    VI", or was I the only one that got (as we say up here) "hosed"?

    Con
    Ontario, Canada
    Con, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Re: "Star Trek VI" DVD insert... or not

    From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Con
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one
    is Pink?"
    > I know the odd insert booklet or chapter list does goes missing from
    > the odd DVD (by accident), but this seems like something they
    > (Paramount) just might plan (and I have heard that other recent
    > releases HAVE come out 'sans' booklet). Thus I was just wondering if
    > anybody else out there has experienced this phenomenon with "Star Trek
    > VI", or was I the only one that got (as we say up here) "hosed"?

    I just picked mine up from Suncoast for $14.99 and it came with
    no booklet in it. Are companies like Paramount getting so cheap that
    they feel that its worth not including a freaking one page sheet with it
    listing the chapters and what discs have what extras? I guess so.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    A reminder to the world....
    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Con

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Con" <> wrote in message
    > I just got the new double-disc set for "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered
    > Country" at Future Shop (Canada's version of Best Buy) earlier today
    > for an astonishing $13.99 Canadian (plus taxes).

    What's that, about $5.00 US?
    :eek:)

    It seems inserts are no longer a given in new DVD releases.
    Jay Stewart, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Con

    Con Guest

    Re: "Star Trek VI" DVD insert... or not

    > I just picked mine up from Suncoast for $14.99 and it came with
    > no booklet in it. Are companies like Paramount getting so cheap that
    > they feel that its worth not including a freaking one page sheet

    with it
    > listing the chapters and what discs have what extras? I guess so.

    Well, see, this is exactly as I had suspected. No booklet (unlike the
    previous releases in the 'Trek' movie series); not even so much as a
    lousy single-sheet chapter listing (which, come to think of it, is a
    real annoyance with Trek VI, as they could have used such a list to
    show where those two revised scenes are, in case one doesn't know for
    sure). Oh well! Perhaps some anal-compulsive Trekker will cobble
    together a nice one-sheet chapter list for us both. If anybody does
    post such a thing, please be sure to let me know... thanks!

    Con
    Con, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Con

    Jeff Pearson Guest

    "Con" <> wrote in

    > I just got the new double-disc set for "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered
    > Country" at Future Shop (Canada's version of Best Buy) earlier today
    > for an astonishing $13.99 Canadian (plus taxes). I was wondering on
    > the way home, "how can Paramount possibly afford to price these sets
    > so cheaply?" Then, once I got all three (grrrrr!) of their infernal
    > security stickers off, I found out how they do it. No insert sheet.
    > Just the two DVDs inside the keepcase. Grrrr (again!).
    >
    > I know the odd insert booklet or chapter list does goes missing from
    > the odd DVD (by accident), but this seems like something they
    > (Paramount) just might plan (and I have heard that other recent
    > releases HAVE come out 'sans' booklet). Thus I was just wondering if
    > anybody else out there has experienced this phenomenon with "Star Trek
    > VI", or was I the only one that got (as we say up here) "hosed"?
    >
    > Con
    > Ontario, Canada

    Con,

    I just posted to alt.tv.star-trek.tos wondering if maybe my copy was
    unusual for lacking an insert sheet. Seems my question's been answered.

    Geez, how cheap can Paramount be?

    Oh well. The DVD looks and sounds great, and ultimately that's all that
    really matters. Still, it's annoying to see yet another example of the
    studio's ongoing disrespect for the Star Trek audience (which over the
    years has traded well over a billion dollars for Trek-related goods).

    And yes, the security stickers are beyond ridiculous. They warrant all
    the "Grrrrs" you can growl.
    Jeff Pearson, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Con

    Con Guest

    Jeff:

    > I just posted to alt.tv.star-trek.tos wondering if maybe my copy was
    > unusual for lacking an insert sheet. Seems my question's been

    answered.
    > Geez, how cheap can Paramount be?

    Well, I had some suspicions immediately upon seeing how durn low the
    price was on this otherwise deluxe double-disc set ($15 Canadian...
    that's unheard-of!), so I was naturally wondering what Paramount did
    to 'cut back' on their expenses... I don't think they realize just how
    much we enjoy that little sheet of paper that we find inside most
    DVDs.

