Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
    respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
    not..

    Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

    Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
    http://support.wdc.com/download/

    Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

    Seagate - SeaTools
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

    Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
    http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

    Samsung - Disk manager
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 11, 2005
  8. theMIKEYshow wrote:

    > I appreciate all of your help...I did what you guys recommended, but
    > unfortunately I'm having the same problems...but I'm noticing a pattern: the
    > virusscan keeps stalling on those dll's that start with Q....I deleted
    > qedwipes.dll and quartz.dll and stalls on the next file after those. I'm
    > thinking this has to do with firefox....I installed it, then uninstalled it
    > a few weeks later...if those files have to do with directX then I'm thinking

    You should not delete files on your HD if you're not sure wthat they do.

    http://www.filename.info/f/qedwipes.dll.html
    http://www.filename.info/f/quartz.dll.html

    Those are indeed DirectX related files, although I don have the 1st one
    on Windows 2000 (maybe it's because I'm still using MediaPlayer 6.4 or
    just Win2k)
    I know the 2nd files contains icons and codecs for MediaPlayer.

    Also, just run dxdiag, this is a diagnostic tool for DirectX, and list
    all the files it uses, so U can check.

    > firefox messed it all up...I have another computer I think I'll take that

    Unlikely that Firefox would do that, there must have been something
    going on already

    > directory from and replace it on mine...I'm also having problems with system

    That's not a good idea...

    > restore...its not keeping any restore dates...its on, and to the maximum
    > storage setting..is there a virus that can be linked to any of this? or
    > just dumb luck errors?

    System restore sucks if you ask me, it makes your PC slower and uses
    lots of space, and if there is something seriously wrong with yr machine
    one time, it still wont get it back to normal in most cases, so I'd
    recommand disabeling it.
    It can also back-up viruses during a the creation of a restore point, so...

    Wimmy

    Wim Cossement, Mar 11, 2005