    My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?

    tia
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 30, 2006

  2. "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have 2 PCs with XP Pro.
    >
    > If I enable Simple File Sharing, share a folder on each and make sure
    > boths PCs are in the same workgroup and subnet, then I can share files
    > back and forth easily from either PC.
    >
    > If Simple File Sharing is not enabled, however, I can't access shared
    > folders on one PC from the other, even if I give Everyone full
    > permissions on each PC.
    >
    > My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?
    >
    > tia
    > jd

    Check these out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/en-us

    Atlas Shrugged, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Jimmy Dean

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:53:03 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >I have 2 PCs with XP Pro.
    >
    >If I enable Simple File Sharing, share a folder on each and make sure
    >boths PCs are in the same workgroup and subnet, then I can share files
    >back and forth easily from either PC.
    >
    >If Simple File Sharing is not enabled, however, I can't access shared
    >folders on one PC from the other, even if I give Everyone full
    >permissions on each PC.
    >
    >My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?

    It makes it work :)

    How strange, I always make sure it's turned off and file sharing works
    fine.

    In the 1st article this is an issue, "Remote users always authenticate
    as the Guest account."
    I always disable the guest account on systems at home and it's been a
    policy at work as well for many years. This means a but more in the way
    of setup, generally I create a file sharing user account and limit the
    access to specific folders only, even as far as RO for a frolder tree /
    RW to single folders.

    Certain assumptions are made about trusting the other PCs,
    http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/desktop/windows/windowsxp/
    http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/6J00J2KEUE.html

    Another MS link (or 2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=300489
    Description of the Guest account in Windows XP

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...roddocs/en-us/ua_provide_guest_account_w.mspx
    To turn the guest account on or off

    How to change settings if needed
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Windows_XP_Your_Definitive_Lockdown_Guide.html