Q: Defective DX6490

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Turco, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    Hello,

    Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
    manual features.)

    Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
    "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
    when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
    directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
    that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).

    Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
    Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
    behavior?

    Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
    the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
    update (version 1.01).

    Is it possible to flash the DX6490 with the rather similar (but 5MP)
    Z740's firmware? If so, would it fix my digicam -- or, more likely, turn
    it into a permanent paperweight? (It's basically functional, at the
    moment.)

    Any other suggestions, anybody?

    Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Apr 15, 2006

  2. In article <>, John Turco
    <> wrote:

    > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
    > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
    > behavior?

    Wouldn't be my first choice. Sounds like some of the options are
    unavailable in the current operational mode. Have you tried changing
    from "Auto" to "PASM" on the mode dial?

    I don't know this camera all that well (though I have one right here)
    but I'd only try an "incorrect" firmware flash if you've given up any
    other hope for it - assuming you can flash it at all...
    Scott Schuckert, Apr 15, 2006

  3. John Turco

    Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
    > manual features.)
    >
    > Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
    > "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
    > when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
    > directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
    > that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
    >
    > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
    > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
    > behavior?
    >
    > Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
    > the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
    > update (version 1.01).
    >
    > Is it possible to flash the DX6490 with the rather similar (but 5MP)
    > Z740's firmware? If so, would it fix my digicam -- or, more likely, turn
    > it into a permanent paperweight? (It's basically functional, at the
    > moment.)
    >
    > Any other suggestions, anybody?
    >
    > Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

    Sounds like a good way to make a paperweight, actually. The cameras
    you're talking about are really separate generations; they don't have
    the same sensor, controls, or electronics. Would you flash a Pentium
    III motherboard with a Pentium 4 BIOS? After all, they're both
    Intel.....

    Your issues sound like a job for the Kodak repair technicians to me;
    how much it would cost and whether it's worth it to you you'd have to
    find out. Several companies are charging a flat repair fee no matter
    what's wrong (barring "dropped from an airplane at altitude", of
    course) - for my Oly C-5060 for instance, I've heard ~$170 with return
    shipping - a steal compared to a new camera with similar quality.

    YMMV.
    , Apr 15, 2006
  4. John Turco

    ASAAR Guest

    On 15 Apr 2006 06:09:59 EDT, John Turco wrote:

    > Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
    > manual features.)
    >
    > Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
    > "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
    > when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
    > directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
    > that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
    >
    > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
    > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
    > behavior?
    >
    > Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
    > the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
    > update (version 1.01).

    Before trying a solution that isn't related to the problem, check
    your manual to see if some of the optional settings that get skipped
    over don't appear to be appropriate for the mode that the camera is
    in. On my camera (a Fuji) various menu options aren't visible at
    all when the camera uses specific modes or has certain options
    selected or deselected. For instance, flash options aren't visible
    in Landscape Mode, and spot or average metering aren't offered in
    Auto Mode. Other cameras might show the unselectable options,
    either like all the others, or distinguished somehow, similar to
    the way Windows programs have menu options "grayed out".

    For what it's worth, most of the options are selectable when the
    camera is in one of the P, A, S or M modes, and the greatest number
    are unavailable in Auto Mode or one of the specialty modes, such as
    Landscape, Sports, Portrait and Night Scene.

    > Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

    It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
    that might mean. <g>
    ASAAR, Apr 16, 2006
  5. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:

    > In article <>, John Turco
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
    > > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
    > > behavior?

    > Wouldn't be my first choice. Sounds like some of the options are
    > unavailable in the current operational mode. Have you tried changing
    > from "Auto" to "PASM" on the mode dial?

    Hello, Scott:

    Yes, indeed. My futile efforts involved every mode; I actually ran the
    battery down, fiddling around so long. All I did was waste juice, hoping
    the camera would magically "repair" itself.

    Being in denial is a terrible thing! :)

    > I don't know this camera all that well (though I have one right here)
    > but I'd only try an "incorrect" firmware flash if you've given up any
    > other hope for it - assuming you can flash it at all...

