Q: What is the largest harddrive I can get for my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by topraka@gmail.com, Aug 26, 2009.

  1. Guest

    I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
    current harddrive of 120 GBs.

    It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.

    She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
    harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?

    Thanks
     
    , Aug 26, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bob Harris Guest

    In article
    <
    >,

    "" <> wrote:

    > I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
    > current harddrive of 120 GBs.
    >
    > It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.
    >
    > She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
    > harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?
    >
    > Thanks


    I recently put a 2.5" 7200rpm 500GB Seagate SATA drive into my
    MacBook (late 2006 manufacture).

    Bob Harris
     
    Bob Harris, Aug 27, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. David Empson Guest

    Tim Lance <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:55:00 -0500, wrote
    > (in article
    > <>):
    >
    > > I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
    > > current harddrive of 120 GBs.
    > >
    > > It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.
    > >
    > > She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
    > > harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?

    >
    > I've put some WesternDigital 320 B drives into both MBs and MBPs. The Hitachi
    > 500 B is too thick. I know of no 1 TB laptop drives, not that I've been
    > paying much attention.


    Someone recently announced a 1 TB 2.5" drive (Western Digital, I think),
    but it is 12 mm thick, too thick to fit in a MacBook Pro.

    The highest capacity/speed drive currently available which fits in a
    MacBook Pro (maximum thickness 9 mm) is 500 GB and 7200 rpm. Not sure
    which brands are thin enough, but there is at least one Seagate model.

    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, Aug 27, 2009
    #3
  4. ToprakA Guest

    On Aug 26, 10:08 pm, (David Empson) wrote:
    > Tim Lance <> wrote:
    > > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:55:00 -0500, wrote
    > > (in article
    > > <>):

    >
    > > > I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro  intel core2duo with a
    > > > current harddrive of 120 GBs.

    >
    > > > It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.

    >
    > > > She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
    > > > harddrive this computer can handle?  Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?

    >
    > > I've put some WesternDigital 320 B drives into both MBs and MBPs. The Hitachi
    > > 500 B is too thick. I know of no 1 TB laptop drives, not that I've been
    > > paying much attention.

    >
    > Someone recently announced a 1 TB 2.5" drive (Western Digital, I think),
    > but it is 12 mm thick, too thick to fit in a MacBook Pro.
    >
    > The highest capacity/speed drive currently available which fits in a
    > MacBook Pro (maximum thickness 9 mm) is 500 GB and 7200 rpm. Not sure
    > which brands are thin enough, but there is at least one Seagate model.
    >
    > --
    > David Empson
    >


    So, other than size limitations, there is no limitatio from the O/S
    end?

    Thanks
     
    ToprakA, Aug 27, 2009
    #4
  5. nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    ToprakA <> wrote:

    > So, other than size limitations, there is no limitatio from the O/S
    > end?


    none. the only limitation is that it must have a sata interface and be
    9.5 mm thick so that it physically fits inside the laptop. as far as
    the operating system is concerned, the capacity limit is *far* bigger
    than any drive you'll see any time soon.
     
    nospam, Aug 27, 2009
    #5
  6. On 27/08/09 12:00 AM, Bob Harris wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    >> ,

    > ""<> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a friend who has a 15" Macbook pro intel core2duo with a
    >> current harddrive of 120 GBs.
    >>
    >> It has 2 G's of memory and is running 10.5.8.
    >>
    >> She is planning to change the harddrive. What is the largest capacity
    >> harddrive this computer can handle? Can it handle a 1TB harddrive?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    > I recently put a 2.5" 7200rpm 500GB Seagate SATA drive into my
    > MacBook (late 2006 manufacture).
    >
    > Bob Harris


    I put a Fujitsu 500 gigger in my 13" Macbook Pro
     
    Timothy Mathews, Aug 28, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brian Evans
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,051
    Jim Polaski
    Jul 11, 2003
  2. Somebody

    Worlds Largest Photo and Worlds Largest Camera...

    Somebody, Aug 9, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    653
    John Turco
    Aug 16, 2007
  3. manazar
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    593
    joevan
    Feb 27, 2008
  4. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,049
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  5. Kompu Kid
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,493
    Kompu Kid
    Oct 17, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page