    certificate envelope, and does it have your name on it, or is it just a generic
    $5 off thing?

    Fire3Sky
    Fire3Sky, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Fire3Sky

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Fire3Sky wrote:
    > I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
    > a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
    > everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
    > you a $5 gift certificate.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what the gift certificates look like
    > when you get them in the mail - is the amount you spent printed on the gift
    > certificate envelope, and does it have your name on it, or is it just a generic
    > $5 off thing?
    >
    > Fire3Sky

    you get a 5 dollar discount on anything from bestbuy (as long as you buy
    in the near future -- approximately 2 months) for each 125 dollars
    spent. It works out to a 4% discount. The coupon is generic but has a
    barcode. I've accumulated 80 dollars worth of discounts, because you
    can get bonus points at times for special purchases or filling out on
    line forms.

    dick
    -- and I got my membership for free.
    Dick Sidbury, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Fire3Sky

    KING B MAN Guest

    It's just Best Buy's version to Sam Goody's Instant Replay. I also found out
    Best Buy owns Sam Goody. So if it works for Sam, it works for best buy.
    Mike
    And now a shameless act of self promotion. Check out my website for the best
    and the worst of British films.
    pre-order your copy of The Monster Club. Street date 03/30/04
    http://hometown.aol.com/kingbman/myhomepage/intro.html
    KING B MAN, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Fire3Sky

    Eric Guest

    <<I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks
    mentioned a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then
    they scan it everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent
    around $100 they send you a $5 gift certificate.>>

    I think it is a good program if you spend a good amount of money at Best
    Buy like I do. You spend about $125 and you will receive a $5 gift
    cerificate in the mail. They also have double point offers on special
    purchases and such. I enrolled in it when I bought my new television
    and surround sound system there, and I also make many dvd purchases
    there per week.

    I would say that the program would be worth it even if you only shop
    there once a week on new release Tuesdays. You would be surprised as to
    how fast you'll earn certificates just by that alone.

    <<Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what the gift certificates
    look like when you get them in the mail - is the amount you spent
    printed on the gift certificate envelope, and does it have your name on
    it, or is it just a generic $5 off thing?>>

    My certifcates come with my Reward Zone member number on it and a bar
    code for the cashier to scan.

    Eric
    Eric, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Fire3Sky

    TSKO Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > Fire3Sky wrote:
    > > I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks

    mentioned
    > > a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan

    it
    > > everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they

    send
    > > you a $5 gift certificate.
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what the gift certificates look

    like
    > > when you get them in the mail - is the amount you spent printed on the

    gift
    > > certificate envelope, and does it have your name on it, or is it just a

    generic
    > > $5 off thing?
    > >
    > > Fire3Sky

    > you get a 5 dollar discount on anything from bestbuy (as long as you buy
    > in the near future -- approximately 2 months) for each 125 dollars
    > spent. It works out to a 4% discount. The coupon is generic but has a
    > barcode. I've accumulated 80 dollars worth of discounts, because you
    > can get bonus points at times for special purchases or filling out on
    > line forms.
    >
    > dick
    > -- and I got my membership for free.

    I got my membership for free also....and have earned about $150 worth of
    those suckers. It takes awhile to get them in the mail...but when you do,
    its a nice little treat (especially when you are short of cash one wk for
    dvd purchases). Anyways, I think its a good deal and when my membership is
    up, I will pay for a new one. Well worth it...for me that is.
    TSKO, Apr 1, 2004
  6. That's the worst title for a sequel to Q - The Winged Serpent imaginable.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Apr 15, 2004
  7. Fire3Sky

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Fire3Sky) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
    > a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
    > everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
    > you a $5 gift certificate.

    So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
    bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
    giving you jack?

    Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
    brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
    to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Apr 15, 2004
  8. Fire3Sky

    Tarkus Guest

    On 4/15/2004 2:47:21 PM, Jordan Lund wrote:

    > So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
    > bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
    > giving you jack?

    Yes, but that don't offer that option.

    > Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
    > brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
    > to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.

    Not true, because you can save money that way while *still* earning
    reward points. It's not an either/or proposition.
    --
    "I may be bad...but I feel gooood."

    Now playing: the radio
    Tarkus, Apr 16, 2004
  9. Tarkus () writes:
    > On 4/15/2004 2:47:21 PM, Jordan Lund wrote:
    >
    >> So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
    >> bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
    >> giving you jack?

    > Yes, but that don't offer that option.
    >
    >> Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
    >> brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
    >> to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.

    > Not true, because you can save money that way while *still* earning
    > reward points. It's not an either/or proposition.

    I suspect the value may depend on the person's spending habits, and interests.

    For a number of years, I had a "reward card" for one the big bookstore
    chain here in Canada. The first time, they offered it for free if
    I bought a book over X amount, and there was a book I wanted. Why
    not, I said. I collected enough points to get a five dollar rebate,
    and in that card's case, it gave a regular discount of ten percent.
    When I had to pay ten dollars for the renewal, I decided I was
    making enough off the card. So I renewed a couple of times, and
    get some small rebates.

    But when they dropped the rebates late last year, I decided it
    wasn't worth it. I didn't spend all that much, so I wasn't getting
    a large rebate, and I justified the price of the card because I
    was getting some of it back. I could buy some things at the chain
    that didn't carry the discount (CDs, DVDs, magazines) but did count
    towards the rebate. Without the rebate, they counted for nothing
    and there was nothing to make me want to buy those things there.

    Michael
    Michael Black, Apr 16, 2004
  10. Fire3Sky

    Galley Guest

    On 15 Apr 2004 14:47:21 -0700, (Jordan Lund) spewed forth
    these words of wisdom:

    > (Fire3Sky) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
    >> a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
    >> everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
    >> you a $5 gift certificate.

    >So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
    >bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
    >giving you jack?
    >
    >Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
    >brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
    >to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.
    >
    >- Jordan

    The first year's membership was free for me. I have received more than $85 in
    certificates so far. :)

    --
    Save Pepsi Blue!
    Help save our beloved beverage
    Galley, Apr 16, 2004
  11. Fire3Sky

    DigitalDeude Guest

    Jordan Lund wrote:
    > (Fire3Sky) wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
    >>a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
    >>everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
    >>you a $5 gift certificate.

    > So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
    > bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
    > giving you jack?
    >
    > Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
    > brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
    > to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.
    >
    > - Jordan

    I bought a computer, lcd monitor, printer/scanner/fax at Best Buy just
    after Christmas and paid the $10 for the Rewards Card, knowing instantly
    that it would yield me $70 or so in Reward Coupons. I got $70 in
    coupons so far, spent about $50 of them on DVD's :)

    If you buy a DVD every other week or so it's not a good deal IMHO.
    DigitalDeude, Apr 16, 2004
  12. >Now playing: the radio

    Most of the radio shows and most of the tv shows originating in my area is like
    a bowl of granola cereal.

    You take out all the nuts and fruits, and you still have a bunch of flakes
    left.
    Waterperson77, Apr 17, 2004