    Ya know, it's kind of like getting a CD with no lyric booklet, just a
    front cover and a white, blank backside (grrr, I just HATE those!). I
    now suppose that all of the future 'Trek' movie DVDs (the ones with
    the Next Gen crew) will also be bereft of insert sheets and/or printed
    chapter listings. Grrrr, again!

    Con
    Con, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Con

    Paul C. Guest

    "Con" <> wrote in news:101ed44bst7uk06
    @corp.supernews.com:
    > to 'cut back' on their expenses... I don't think they realize just

    how
    > much we enjoy that little sheet of paper that we find inside most
    > DVDs.

    Personally I never look at them. Maybe that's why, they assume a lot
    of people don't bother with them so it's an fairly inoffensive place
    to cut costs. I'd rather pay $13.99 for a DVD with no insert than
    pay $18.99 for one with an insert myself. (as long as that's the
    only corner they cut)
    Paul C., Jan 28, 2004
  8. > Personally I never look at them. Maybe that's why, they assume a lot
    > of people don't bother with them so it's an fairly inoffensive place
    > to cut costs. I'd rather pay $13.99 for a DVD with no insert than
    > pay $18.99 for one with an insert myself. (as long as that's the
    > only corner they cut)

    I'm inclined to agree. It's a nice touch, but it doesn't really bother me
    if it's missing... especially if the price is reduced by that much.
    Personally, when my DVDs have an insert, I flip it over and keep the
    chapter list facing up. That's the only real use I have for them.
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jan 28, 2004
  9. Con

    Rutgar Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:53:05 -0500, "Con"
    <> wrote:

    >I just got the new double-disc set for "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered
    >Country" at Future Shop (Canada's version of Best Buy) earlier today
    >for an astonishing $13.99 Canadian (plus taxes). I was wondering on
    >the way home, "how can Paramount possibly afford to price these sets
    >so cheaply?" Then, once I got all three (grrrrr!) of their infernal
    >security stickers off, I found out how they do it. No insert sheet.
    >Just the two DVDs inside the keepcase. Grrrr (again!).
    >
    >I know the odd insert booklet or chapter list does goes missing from
    >the odd DVD (by accident), but this seems like something they
    >(Paramount) just might plan (and I have heard that other recent
    >releases HAVE come out 'sans' booklet). Thus I was just wondering if
    >anybody else out there has experienced this phenomenon with "Star Trek
    >VI", or was I the only one that got (as we say up here) "hosed"?
    >
    >Con
    >Ontario, Canada

    GEEZ! What is it with you guys and Inserts? I see people all the
    time on this group posting because some DVD they bought, didn't have
    an Insert. I never notice because, I DON'T LOOK AT THE FRIGGEN
    INSERTS! I watch the movies on the DVD's. As far as I'm
    concerned, if the price of the DVD, cost me a little less because they
    omit a useless insert, then great!

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >>Personally I never look at them. Maybe that's why, they assume a lot
    >>of people don't bother with them so it's an fairly inoffensive place
    >>to cut costs. I'd rather pay $13.99 for a DVD with no insert than
    >>pay $18.99 for one with an insert myself. (as long as that's the
    >>only corner they cut)

    > I'm inclined to agree. It's a nice touch, but it doesn't really bother me
    > if it's missing... especially if the price is reduced by that much.
    > Personally, when my DVDs have an insert, I flip it over and keep the
    > chapter list facing up. That's the only real use I have for them.

    I like when they include an interesting essay with the insert, like
    Criterion always does, even for bare-bones releases. I thought the T2
    Extreme Edition had a great insert, which explained all the technical
    details of the transfer, as well as the Red Dwarf sets, which are
    trivia-packed.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 28, 2004
  11. Re: "Star Trek VI" DVD insert... or not

    And why is the case white when all the others are black??

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, Jan 28, 2004
  12. Con

    Writer R5 Guest

    I took the old insert from LBX Undiscovered Country DVD and plaved it in the
    new one since the chapter stops and headings are the same, but I having the
    insert, even if it is just an advertisement, is better than one at all. Somehow
    it cheapens the quality of the release.

    I realize this is superficial on my part, but that is how I feel. Did anyone
    notice the upside down image of the Enterprise-B from Generations on disc two.
    If looks like the Excelsior (spelling?), but it is in that doc where you can
    see the Earth behind the ship instead of the station. That is how I figured it
    was from Generations.

