    the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
    *not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily readable.
    Fixes? Work-arounds?

    Robert Baer, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Robert Baer

    babaloo Guest

    Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
    least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
    Word 97, just more stable.
    I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
    You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
    intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
    I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
    complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
    of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
    you have complex formatting requirements.
    If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
    Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
    boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
    out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
    sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Maybe you should study the help files?

    babaloo, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Robert Baer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <wzs9i.12895$>, babaloo
    <> writes
    >Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
    >least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
    >Word 97, just more stable.
    >I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
    >You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
    >intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
    >I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
    >complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
    >of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
    >you have complex formatting requirements.
    >If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
    >Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
    >boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
    >out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
    >sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    >Maybe you should study the help files?

    Open office anyone?....
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    babaloo wrote:
    > Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
    > least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
    > Word 97, just more stable.
    > I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
    > You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
    > intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
    > I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
    > complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
    > of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
    > you have complex formatting requirements.
    > If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
    > Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
    > boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
    > out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
    > sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    > Maybe you should study the help files?

    I have found absolutely NO WAY to change the font size for page numbers.
    I was hoping that a work-around might be (automatic) page numbering
    in the text area itself, but it seems the only auto page numbering is in
    header or footer.
    So, *how* does one change the font size of those "page numbers" that
    are so small they can hardly be seen?

    Robert Baer, Jun 7, 2007
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    tony sayer wrote:

    > In article <wzs9i.12895$>, babaloo
    > <> writes
    >
    >>Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
    >>least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
    >>Word 97, just more stable.
    >>I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
    >>You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
    >>intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
    >>I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
    >>complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
    >>of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
    >>you have complex formatting requirements.
    >>If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
    >>Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
    >>boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
    >>out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
    >>sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    >>Maybe you should study the help files?
    >>

    > Open office anyone?....

    Too late..document transfer is ugly.

    Robert Baer, Jun 7, 2007
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    babaloo wrote:

    > Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
    > least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
    > Word 97, just more stable.
    > I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
    > You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
    > intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
    > I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
    > complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
    > of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
    > you have complex formatting requirements.
    > If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
    > Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
    > boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
    > out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
    > sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    > Maybe you should study the help files?

    If one starts with a new document, and types in a short line with a
    >CR> or "hard return", and inserts a picture below it, then uses Format

    / picture, there is a problem.
    Selecting placement as behind text and "center" does *not* make it
    so; you have to do it a second time before all is OK.
    This ain't "fancy" by any means and the damn program should "follow"
    instructions - else why the stupid options?

    Robert Baer, Jun 7, 2007
  7. Robert Baer

    Guest

    On 6 Jun, 04:32, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    > I absolutely hate MS Nerd; it is so klunky, does not do what you tell
    > it to do, constantly un-does spell ignores, etc & etc.
    >
    > Aggrivating problem #1: Insert a picture beneath a line of text
    > (makes no difference if empty lines exist below or not). Then Format and
    > tell it *beneath* text and centered. Move the picture some. Format is
    > now *in front" and "any" (or something like that). SO am *forced* to
    > format the damn picture !twice! every time.
    > Fixes? Work-arounds?
    >
    > Aggrivating problem #2: Page numbering seems to be available only in
    > headers and footers, and there is *NO* way to change the type size or
    > the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
    > *not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily readable.
    > Fixes? Work-arounds?

    try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
    newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)

    I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
    95 prob did too!!
    Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.

    For page numbers
    insert...page number
    Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
    each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
    you push enter.

    You've got that far.

    Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
    whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
    whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).

    And you can change the font size.

    Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
    change it on every page - every current page and every new page.

    There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
    whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
    +SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.

    In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!

    Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!

    , Jun 12, 2007
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:
    > On 6 Jun, 04:32, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >
    >> I absolutely hate MS Nerd; it is so klunky, does not do what you tell
    >>it to do, constantly un-does spell ignores, etc & etc.
    >>
    >> Aggrivating problem #1: Insert a picture beneath a line of text
    >>(makes no difference if empty lines exist below or not). Then Format and
    >>tell it *beneath* text and centered. Move the picture some. Format is
    >>now *in front" and "any" (or something like that). SO am *forced* to
    >>format the damn picture !twice! every time.
    >> Fixes? Work-arounds?
    >>
    >> Aggrivating problem #2: Page numbering seems to be available only in
    >>headers and footers, and there is *NO* way to change the type size or
    >>the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
    >>*not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily readable.
    >> Fixes? Work-arounds?

    > try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
    > newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)
    >
    > I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
    > 95 prob did too!!
    > Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.
    >
    > For page numbers
    > insert...page number
    > Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
    > each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
    > you push enter.
    >
    > You've got that far.
    >
    > Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
    > whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
    > whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).
    >
    > And you can change the font size.
    >
    > Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
    > change it on every page - every current page and every new page.
    >
    > There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
    > whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
    > +SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.
    >

    > In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!
    >
    > Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!

    Thanks; i will try that.
    "Nerd" is so crappy that i am afraid of experimenting, for fear of
    totaly ruining the document.

    Robert Baer, Jun 13, 2007
  9. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 6 Jun, 04:32, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I absolutely hate MS Nerd; it is so klunky, does not do what you tell
    >>> it to do, constantly un-does spell ignores, etc & etc.
    >>>
    >>> Aggrivating problem #1: Insert a picture beneath a line of text
    >>> (makes no difference if empty lines exist below or not). Then Format and
    >>> tell it *beneath* text and centered. Move the picture some. Format is
    >>> now *in front" and "any" (or something like that). SO am *forced* to
    >>> format the damn picture !twice! every time.
    >>> Fixes? Work-arounds?
    >>>
    >>> Aggrivating problem #2: Page numbering seems to be available only in
    >>> headers and footers, and there is *NO* way to change the type size or
    >>> the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
    >>> *not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily
    >>> readable.
    >>> Fixes? Work-arounds?

    >> try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
    >> newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)
    >>
    >> I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
    >> 95 prob did too!!
    >> Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.
    >>
    >> For page numbers
    >> insert...page number
    >> Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
    >> each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
    >> you push enter.
    >>
    >> You've got that far.
    >>
    >> Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
    >> whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
    >> whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).
    >>
    >> And you can change the font size.
    >>
    >> Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
    >> change it on every page - every current page and every new page.
    >>
    >> There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
    >> whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
    >> +SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.
    >>

    >> In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!
    >>
    >> Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!
    >>

    > Thanks; i will try that.
    > "Nerd" is so crappy that i am afraid of experimenting, for fear of
    > totaly ruining the document.

    THANKS!! That worked (btw, i am using Nerd 2000).

    Robert Baer, Jun 13, 2007
  10. Robert Baer

    Guest

    On 13 Jun, 17:45, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > >> try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
    > >> newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)

    > >> I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
    > >> 95 prob did too!!
    > >> Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.

    > >> For page numbers
    > >> insert...page number
    > >> Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
    > >> each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
    > >> you push enter.

    > >> You've got that far.

    > >> Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
    > >> whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
    > >> whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).

    > >> And you can change the font size.

    > >> Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
    > >> change it on every page - every current page and every new page.

    > >> There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
    > >> whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
    > >> +SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.

    > >> In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!

    > >> Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!

    > > Thanks; i will try that.
    > > "Nerd" is so crappy that i am afraid of experimenting, for fear of
    > > totaly ruining the document.

    > THANKS!! That worked (btw, i am using Nerd 2000).

    You shouldn't call it Ms Nerd. Considering that you are talking to
    nerds, and people that value being a nerd. Obviously if you were more
    of a nerd, you wouldn't have this problem. And fortunately for you,
    you're nerdy enough to be able to ask your question in a newsgroup.

    Ms Word is no more 'nerdy' than any other piece of GUI software.
    Except that it works well. And that's why you and others use it. And
    that's why Open Office "cloned" it.

    Most people are fortunate enough not to be doing the GIRLY job of
    writing "documents" full of pictures, inserting pictures in there.

    Regarding your spelling ignore.. If word is for some reason undoing
    it.. Then why not instead of right clicking the word and choosing
    ignore. Choose ADD. Then the word is added to the dictionary, and word
    won't put a red squiggly line under it, and it'll still spell check
    your document as you write it.

