QDI Kudoz 7V2

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hi all.

    Before listing my pc specs let me give you a run down on the probably i am
    having.

    Getting this M/Board to boot is a absolute nightmare, when it boots it is
    all "A" ok. If i switch the power of at the mains for computer after being
    "shutdown" it fails to reboot the following morning or later in day when i
    turn it back on. All i get is a single long beep instead of a quick beep.
    The only way i have found to get it to start is to keep hitting the keys as
    it starts (before the bios beep). I can usally tell if i am going to get a
    long or a short beep as the monitor light will go green as it comes out off
    standby instead of staying amber. no green = no boot=long beep. green
    light on monitor=will boot=short beep.

    Generally from within windows xp if i click restart it will reboot just fine
    it appears to only be a issue when power is switched off all together to the
    pc.

    Ive not come across this before, ive checked the BIOS settings but all looks
    ok unless i have mixed something. Ive gone thorugh the obvious to the not
    so obvious to taking the M/Board out of the casing and replacing M/board in
    case again in case some thing stupid like a bad earth to the case frame etc.

    Running 512DDR PC2100 (1 Stick), Athlon 1.33GHZ, GeoForce MX 440 64MB AGP
    X4, KUDOZ 7V2 with latest BIOS,
    Below is information taken System Info and also listed is Conflicts/Sharing.

    I hope someone has the time and inclination to ponder this one for me, it
    could also be as simple as a dodgy M/Board.

    Taken From System Information :-

    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name XPCOMPUTER
    System Manufacturer QDIQDI
    System Model AWRDACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1333 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 12/08/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    User Name XPCOMPUTER\Administrator
    Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 316.02 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.33 GB
    Page File Space 1.22 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

    Conflicft/Sharing

    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

    IRQ 5 D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A)
    IRQ 5 Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

    IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
    IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

    Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

    Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

    Any more info that you might think pertinant let me know and i shall get it
    to you.

    Thank you for any input/advice etc.

    Richard

    ---
    Richard, Feb 22, 2004

  2. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Before listing my pc specs let me give you a run down on the probably i am
    > having.
    >
    > Getting this M/Board to boot is a absolute nightmare, when it boots it is
    > all "A" ok. If i switch the power of at the mains for computer after

    being
    > "shutdown" it fails to reboot the following morning or later in day when i
    > turn it back on. All i get is a single long beep instead of a quick beep.

    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/
    1 Long Beep: Memory problem

    Explanation: There is a failure of some sort related to the system memory.

    Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a failure of some sort;
    this is usually just a physical problem such as an incorrectly inserted
    module, but may also mean a bad memory chip in a module. It is possible that
    there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

    Check that the ram is seated correctly.

    May be worth removing it then putting it back in.

    HTH

    Gaz
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 22, 2004

  3. Richard

    ICee Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Before listing my pc specs let me give you a run down on the probably
    > i am having.
    >
    > Getting this M/Board to boot is a absolute nightmare, when it boots
    > it is all "A" ok. If i switch the power of at the mains for computer
    > after being "shutdown" it fails to reboot the following morning or
    > later in day when i turn it back on. All i get is a single long beep
    > instead of a quick beep. The only way i have found to get it to start
    > is to keep hitting the keys as it starts (before the bios beep). I
    > can usally tell if i am going to get a long or a short beep as the
    > monitor light will go green as it comes out off standby instead of
    > staying amber. no green = no boot=long beep. green light on
    > monitor=will boot=short beep.

    <snip>

    It couuld be a memory or video card problem. Reseat the memory and the
    video card. Move the memory to another slot. It could also be a power
    supply problem, since it happens only after it's been off for awhile.
    Try running memtest86 www.memtest86 to check the memory.
    Award BIOS beep codes here:
    http://www.efacorp.com/support/notes/980216.htm
    ICee, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    > Richard wrote:
    > > Hi all.
    > >
    > > Getting this M/Board to boot is a absolute nightmare, when it boots
    > > it is all "A" ok. If i switch the power of at the mains for computer
    > > after being "shutdown" it fails to reboot the following morning or
    > > later in day when i turn it back on. All i get is a single long beep
    > > instead of a quick beep. The only way i have found to get it to start
    > > is to keep hitting the keys as it starts (before the bios beep). I
    > > can usally tell if i am going to get a long or a short beep as the
    > > monitor light will go green as it comes out off standby instead of
    > > staying amber. no green = no boot=long beep. green light on
    > > monitor=will boot=short beep.
    > >

    > <snip>

    > ICee <> Wrote
    > It couuld be a memory or video card problem. Reseat the memory and the
    > video card. Move the memory to another slot

    Thank you both for the replies.
    I have tried the memory in all 3 Banks to no avail.
    Reseating the Video Card was in vain but i did reboot without the video card
    in and i still got the same beeps.

    > It could also be a power
    > supply problem, since it happens only after it's been off for awhile.
    > Try running memtest86 www.memtest86 to check the memory.

    After leaving Memtest86+ running for over 90 minutes i decided that this was
    a job that needs running over night. will be doing that tonight BST zone.
    But after all the tests that did run there was no errors. Using the
    Memtest86+ Version Not really sure what it all means but i am reading up on
    it etc to try and get a better understanding of the program and what it all
    means.

    Cheers

    Richy

    ---
    Richard, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Re: QDI Kudoz 7V2 Update

    Hi just another point that might be relevant.

    when i get into the BIOS i noticed that my Master and Slave drives on IDE 1
    had been reset and configured, The Master is Maxtor 40GB with the slave on
    IDE 1 being a Seagate 19GB. But i noticed that only the seagate drive was
    being picked up correctly and the Maxtor drive was being picked up as a
    160GB.

    I have left all the BIOS settings to Auto Detect. kept rebooting into BIOS
    untill it eventually picked it up ok, this is also when it stopped giving me
    them error beeps
    and booted fine into windows. Now this has thrown me as i am now looking at
    "is this a problem elsewhere and not related to the memory or video card".

    Cheers

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 24, 2004