Q: Deleting a file makes its folder write protected.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Quivis, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    Hi, gurus.

    On XP-Pro, if a file is deleted, its folder cannot be deleted/renamed
    before you log off and log on again. It's almost like it's getting write
    protected, even though it wasn't before.

    It does not help if I empty the recycle-bin.

    It (usually) does not help if I Shift-Delete the file; although it does
    seem like this occasionally works. No idea why.

    So, is there some setting somewhere that affects this behaviour? I mean
    if I am admin on the computer, shouldn't I own my own files? Or am I
    missing something.

    TIA

    Q.

    Quivis, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Quivis

    JabberSmith Guest

    Re: Deleting a file makes its folder write protected.

    Some folder views do that.

    Make sure you are on "details" view first. "Thumbnail" and "Icon" OPENS the
    file to see what it is... then Windows can't delete it because its OPEN.

    JabberSmith, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Quivis

    Quivis Guest

    Re: Deleting a file makes its folder write protected.

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Some folder views do that.
    >
    > Make sure you are on "details" view first. "Thumbnail" and "Icon" OPENS the
    > file to see what it is... then Windows can't delete it because its OPEN.

    Yes, that makes sense, sortta*, but I always, without exception, use the
    list view. Or is this behaving this way, too?

    Then, it wouldn't be possible to create a new folder (in list view
    mode), putting a file in it, and then deleting the folder, right? But
    this works for me, just as long as I don't delete a file in the folder,
    or renaming it.

    I have now also tried changing the properties for the parent folder to
    "Documents" instead of "Images," and turned off indexing for the parent
    folder and all sub folders and files. Still no go.

    However, if I use my own program to rename or delete the file inside,
    _then_ it works! My app uses the SHFileOperation API to rename/delete
    files. What the heck does the system use?

    Well, at least I've found out that there probably isn't a setting for
    this...unless somebody else has some more info.

    Thanks anyway for trying.

    Q.
    --
    *) I said "sortta" since after collecting the info about the file, it
    ought to close it again. If I had 3,000 files, or even more, in a

    Quivis, Aug 15, 2004