    It's a long shot, in any case. I'm wary of rendering my DX6490
    completely worthless, in the event of an unsuccessful flash attempt.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Apr 17, 2006
  6. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
    > > manual features.)
    > >
    > > Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
    > > "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
    > > when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
    > > directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
    > > that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
    > >
    > > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
    > > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
    > > behavior?
    > >
    > > Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
    > > the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
    > > update (version 1.01).
    > >
    > > Is it possible to flash the DX6490 with the rather similar (but 5MP)
    > > Z740's firmware? If so, would it fix my digicam -- or, more likely, turn
    > > it into a permanent paperweight? (It's basically functional, at the
    > > moment.)
    > >
    > > Any other suggestions, anybody?
    > >
    > > Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

    > Sounds like a good way to make a paperweight, actually. The cameras
    > you're talking about are really separate generations; they don't have
    > the same sensor, controls, or electronics.

    Hello,

    That's just as I'd feared, and "hacking" the Z740's firmware is far
    beyond my skills.

    >Would you flash a Pentium
    > III motherboard with a Pentium 4 BIOS? After all, they're both
    > Intel.....

    Of course not. You think I'm a computer illiterate, perhaps? (Don't
    answer that! <g>)

    > Your issues sound like a job for the Kodak repair technicians to me;
    > how much it would cost and whether it's worth it to you you'd have to
    > find out. Several companies are charging a flat repair fee no matter
    > what's wrong (barring "dropped from an airplane at altitude", of
    > course) - for my Oly C-5060 for instance, I've heard ~$170 with return
    > shipping - a steal compared to a new camera with similar quality.
    >
    > YMMV.

    Well, if I could afford Kodak's servicing fee, would I be a lowly
    dial-up subscriber, in the first place? ;-) Seriously, I don't want to
    sink any more significant amounts of money into this item...as by that
    time, I could probably find a new/refurbished DX6490, for about the
    same cost.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Apr 17, 2006
  7. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On 15 Apr 2006 06:09:59 EDT, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > > Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
    > > manual features.)
    > >
    > > Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
    > > "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
    > > when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
    > > directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
    > > that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
    > >
    > > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
    > > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
    > > behavior?
    > >
    > > Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
    > > the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
    > > update (version 1.01).

    > Before trying a solution that isn't related to the problem, check
    > your manual to see if some of the optional settings that get skipped
    > over don't appear to be appropriate for the mode that the camera is
    > in. On my camera (a Fuji) various menu options aren't visible at
    > all when the camera uses specific modes or has certain options
    > selected or deselected. For instance, flash options aren't visible
    > in Landscape Mode, and spot or average metering aren't offered in
    > Auto Mode. Other cameras might show the unselectable options,
    > either like all the others, or distinguished somehow, similar to
    > the way Windows programs have menu options "grayed out".

    Hello,

    I've tried >everything<, including reading the manual and doing
    exhaustive searches on the WWW and in Usenet -- trust me! :-J

    > For what it's worth, most of the options are selectable when the
    > camera is in one of the P, A, S or M modes, and the greatest number
    > are unavailable in Auto Mode or one of the specialty modes, such as
    > Landscape, Sports, Portrait and Night Scene.

    True, my DX6490 is fully operational, from that standpoint. If, however,
    I need to delete pictures from the internal memory/SD card (or format
    either of them), I can't can't do it, in the camera, alone; I must
    connect it to my PC, via USB/Kodak's "EasyShare" software, and then use
    Windows Explorer (in WinME).

    But, that's merely one example, for which a workaround happens to exist.
    Changing any of the DX6490's default settings (e.g., resolution) is
    hopeless, unless I'm able to access its entire menu system.

    > > Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

    > It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
    > that might mean. <g>

    "In advance" means "ahead of time," for your information. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Apr 17, 2006
  8. John Turco

    ASAAR Guest

    On 16 Apr 2006 22:16:44 EDT, John Turco wrote:

    >> It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
    >> that might mean. <g>

    > "In advance" means "ahead of time," for your information. <g>

    Well, I do know that! I wondered if saying "You're welcome" in
    advance even made sense, since it was said in response to your
    "thanks in advance" which had already arrived. :)

    As for your camera's problems with the skipping joystick, it
    reminds me of problems years ago with computers that had what was
    know as a "keyboard bounce" problem, due to certain keys not making
    good electrical contact. This might not be what's happening with
    your camera if the problem is 100% repeatable, but if the skipping
    is of a somewhat random nature it might be worth seeing if an
    aerosol spray can of contact cleaner might help.