    PLAY with Word. Don't be afraid to "ruin a document".
    You open a new document and run tests in it. As with LEARNING
    ANYTHING. Be it a new programming language, a piece of software, a new
    skill, e.t.c. You don't experiment with your word. You experiment on
    something that doesn't matter - something that can get screwed up.

    Your issues are philosophical.

    , Jun 13, 2007
  11. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:

    > On 13 Jun, 17:45, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> Thanks; i will try that.
    >>> "Nerd" is so crappy that i am afraid of experimenting, for fear of
    >>>totaly ruining the document.

    >> THANKS!! That worked (btw, i am using Nerd 2000).

    > You shouldn't call it Ms Nerd. Considering that you are talking to
    > nerds, and people that value being a nerd. Obviously if you were more
    > of a nerd, you wouldn't have this problem. And fortunately for you,
    > you're nerdy enough to be able to ask your question in a newsgroup.
    >
    > Ms Word is no more 'nerdy' than any other piece of GUI software.
    > Except that it works well. And that's why you and others use it. And
    > that's why Open Office "cloned" it.
    >
    > Most people are fortunate enough not to be doing the GIRLY job of
    > writing "documents" full of pictures, inserting pictures in there.
    >
    > Regarding your spelling ignore.. If word is for some reason undoing
    > it.. Then why not instead of right clicking the word and choosing
    > ignore. Choose ADD. Then the word is added to the dictionary, and word
    > won't put a red squiggly line under it, and it'll still spell check
    > your document as you write it.
    >
    > PLAY with Word. Don't be afraid to "ruin a document".
    > You open a new document and run tests in it. As with LEARNING
    > ANYTHING. Be it a new programming language, a piece of software, a new
    > skill, e.t.c. You don't experiment with your word. You experiment on
    > something that doesn't matter - something that can get screwed up.
    >
    > Your issues are philosophical.

    I agree, i should not insult people if the term "nerd" when applied
    to M$ Word is applied in a deragatory fashion.
    Perhaps i should re-name it M$ Turd?

    Robert Baer, Jun 14, 2007
  12. Robert Baer

    Guest

    On Jun 14, 9:20 am, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> THANKS!! That worked (btw, i am using Nerd 2000).

    > > You shouldn't call it Ms Nerd. Considering that you are talking to
    > > nerds, and people that value being a nerd. Obviously if you were more
    > > of a nerd, you wouldn't have this problem. And fortunately for you,
    > > you're nerdy enough to be able to ask your question in a newsgroup.

    > > Ms Word is no more 'nerdy' than any other piece of GUI software.
    > > Except that it works well. And that's why you and others use it. And
    > > that's why Open Office "cloned" it.

    > > Most people are fortunate enough not to be doing the GIRLY job of
    > > writing "documents" full of pictures, inserting pictures in there.

    > > Regarding your spelling ignore.. If word is for some reason undoing
    > > it.. Then why not instead of right clicking the word and choosing
    > > ignore. Choose ADD. Then the word is added to the dictionary, and word
    > > won't put a red squiggly line under it, and it'll still spell check
    > > your document as you write it.

    > > PLAY with Word. Don't be afraid to "ruin a document".
    > > You open a new document and run tests in it. As with LEARNING
    > > ANYTHING. Be it a new programming language, a piece of software, a new
    > > skill, e.t.c. You don't experiment with your word. You experiment on
    > > something that doesn't matter - something that can get screwed up.

    > > Your issues are philosophical.

    > I agree, i should not insult people if the term "nerd" when applied
    > to M$ Word is applied in a deragatory fashion.
    > Perhaps i should re-name it M$ Turd?-

    Well, since you didn't even try double clicking the page number as an
    attempt to edit it, I don't think the problem there was with MS Word.

    Your picture issue also probably has a simple solution.

    I just tried , where the inserted picture is clipart.

    I see, I inserted a picture.
    Typed line below it.
    (I don't tell word to put the text below the picture. I did it
    myself).

