Q) Weird Sound Problem

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by linux4me2u@yahoo.ca, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Guest

    He everyone:

    I have a strange sound problem.

    First I can play a number of dvds and hear the sounds on every part of
    the dvd.

    There is one dvd that when I play the movie there is no sound.
    If I play the special features, and commentary, I have sound.
    Now the strange part is if I play the audio commentary that is voiced
    over parts various scenes I hear the film critic and the movie music
    and dialog when film critic is not talking. The movie in question is
    Casablanca (the special 2disk edition 2003)

    I can hear everything on the first disk except the movie, and hear
    everything on the 2nd disk. I do not know what to consider, except is
    the "reproduction" of the movie itself is different or flawed ?

    Has anyone this experience with Casablanca or some other dvd?
    What can I do? Is it possible I got a "dud" when the movie was
    "mastered" to the dvd?
    One thing I noticed that may or may not be important is that
    the dvd was shrinked wrapped, but inside on the outside
    of the case was a "dvd" labeled taped on the top of the
    case like a security seal. Does this mean anything?

    All of my other new dvds do not have anything but the shrink
    wrap on the outside of the case

    Thanks

    J S

    // signature ------------------------------------
    Take the xxx out of my email address.

    "Some will believe and rightly so, that there are other
    forms of riches more desireable than money. Yes, there
    are riches which can not be measured in terms of
    dollars, but there are millions of people who will
    say, 'Give me all the money I need, and I will find
    everything else I want.' "
    Napoleon Hill
    // ---------------------------------------------------

    , Feb 18, 2004

  2. My guess would be that the default soundtrack for the main feature is in a
    format your player cannot play, maybe DTS or something like that. See if you
    can't navigate to an audio choices menu and choose a track your palyer can
    cope with.

    Colon Terminus, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:28:57 GMT, wrote:

    Actually, that may not be the problem,
    my dvd player is brand new, the manual says it
    can play many types of different formats.

    It may be some setting, that need changing just for the one disk. All
    my other dvds play fine, just the movie on disk one plays with no
    sound.

    Thanks

    J S
    >He everyone:
    >
    >I have a strange sound problem.
    >
    >First I can play a number of dvds and hear the sounds on every part of
    >the dvd.
    >
    >There is one dvd that when I play the movie there is no sound.
    >If I play the special features, and commentary, I have sound.
    >Now the strange part is if I play the audio commentary that is voiced
    >over parts various scenes I hear the film critic and the movie music
    >and dialog when film critic is not talking. The movie in question is
    >Casablanca (the special 2disk edition 2003)
    >
    >I can hear everything on the first disk except the movie, and hear
    >everything on the 2nd disk. I do not know what to consider, except is
    >the "reproduction" of the movie itself is different or flawed ?
    >
    >Has anyone this experience with Casablanca or some other dvd?
    >What can I do? Is it possible I got a "dud" when the movie was
    >"mastered" to the dvd?
    >One thing I noticed that may or may not be important is that
    >the dvd was shrinked wrapped, but inside on the outside
    >of the case was a "dvd" labeled taped on the top of the
    >case like a security seal. Does this mean anything?
    >
    >All of my other new dvds do not have anything but the shrink
    >wrap on the outside of the case
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >J S
    >
    >// signature ------------------------------------
    >Take the xxx out of my email address.
    >
    >"Some will believe and rightly so, that there are other
    >forms of riches more desireable than money. Yes, there
    >are riches which can not be measured in terms of
    >dollars, but there are millions of people who will
    >say, 'Give me all the money I need, and I will find
    >everything else I want.' "
    >Napoleon Hill

    , Feb 19, 2004