    For what it's worth, several months or a year ago I had a digital
    radio that behaved similarly. I could tune any station I wanted,
    but only a few of the station presets worked, and I couldn't change
    any of them. I had no problem turning the radio on, but could turn
    it off only with great difficulty. Some control buttons worked,
    others didn't. The radio had a reset button, but all that did was
    wipe out settings and the clock. Removing batteries for several
    minutes was tried, but that only duplicated what the reset button
    did, which wasn't of much help. Only by keeping the batteries out
    of the camera for about a full day was the radio able to be restored
    to proper functioning.

    This technique may also work for your camera, but you may or may
    not be able to do this, depending on how it was designed. If the
    DX6490 has a removable button cell for memory backup, removing all
    batteries may revive the camera quickly. But some camera
    manufacturers (Sony, for one) have a few models with internal
    rechargeable backup batteries that can't be removed. As they start
    recharging every time the camera's main batteries are installed, to
    get the same effect as removing the backup battery, the main
    batteries would have to be kept out of the camera long enough for
    the backup battery to drain. According to one of Sony's manuals,
    this would take more than a month of waiting. In any case, good
    luck with your DX6490.
    ASAAR, Apr 17, 2006
  9. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On 16 Apr 2006 22:16:44 EDT, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > >> It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
    > >> that might mean. <g>

    > > "In advance" means "ahead of time," for your information. <g>

    > Well, I do know that! I wondered if saying "You're welcome" in
    > advance even made sense, since it was said in response to your
    > "thanks in advance" which had already arrived. :)

    Hello,

    Yeah, that's what I thought. :p

    > As for your camera's problems with the skipping joystick, it
    > reminds me of problems years ago with computers that had what was
    > know as a "keyboard bounce" problem, due to certain keys not making
    > good electrical contact. This might not be what's happening with
    > your camera if the problem is 100% repeatable, but if the skipping
    > is of a somewhat random nature it might be worth seeing if an
    > aerosol spray can of contact cleaner might help.

    I'd considered the joystick, itself, as the culprit, but quickly
    dismissed it as a low probability. (And spraying >anything< into a
    delicate electronic device is a frightening prospect, especially
    for one as cautious as I am. <g>)

    > For what it's worth, several months or a year ago I had a digital
    > radio that behaved similarly. I could tune any station I wanted,
    > but only a few of the station presets worked, and I couldn't change
    > any of them. I had no problem turning the radio on, but could turn
    > it off only with great difficulty. Some control buttons worked,
    > others didn't. The radio had a reset button, but all that did was
    > wipe out settings and the clock. Removing batteries for several
    > minutes was tried, but that only duplicated what the reset button
    > did, which wasn't of much help. Only by keeping the batteries out
    > of the camera for about a full day was the radio able to be restored
    > to proper functioning.

    The DX6490's time/date option did pop up, when I first turned it on,
    after reinserting its (recharged) proprietary "KLIC-5001" Li-ion
    battery, recently. I was wishful this would be an indication that
    the camera had miraculously "reset" itself to factory perfection.

    No such luck, naturally.

    > This technique may also work for your camera, but you may or may
    > not be able to do this, depending on how it was designed. If the
    > DX6490 has a removable button cell for memory backup, removing all
    > batteries may revive the camera quickly. But some camera
    > manufacturers (Sony, for one) have a few models with internal
    > rechargeable backup batteries that can't be removed. As they start
    > recharging every time the camera's main batteries are installed, to
    > get the same effect as removing the backup battery, the main
    > batteries would have to be kept out of the camera long enough for
    > the backup battery to drain. According to one of Sony's manuals,
    > this would take more than a month of waiting.

    Unfortunately, no button cells need apply, in the Kodak's case. :)

    >In any case, good
    > luck with your DX6490.

    Thanks, I'm sure I'll need it. <g>

    Cordially,