    Then since I had put some ENTERs below the picture, I was able to drag
    the picture, or actually, the text and the picture, down. (Highlight
    them both and drag them down).

    And lo and behold, as you said, they lost their alignment, no longer
    aligned center.
    (I have no idea what you mean about the picture being in front, or
    any. I don't see how that is relevant anyway).

    The solution to this, the reason why it aligned left, is because the
    lines below the picture were aligned left.

    This time insery the picture, put the text beneath it. Hit ENTER many
    times.
    Now before you drag the picture and text.
    Highlight the lines below the picture and text, and Align Center (CTRL
    +M - M as in middle, as oppose to L or R)

    Now when you drag the picture and text down, they will stay in the
    middle

    Any software requires minimal experimentation. It's more your fault,
    than the software.

    I think it's wise to say.. They are 3 types of people in this world.
    Those that can use MS Word. And maybe another type that can't at all.
    I don't normally run into people that can half use it.

    I guess - like most people - you can't fix your own computer either.
    See, it's YOU !!

    , Jun 14, 2007
  13. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    wrote:

> [...]

    > The solution to this, the reason why it aligned left, is because the
    > lines below the picture were aligned left.
    >
    > This time insery the picture, put the text beneath it. Hit ENTER many
    > times.
    > Now before you drag the picture and text.
    > Highlight the lines below the picture and text, and Align Center (CTRL
    > +M - M as in middle, as oppose to L or R)
    >
    > Now when you drag the picture and text down, they will stay in the
    > middle
    >
    > Any software requires minimal experimentation. It's more your fault,
    > than the software.
    >
    > I think it's wise to say.. They are 3 types of people in this world.
    > Those that can use MS Word. And maybe another type that can't at all.
    > I don't normally run into people that can half use it.
    >
    > I guess - like most people - you can't fix your own computer either.

    The reason i want the picture behind the text, is so i can add
    comments in the "middle" of the picture.
    Even with one line of text at the top, it matters not if there are
    <CR>s below that line.
    Inserting a picture right below that line requires the formatting
    twice unless one is willing to live with the default placement / formatting.
    So, i am stuck in formatting twice.

    Robert Baer, Jun 15, 2007
  14. Robert Baer

    Guest

    On 15 Jun, 01:23, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > The reason i want the picture behind the text, is so i can add
    > comments in the "middle" of the picture.
    > Even with one line of text at the top, it matters not if there are
    > <CR>s below that line.
    > Inserting a picture right below that line requires the formatting
    > twice unless one is willing to live with the default placement / formatting.
    > So, i am stuck in formatting twice.

    I just tried with wordart (insert.. ) and tried to write text over it,
    or through it but that didn't work.

    then i remembered, I always dra a Textbox. I put text in that. I can
    then place text / the box absolutely anywhere. In your case, you can
    set the textbox to "no fill" and "no line". Put the box in the middle
    of the picture.

    I am able to push enter below the thing below the thing (picture with
    a textbox over it). And I can drag both down together into the new
    lines i've created. Or I can push enter above it, creating new lines
    above it, moving it down.

    I don't think i've ever asked word to align text in relation to
    pictures.

    Here I ramble..
    A real side point regarding moving these things.. If drawing e.g. a
    square, there is an option to not have it move when ENTER is pressed
    above it. If you right click it ..format..layout..advanced.."move
    object with text". Can uncheck that. I think that's the option
    anyway. Not relevant to you, but since I mentioned about pictures
    getting moved down when ENTER is held over it.. And also, this is an
    option that I hadn't noticed, I only found it by googling the problem.

    Another side point..
    In html, I vaguely recall that you can move images or text, anywhere,
    given co-ordinates. With stylesheets, using inline tag <span>.
    A great feature.. The textbox in ms word also allows this concept of
    moving the text whereever you want. And they really go anywhere, the
    stuff you move the textbox over is untouched. No lines move anywhere.
    The textbox overlaps the background and sits in front.

    Also, in html, you have the issue of putting text on the same 'line'
    as an image, that's the standard way, and it's ugly as hell. Above or
    below isn't too bad. But by the side doesn't look good. Ms Word seems
    to be similar with text and images.

    , Jun 15, 2007