    Mark
    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    Writer R5, Jan 28, 2004
  13. Con

    Steve K. Guest

    Rutgar wrote:
    > GEEZ! What is it with you guys and Inserts? I see people all the
    > time on this group posting because some DVD they bought, didn't have
    > an Insert. I never notice because, I DON'T LOOK AT THE FRIGGEN
    > INSERTS! I watch the movies on the DVD's. As far as I'm
    > concerned, if the price of the DVD, cost me a little less because they
    > omit a useless insert, then great!
    >
    > - Rutgar

    Of course, the easiest way to please everyone is so simple, the studios
    will never do it.

    Just put an insert up on the net make it available for download.

    That way, there's no additional cost involved. The DVD's can be sold
    just as cheap. Those fams that don't care for the insert won't bother.
    Those fans that do care about the insert can download it and print it.

    Perfectly viable use of the internet to give fans what they want while
    keeping costs down. Problem solved.

    But they'll never do it. It's too easy.

    Steve
    Steve K., Jan 28, 2004
  14. Con

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Paul C. wrote:
    > "Con" <> wrote in news:101ed44bst7uk06
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >
    >>to 'cut back' on their expenses... I don't think they realize just

    > how
    >
    >>much we enjoy that little sheet of paper that we find inside most
    >>DVDs.

    > Personally I never look at them. Maybe that's why, they assume a lot
    > of people don't bother with them so it's an fairly inoffensive place
    > to cut costs. I'd rather pay $13.99 for a DVD with no insert than
    > pay $18.99 for one with an insert myself. (as long as that's the
    > only corner they cut)

    FIVE DOLLARS? How about 13.99 vs 14.49 or even 14.99?

    dick
    --let's get reasonable here
    Dick Sidbury, Jan 28, 2004
  15. Con

    Paul C. Guest

    Dick Sidbury <> wrote in news:bv9bof$pkqpq
    $-berlin.de:

    > FIVE DOLLARS? How about 13.99 vs 14.49 or even 14.99?
    >
    > dick
    > --let's get reasonable here

    Personally I'd pay $0 more for a basically useless piece of paper.
    It's just not a big deal.
    Paul C., Jan 28, 2004
  16. Con

    Chuck Guest

    Wow!

    I am glad to hear that I am not the only one to have had no insert. I
    took mine back to best buy, and as they had no more copies, they
    actually refunded me the price.

    Also, the second disc looked as if the image had been stenciled upside
    down. I think it was supposed to be Excelsior in what looked like some
    metal structure...Hey wait a minute. Look at that sensor area (or
    whatever that front blue area is called). See how the hull sorta
    sweeps out a little: Is this the Enterprise B from Generations?

    Chuck

    Chuck, Jan 29, 2004
  17. Con

    Writer R5 Guest

    >Is this the Enterprise B from Generations?

    Yes.
    Writer R5, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Con

    Joe Pendyck Guest

    It is a bit jarring to open the keepcase and find no insert, but no
    big deal really. My local Best Buy still has the original single disc
    release priced at $24.99. So I'm quite happy to get this two disc
    edition for $14.99, insert or no.

    Joe Pendyck, Jan 30, 2004
  19. Con

    Bruce Tomlin Guest

    Re: "Star Trek VI" DVD insert... or not

    In article <>,
    "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little" <> wrote:

    > I just picked mine up from Suncoast for $14.99 and it came with
    > no booklet in it. Are companies like Paramount getting so cheap that
    > they feel that its worth not including a freaking one page sheet with it
    > listing the chapters and what discs have what extras? I guess so.

    This is the same Paramount that was too cheap to put a CD audio TOC on
    any of their laserdiscs with digital audio? Too cheap to put chapter
    stops on the Star Trek Animated laserdiscs, with two episodes to a side,
    so you had to key in a time code and search around a bit to watch just
    the second episode? It doesn't surprise me at all.
    Bruce Tomlin, Jan 31, 2004
  20. Con

    Capn Queeg Guest

    Re: "Star Trek VI" DVD insert... or not

    Yup, according to www.thedigitalbits.com Paramount has joined the
    bandwagon and has eliminated inserts with their dvds.

    Capn Queeg, Feb 1, 2004