    Anyone replaced/quieted theirs-if so, with what/how?
    TIA for any info
    -Darl [Pleb]

    Pleb Plebian, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Pleb Plebian

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:38:26 +1200, Pleb Plebian wrote:

    > Seriously considering setting mine up as an XBMC-but fan noise is a major
    > downer.
    > Anyone replaced/quieted theirs-if so, with what/how?
    > TIA for any info
    > -Darl [Pleb]

    If you install XBMC, it has the facility for controlling fan speed built in
    in some menu in the back of beyond.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #4848 +(5380)- [X]

    <ohm> damn
    <ohm> ****
    <ohm> DAMN
    <ohm> i was just in an AIM convo with a chick, and my grandmother's window
    pops up
    <ohm> ****
    <ohm> i go like this to her
    <ohm> "i want to suck on your clit"
    <ohm> ****

    Note: All my comments are copyright 31/08/2006 12:21:04 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:38:26 +1200, Pleb Plebian wrote:
    >
    > > Seriously considering setting mine up as an XBMC-but fan noise is a

    major
    > > downer.
    > > Anyone replaced/quieted theirs-if so, with what/how?
    > > TIA for any info
    > > -Darl [Pleb]

    > If you install XBMC, it has the facility for controlling fan speed built

    in
    > in some menu in the back of beyond.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ... Brendan

    Thanks Brendan: looks like I'd better go looking for a modchip then :)
    Cheers
    -D

    Pleb Plebian, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Pleb Plebian

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:54:35 +1200, Pleb Plebian wrote:

    > Thanks Brendan: looks like I'd better go looking for a modchip then :)

    No problem. I got a cheap one off some nz outfit a year or two back. Pretty
    fiddly to solder it in, NO instructions (had to scour the web), but got
    there in the end.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #207373 +(8140)- [X]

    <anamexis> oh man
    <anamexis> I was opening a coke, right
    --> Beefpile (~) has joined #themacmind
    <anamexis> and it exploded
    <anamexis> ALMOST all over my keyboard
    <anamexis> but I got it away just in time
    <-- Beefpile has quit (sick fuckers)
    <anamexis> :<

    Note: All my comments are copyright 31/08/2006 12:11:31 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 31, 2006
  5. T'was the Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:12:35 +1200 when I remembered Brendan
    <> saying something like this:

    >> Thanks Brendan: looks like I'd better go looking for a modchip then :)

    >No problem. I got a cheap one off some nz outfit a year or two back. Pretty
    >fiddly to solder it in, NO instructions (had to scour the web), but got
    >there in the end.

    I got a modchip fitted with all the software (XBMC etc...) for $70 +
    $20 to fit a hard drive. Seemed reasonable, considering I got the
    second hand Xbox from EB for $150.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Pleb Plebian

    Mike Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:12:35 +1200 when I remembered Brendan
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>> Thanks Brendan: looks like I'd better go looking for a modchip then :)

    >> No problem. I got a cheap one off some nz outfit a year or two back. Pretty
    >> fiddly to solder it in, NO instructions (had to scour the web), but got
    >> there in the end.

    > I got a modchip fitted with all the software (XBMC etc...) for $70 +
    > $20 to fit a hard drive. Seemed reasonable, considering I got the
    > second hand Xbox from EB for $150.

    Depending on the version of your Xbox, you may have to contend with a
    GPU fan as well - I've got a version 1.0 Xbox and while the XBMC fan
    speed utility works well it does nothing for the whiny fan on the GPU
    (thankfully, once there's sound coming off it, you don't notice it).
    Later revisions don't have the GPU fan.

    Also note that it's not necessary to go the modchip route if you a low
    version (1.0 to 1.5) Xbox - by soldering two bridges to make the TSOP
    writable and flashing it with a new BIOS, you can go modded for very
    little cost. Note that this method completely kills any chance you might
    have of using Xbox Live however it works well (I've done two like this)
    and is essentially free once you get your hands on a Xbox memory card
    and a copy of either 007 Agent Under Fire or Mechwarrior (hire them!).

    More details here:

    http://www.biline.ca/xbox_mod.htm

    Mike.

    Mike, Sep 1, 2006
  7. Pleb Plebian

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > > T'was the Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:12:35 +1200 when I remembered Brendan
    > > <> saying something like this:

    :)
    > >> No problem. I got a cheap one off some nz outfit a year or two back.

    Pretty
    > >> fiddly to solder it in, NO instructions (had to scour the web), but got
    > >> there in the end.

    > > I got a modchip fitted with all the software (XBMC etc...) for $70 +
    > > $20 to fit a hard drive. Seemed reasonable, considering I got the
    > > second hand Xbox from EB for $150.

    > Depending on the version of your Xbox, you may have to contend with a
    > GPU fan as well - I've got a version 1.0 Xbox and while the XBMC fan
    > speed utility works well it does nothing for the whiny fan on the GPU
    > (thankfully, once there's sound coming off it, you don't notice it).
    > Later revisions don't have the GPU fan.
    >
    > Also note that it's not necessary to go the modchip route if you a low
    > version (1.0 to 1.5) Xbox - by soldering two bridges to make the TSOP
    > writable and flashing it with a new BIOS, you can go modded for very
    > little cost. Note that this method completely kills any chance you might
    > have of using Xbox Live however it works well (I've done two like this)
    > and is essentially free once you get your hands on a Xbox memory card
    > and a copy of either 007 Agent Under Fire or Mechwarrior (hire them!).
    >
    > More details here:
    >
    > http://www.biline.ca/xbox_mod.htm
    >

    > Mike.

    Mike: yr a star! Looks like mine is v1.4: am aiming to pull apart over the
    weekend and do a chip-check. If the local VidEZ has a suitable game copy,
    I'm in-else it looks like a modchip from xmods. Definitely worth checking
    tho: thanks very much.
    Cheers
    -D

    Pleb Plebian, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Pleb Plebian

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, Brendan <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:54:35 +1200, Pleb Plebian wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Brendan: looks like I'd better go looking for a modchip then :)

    >No problem. I got a cheap one off some nz outfit a year or two back. Pretty
    >fiddly to solder it in, NO instructions (had to scour the web), but got
    >there in the end.

    I fitted a quiet PC fan. Had to do a lot of cutting on the box to get it to
    fit.

    Now how do I quieten the DVD drive??

    S Roby, Sep 8, 2006
  9. Pleb Plebian

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:57:01 GMT, S Roby wrote:

    > I fitted a quiet PC fan. Had to do a lot of cutting on the box to get it to
    > fit.
    >
    > Now how do I quieten the DVD drive??

    change it too.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #23396 +(18074)- [X]

    <Donut[AFK]> HEY EURAKARTE
    <Donut[AFK]> INSULT
    <Eurakarte> RETORT
    <Donut[AFK]> COUNTER-RETORT
    <Eurakarte> QUESTIONING OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE
    <Donut[AFK]> SUGGESTION TO SHUT THE **** UP
    <Eurakarte> NOTATION THAT YOU CREATE A VACUUM
    <Donut[AFK]> RIPOSTE
    <Donut[AFK]> ADDON RIPOSTE
    <Eurakarte> COUNTER-RIPOSTE
    <Donut[AFK]> COUNTER-COUNTER RIPOSTE
    <Eurakarte> NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON
    <Miles_Prower> RESPONSE TO RANDOM STATEMENT AND THREAT TO BAN OPPOSING
    SIDES
    <Eurakarte> WORDS OF PRAISE FOR FISHFOOD
    <Miles_Prower> ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ACCEPTENCE OF TERMS

    Note: All my comments are copyright 9/09/2006 1:31:40 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 9, 2006