Q: Do I only need wireless card in my laptop?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Michael T, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Michael T

    Michael T Guest

    I am expecting my new Dell Notebook to arrive next month with a wireless
    card installed (an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal).

    I have also purchased a Linksys wireless router so I can use my notebook
    anywhere in my house with a Dell desktop as the host (in my bedroom).

    I just need a simple question answered by you gurus.

    Do I need a wireless card in my desktop (the hub/host) - or only in my
    notebook? The reason I ask is the Linksys manual says to connect an Ethernet
    cable between the router and my ADSL modem.

    So I would need to disconnect the Ethernet cable between my desktop and the
    cable modem. Therefore I am left wondering how does the desktop "talk to"
    the ADSL modem (and the wireless router)?

    Michael

    Michael T, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Michael T

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Do I only need wireless card in my laptop?

    Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:32:49 -0700

    I am expecting my new Dell Notebook to arrive next month with a
    wireless card installed (an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal).

    I have also purchased a Linksys wireless router so I can use my
    notebook anywhere in my house with a Dell desktop as the host
    (in my bedroom).

    I just need a simple question answered by you gurus.

    Do I need a wireless card in my desktop (the hub/host) - or
    only in my notebook? The reason I ask is the Linksys manual
    says to connect an Ethernet cable between the router and my
    ADSL modem.

    So I would need to disconnect the Ethernet cable between my
    desktop and the cable modem. Therefore I am left wondering how
    does the desktop "talk to" the ADSL modem (and the wireless
    router)?

    Hi Michael... Using an ADSL and a wireless router, it doesn't really
    make much difference what is wired and what isn't. Although I like
    to have at least one computer wired. As this allows one to configure
    wireless communications without worrying about the wireless setup
    incorrectly or even turned off.

    So no, if the desktop computer is close enough for the cable to
    reach between the router and ADSL modem, no need to use wireless.
    You will need an Ethernet card or something though to interface with
    the router and ADSL though.

    Does this answer your questions? Also don't forget about wireless
    security. As a hacker can see wireless signals up to 50 miles away.
    Thus meaning on the security settings (WPA is the best), can logon
    to your network wirelessly.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 98SE)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    BillW50, Sep 30, 2005

  3. Michael T

    Michael T Guest

    Re: Do I only need wireless card in my laptop?

    Now I get it Bill - thanks to your post. It motivitaed me to do some
    additional research.

    Since I was able to download the Linksys manual before taking delivery I was
    able to see a view of the back panel.

    So it looks like the following scenario will work (with my desktop wired as
    you suggested).

    Desktop NIC (network card) >>> wireless router >> ADSL modem >>> phone
    outlet (for DSL interface)

    Thank you for the security tip also. It appears my Linksys is WPA certified.

    Michael
    ..

    Michael T, Sep 30, 2005
  4. Michael T

    Lem Guest

    Re: Do I only need wireless card in my laptop?

    If your Linksys router is relatively new, it is WPA2 capable, and your new Dell
    probably will be also. But you have to turn this security on. Out of the box,
    you will have no security at all. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html for some suggestions. Or Google for
    wireless security.

    If you read the Linksys manual you downloaded, you'll see how to do it by using
    the router configuration pages at 192.168.0.1 (if I recall correctly, the
    configuration wizard supplied by Linksys on the install CD may not give you all
    the security options). All wireless devices need to be set to the same security
    scheme (e.g., WPA2, WPA/TKIP, WEP) in addition to having the same passphrase.

    Lem, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Michael T

    Malke Guest

    Michael T wrote:

    > I am expecting my new Dell Notebook to arrive next month with a
    > wireless card installed (an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal).
    >
    > I have also purchased a Linksys wireless router so I can use my
    > notebook anywhere in my house with a Dell desktop as the host (in my
    > bedroom).
    >
    > I just need a simple question answered by you gurus.
    >
    > Do I need a wireless card in my desktop (the hub/host) - or only in my
    > notebook? The reason I ask is the Linksys manual says to connect an
    > Ethernet cable between the router and my ADSL modem.
    >
    > So I would need to disconnect the Ethernet cable between my desktop
    > and the cable modem. Therefore I am left wondering how does the
    > desktop "talk to" the ADSL modem (and the wireless router)?
    >
    > Michael

    You don't need a wireless adapter in your desktop if the desktop
    connects to the ADSL model by ethernet. You'll install the Linksys
    router to the desktop first. Put in the cd that comes with the router
    and follow instructions. You'll set up the router by accessing it from
    your browser. Change the SSID and set wireless network encryption. The
    instructions are quite clear. Basically, the router is connected by
    ethernet cable to the ADSL modem and your desktop is connected to the
    router by ethernet.

    Then you'll be able to connect with your laptop. Your laptop's wireless
    adapter will scan for networks, find your wireless, and ask for the
    encryption key. You'll enter it and then you'll be online. Here are
    some links with additional information:

    Linksys Learning Center
    http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -