    like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,

    Thanks for any help,
    Jim
    Jim Jones, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Jim Jones

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Jim Jones
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
    > can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
    > directly to that link.
    >
    > I know it can be done, just forget how.
    >
    > Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
    > it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
    > I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
    > like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Jim

    File/Send To/Desktop (create shortcut).
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Jim Jones

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Have a wee look here for instructions http://tinyurl.com/2azqd

    --
    McPloppy ©

    { Remove both MyShoes to email me }
    { Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
    { Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
    { My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }
    Mcploppy ©, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Jim Jones

    trout Guest

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
    > can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
    > directly to that link.
    >
    > I know it can be done, just forget how.
    >
    > Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
    > it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
    > I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
    > like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Jim

    Right-click Desktop. New; Shortcut; enter address as 'Command Line';
    name it, and you're done.
    --
    "Pretty darn quick."
    trout, Apr 26, 2004
  5. Jim Jones

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:00:36 GMT, Jim Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
    >can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
    >directly to that link.
    >
    >I know it can be done, just forget how.
    >
    >Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
    >it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
    >I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
    >like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
    >
    >Thanks for any help,
    >Jim

    Right-click a blank area in the web page, select "Creare Shortcut"
    That will place a shortcut on the Desktop.

    If the right-click has been disabled, click "Favorites", "Add to
    Favorites....", then copy the shortcut from the Favorite list and paste it
    to the Desktop.
    Unk, Apr 26, 2004
  6. Jim Jones

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Unk decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:00:36 GMT, Jim Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that
    >> I can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it
    >> dial up directly to that link.
    >>
    >> I know it can be done, just forget how.
    >>
    >> Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
    >> it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
    >> I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to
    >> look like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >> Jim

    > Right-click a blank area in the web page, select "Creare Shortcut"
    > That will place a shortcut on the Desktop.
    >
    > If the right-click has been disabled, click "Favorites", "Add to
    > Favorites....", then copy the shortcut from the Favorite list and
    > paste it to the Desktop.

    Quicker still :

    Alt-F / E / S
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Jim Jones

    Pat Guest

    Simply add your link to your "favorites" folder.Go to the folder & right
    click on the desired link.Select "send to" then click "desktop as a
    shortcut"

    Pat, Apr 27, 2004
  8. Jim Jones

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Jim Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
    > can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
    > directly to that link.
    >
    > I know it can be done, just forget how.
    >
    > Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
    > it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
    > I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
    > like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Jim

    Okay - here's what I do...using IE. You're at the web site, right? You want
    to get right back there quick, right? Click on the icon in the address line
    (in front of the http:) and drag it to the desktop. Ta-da!

    Toolman
    Toolman Tim, Apr 27, 2004
  9. Jim Jones

    Jim Jones Guest

    Thank you,

    All have been fine suggestions.
    I should have known how simple it was.

    I've been using it, by creating a folder on my desktop and placing the
    links in there.

    One more trivial thing:

    I'd like to create my own icon for the links to certain pages.
    Anyone know how I can do that, like I see some sites do ?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Jones, May 1, 2004
  10. MicroAngelo will help you create icons. It's not free, but a damn
    fine program for the money.....or I could upload my 12MB icon file
    somewhere. I'm sure there would be one in that bunch somewhere you
    might like....;oD Just say where....;o)

    Jim Jones <> chiseled in stone, the
    following words news::

    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
    @}-}-------Rosee, May 1, 2004
  11. Jim Jones

    trout Guest

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > Thank you,
    >
    > All have been fine suggestions.
    > I should have known how simple it was.
    >
    > I've been using it, by creating a folder on my desktop and placing the
    > links in there.
    >
    > One more trivial thing:
    >
    > I'd like to create my own icon for the links to certain pages.
    > Anyone know how I can do that, like I see some sites do ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Indeed, there are many (one of my favourite hobbies).
    One of the handy things about Irfanview (aside from being a great
    all-around viewer) is the right-click context menu. You can find an
    image of approximately the righ size; (use the program to resize or crop
    it, if necessary) and choose 'Convert to icon' from the menu.
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    For image fiddling or building them from the ground up; a good
    program is Pixel Toolbox. Easy to use and funky effects.
    http://www.axiomx.com/PixelToolbox/
    --
    "And both are freeware."
    trout, May 2, 2004