Q: Redundant Internet with two routers ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Martin Bilgrav, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Hi NG,

    I know that this issue, has been open before, and I am 100% clear about RIPE
    c-net IP range and private AS number for BGP.
    I have been assigned this allready.
    My question is about doing this with two router, each holding a ISP internet
    link.

    Presently the same ISP is providing the two links, but in future one link
    may come from another ISP.

    Senario:
    I have two locations, which have layer-2 connectivity, via two C6500 and
    fibers. So I trunk between the two sites, giving me VLANs on both sites.
    This is running allready.

    Later on I will have:
    One router will be installed on each site. (one ISP link goes into each
    router on the sites)
    A redundant PIX setup will be installed with ethernetbased failover, aswell
    as a redundant VPN3030 running VRRP.
    One VPN on each sites. VPN is behind the PIX.
    I have VLANs for all PIX interfaces on each site.

    The big Q is then, what is the optimal setup when it comes to both redundacy
    AND using loadsharing between the two ISP links ?
    Both inbound and outbound connectivity ?

    I plan at doing BGP upstream with both routers, for inbound redundancy, but
    how about the outbound loadsharing ?
    Can loadsharing be done for inbound aswell ?
    The PIX can run OSPF on the outside, but is this "wise" ?

    Please comment and/or pop some ideas up for debate.
    Please back your opion up with reason and/or URLs

    Kind regards
    Martin Bilgrav
    Martin Bilgrav, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Re: Redundant Internet with two routers ?

    no-one has any inputs ??

    Martin Bilgrav, Sep 27, 2004